Son left for college - update

Old 09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son left for college - update

Good news! I was able to get a private loan from my bank to make up the difference for the tuition for my son's college!

He had been counting on help from his father, as he was promised that a contribution would be coming - but it never did. His father wouldn't return his phone calls, and wouldn't answer his phone. So, my son called him at work, and his father hung up on him.

No explanation - just silence. My son was hurt, very hurt... but it also reinforced the reality of the person his father has become. Very sad.

My son left for college about 3 weeks ago. I'm banging around in a big empty house, and have been feeling a bit at loose ends - trying to figure out what the next chapter of my life will contain. Kind of suffering some 'empty-nest' feelings, but I know that will pass. I am looking forward to watching my son's life unfold before him, and it's good to know I have been a good supportive parent to him.

I know many of you out there are single parents too, and have given your all to your kids (maybe more than parents from regular healthy families) - we struggle and fight to make it right. My hat is off to all of you!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Wow.

Good for you stepping up to the plate - hooray for you!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow isurvived. Blessings on you for making that happen for your son. Children can survive so much hardship when there is even just that one person who has their back, who goes the distance for them. You've really done that for your DS!

My oldest is away at college now too. I still have another teenage son at home but I am definitely coming to grips with the "end of an era" so to speak. Their childhoods come to an end....our relationship changes....sometimes I miss the younger years and the snuggles and the bliss of bedtime stories, kissing boo-boos, looking at the moon, the wind, the rain.... I hope to be a grandma someday and experience that joy again....but I have no control over that so I'm trying to just adapt and accept and revel in whatever these days, right here, right now, have to offer!

Peace-
B
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your son may be rightly hurt by the actions of his father, but I bet his heart sings with joy every time he thinks of you. Best wishes to you both for your futures.

God bless