OT-How about that yoga!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening

OT-How about that yoga!

I've always been health conscious, always worked out, took vitamins, ate well.

Seems kind of funny now considering the 40 years of drinking and about the same of smoking. But really, it was a decision I made to kind of try and offset the other "bad" habits.

One thing on my "bucket list" for years has been to give yoga a try. Back when I had a job, seems the activity center only offered it (cheap there) at 5 pm on a couple of week days......wasn't working with my schedule.

Now with considerable time freed up, about 24 hours a day, they've moved it to 6:30 pm Monday and Wednesday.

Any way I've been going for 3 weeks now, just once a week on Wed. evenings. LMC took it with a couple of times, but it's not her "cup of tea", so she brings her DS/headphones and "zones" for the 45 minutes....works for me.

Last night as we were walking out, I noticed how different it feels compared to weight lifting, tired but relaxed, I think I'm hooked.

Any way, finally to the point of this post, I keep tabs on my blood pressure at the grocery store once a week or so. I tell LMC I'm making sure I can dance at her wedding. For a former smoker (almost 2 years CLEAN) it has remained remarkably low for my 58 years, usually between 120-130/80-90 heart rate 70-75 after just walking in and sitting down. Not great but ok.

Today, checked it at BOTH stores, two different machines, after walking all the way in from the parking lot, and both were 116-118/77 HR 64.....apparently I'm barely conscious!

The only other thing different is that god awful bran cereal I've been eating. Looks and tastes like Koi food pellets, but is so effective, I'm hit with the "urge" just from pouring it in the bowl. I know TMI.

Any way, what do you all think, I know there are a bunch of you yogie's out there.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

My mother taught yoga.

Way back when
before it was 'cool' or even considered a 'workout'.

There's lots of 'new yoga' out there
and that seems to be attracting people more
than the stuff muy mother forced on me as a kid.

I got a tape
thinking I was going to miraculously 'like it'
now that my mother isn't forcing me to do it.

hated it.

Nothing is more depressing than 'fat yoga'.

LOL!!!

But you're right -
there's tons of people doing it now.

I think I saw that wii even has a yoga disc now.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

what do you all think
Absolutely, yoga lowers blood pressure. It also decreases stress and gastrointestinal discomforts. Good for you Coyote !! I am finally GLAD to hear someone is addicted to something!!!

Good for you too for 2 years clean on the smokes!!! I relapsed again after about 7 months I am getting back on the wagon this week.

I bet after a few sessions, LMC will be trying out some yoga moves in her bedroom when no one's looking
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

"Do yoga today, so you can do it tomorrow"

I love yoga ! I find it particularly useful for circulation. I have seen great improvements on my posture too. In one of the videos they say what determines your biological age is flexibility of the column (and of ideas!).

In fact lately, instead of waking up to an annoying alarm clock and rush to work without breakfast,

I wake up by way of Dolce gently tapping my nose.
I keep my eyes closed and start stretching gently and breathing deeply.
I leave a yoga mat next to my sleeping bag (I sleep on the floor.. I got a bed, but I prefer the floor!). I roll from the sleeping bag to the yoga mat, LOL.
While on the yoga mat I do some of the easy poses then stand up gently.
Breakfast: fruit smoothie with soy milk + almonds. Vitamins.
Read "the language of letting go" for the day.

I love it !!!! then I try to do the same when going to sleep... do it gently, appreciate the transition.. from life to the yoga mat...then roll back to my sleeping bag... I have found many times I rest more doing yoga than sleeping.

I love yoga and could talk about it for days. Also, you are toned in NO time. I have lost weight too !!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was recommended to me that if you can only do ONE yoga move each day, at least do Downward Dog.

I'm so glad Coyote brought this up and we're talking about this because I need the encouragement to get started again. I am really messing up and yoga always brings me back.

Stupid cigarettes...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ooooh I'm so envious! If I could do yoga without a rather heavy 30 lbs toddler trying to HANG off me while I downward dog, then I definitely would. Yoga brought me such peace of mind, increased flexibility (a huge plus for dancing!) and strength. It might not be the best class available, but I just signed up at the Y and plan on going to their yoga classes during my lunch break.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I got out of bed, and bent over to get my shoes this morning. Does that count?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a really good yoga teacher at the Y.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Absolutely, yoga lowers blood pressure. It also decreases stress and gastrointestinal discomforts. Good for you Coyote !! I am finally GLAD to hear someone is addicted to something!!!

Good for you too for 2 years clean on the smokes!!! I relapsed again after about 7 months I am getting back on the wagon this week.

I bet after a few sessions, LMC will be trying out some yoga moves in her bedroom when no one's looking

Prolly!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Sweet. I'm a lifer, otherwise I have to take drugs.