Multiple Uses?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Multiple Uses?

So0o0o I've come to the conclusion that I need to go to basically like a million 12 step meetings. At least ACOA, Al-Anon, and Over Eaters anonymous, and maybe even NA seeing as how I just quit smoking pot a month ago, although it hasn't been hard for me at all to quit, I still smoked and did other drugs in the past. I don't have a problem with them now. I have drank, drugged, starved, purged, and then now currently overeat and no matter what have OBSESSED over food, weight, and calories for years and years. I just switch problems it seems. I was wondering if I can just go to Al-Anon or ACOA and use the 12 steps for all the problems in my life, or are you supposed to go to one for each individual problem? I feel like a basket case posting this but I'm not ashamed as it's just the truth of the situation.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning, Missb89,
First let me say, great job, at quitting your unwanted stuff. Its probably natural to try to find something to replace the things you were using, with something. You have a lot of feelings to deal with , too.
I would just begin to read the things on this forum, find a meeting, and just take it a day at a time. Put aside a little time each day ,for exercise- so good for us. Whatever you cna manage, at first, and make yourself do it. That is what i'd do, to be sure to be doing something good . often , that gets me going in the right direction.
hang in there. i just got a stack of books at the library, on all kinds of subjects. that always inspires me too. I think the 12 steps apply to just about every problem there is!
hugs,
chicory
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep using whatever works for you and be proud of your willingness!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The steps work for me in just about every difficulty I face in life.

Find any meeting that you like and just stick with it for a few months. Get a sponsor and work the steps. More will be revealed and you can proceed with your recovery one day at a time using the tools and skills you will be learning.

AlAnon did the most for me (I also went to ACOA AlAnon meetings) because it got to the root of so many of my bad habits of mind that I had learned or built up as a defense during my childhood with an A dad and codie mom.

If I get overwhelmed and try to solve ALL my issues at once I quickly end up a nervous wreck with no progress to show! Just focusing on one small step of a plan, and repeating that one small good change in my thinking or behavior until it feels natural helps me build real change.

Easy does it!
Peace-
B
Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I like what Bernadette said!

I'm an alcoholic
so I began this ... er.. journey... in AA.

When the time came for me to look at my relationships
and the epic mistakes and choices ... therein...
I came over here, and began reading.

but I was still applying the steps I'd learned in AA.

I think they're all pretty much the same steps...

the format was one I was comfortable with.

I also think that as we grow
we will naturally reveal other areas
that need the same examination and attention
and ultimately resolutions
as our 'original' addiction.

Sometimes we have to FOCUS ... on one...
and see that one ... .through
before picking up another problem
and trying to manage it.

The extremes of life itself
usually determine when
it's time to shift and get going in another area.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all, it's appreciated. I will concentrate on one thing at a time, because you're right, looking at it all at once just seems to pile up on top of me and I start to feel like one messed up cookie with no chance of getting better. I know many people have multiple problems, a lot of them worse than mine. I can do this!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

that bnaby in your avatar is having a great time! LOL! I smile every time I look at it!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, she is. Her name is Ayla. She's the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I've never seen someone filled with such joy. She smiles and you can just see it in her eyes, they sparkle. I am truly blessed!