SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Update on the J-O-B situation. My usual L-E-N-G-T-H. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/208321-update-j-o-b-situation-my-usual-l-e-n-g-t-h.html)

coyote21 09-02-2010 06:54 PM

Update on the J-O-B situation. My usual L-E-N-G-T-H.

So this kind of weird situation has presented itself to me, as is often the case now that I am finally "paying attention".

Unemployment is rampant, at a all time high, in my lifetime. Some may remember me posting about not being able to take my previous employer up on a "call back" to work. LMC was due home, and I couldn't see my way clear to "stick" her somewhere on such short notice.

I ran the risk of losing my unemployment benefits, in fact, they've been "on hold" for about 4 weeks now while the "powers that be" determine my "future" so to speak.

I'd be totally lying if I told you all that I've been perfectly O.K. as these weeks have passed by, I have been moderately stressed and I don't like it. Even had to double the "fiber content" of my breakfast cereal, if you know what I mean. Damn.

Rent was due yesterday, along with school aftercare, about 8 bills. Had about that in my checking......but was going to have to finally dip into savings. Checked the UI website yesterday and, as if my magic, about 8 bills was released to my account. Whew!

Monday, I was looking at jobs online, most didn't even look legitimate. But I have to apply for 3 a week so what the hell, right. Then there is this one, driver job, CDL with Hazmat endorsement, that's me. BTW, these jobs are kind of specialized and RARE. So I fill out the app. online, thinking yeah, right. And don't think anything else about it.

So then I check my email Tuesday, got an email from this guy wanting me to come in for an interview. I call him, but I'm not in a very great place over the whole benefits thing, and he said he couldn't see me till today. By now I'm all better because the money thing has fixed itself.

It's a really laid back job, 90% LESS physically demanding than old job.

It's about 8 minutes down the road from home, NOT an hour of heavy, stressful traffic each way.

It starts at 6:30am, I put LMC on the bus at 6:18....do the math.

The boss tells me he likes to get outta' there by 2:30-3pm. Hello, you all paying attention.....It's basically school hours!

Same benefits as old job, strait 40 hours, no overtime. I figure at least 16 hours a week will be freed up. At my age TIME is very valuable.

The guys being really straight up with me, so I tell him I'm a single dad and although we're both healthy, I usually miss a couple of days a year with a sick kid.

So he follows that up with, "##### company is very flexible about that, and I'm a single dad, been raising my TWO kids alone for the last 10 years! O.K. universe.

The catch, there's always a catch........$1000 less net a month. Told him I'd have to sit down and crunch the numbers at home. I've crunched 'em and got the grand down to around $400 without the commute, gas, nannies, lunches out/breakfast tacos etc..

On the way to pick up LMC, it finally dawned on me, exactly to what extent the planets have aligned themselves to present me this opportunity to, basically work the same schedule as my kid.

I mean, HELLO. For the last 3 years we've had 2 hours a night to eat, take a bath, then about a whole hour to chillax. ONE STINKING HOUR PEOPLE.

I'm thinking eff that.

I'm thinking I'd better "LEAP" and let the universe worry about the "net". Pretty sure "The Headlight Whisper" can take up the slack! Ha!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

SashaMB 09-02-2010 07:01 PM

Wow, what a great opportunity; I'm so excited for you! Your child is so much better off with your TIME than with the extra money, so you can make it work. I applaud your positive attitude in focusing on the blessings, not just the challenges. You kiddo is lucky to have you for a dad.

HoopNinja 09-02-2010 07:08 PM

coyote that sounds perfect--like it was custom-made for you. You are right--when you deduct all the money you are spending now that you will not be spending with this job it may not come up completely even--but there are ways to get rid of some of the bills. . .I've been working on that one myself.

The chance to have the same hours as your child is wonderful. I was able to do it for a year when we came home after adopting our 2nd son. So I picked my older son up from school--went home and just got to hang out the rest of the day with them. Yeah, still had to do stuff around the house but it was better than that one measley hour at the end of the night.

Happy to hear everything lined up-and just in time.

LexieCat 09-02-2010 07:11 PM

I want both you and Barb to come over here so I can rub your heads or something.

:)

It sounds absolutely perfect--and you and LMC can whisper to the headlights together.

Impurrfect 09-02-2010 07:12 PM

(((Coyote))) - how fantastic!!!!

I can just HEAR ((LMC)) planning out all the extra time you two get together:)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Still Waters 09-02-2010 07:17 PM

Wow!!!! x 10000

This is so awesome Coyote!

chicory 09-02-2010 07:55 PM

wow- sometimes those "too good to be true" things really happen.

so happy for you, coyote!

Lola1024 09-02-2010 08:02 PM

:scoregood

Sounds perfect - congrats !

tjp613 09-02-2010 08:06 PM

Go for it, man! YAY!!!

coyote21 09-02-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 2698064)
I want both you and Barb to come over here so I can rub your heads or something.

:)

It sounds absolutely perfect--and you and LMC can whisper to the headlights together.

I know, huh? Damn.

I was thinking about Barbs thread, I think she dusts me on her week, but I'm still pretty tickled with my own blessings!

Thought I'd lost my mojo there for a couple of weeks, :react I think HP likes to mess with me sometimes.

Coyote

barb dwyer 09-02-2010 08:12 PM

I think it's freakin GREAT dude!

HealingWillCome 09-02-2010 08:13 PM

How incredibly cool is that?! Wow! Congratulations!

coyote21 09-02-2010 08:21 PM

Now I don't want to get ahead of myself, I don't actually HAVE the job yet. But I can't really see any reason to not GET it!

Thanks ya'll.

Coyote

coyote21 09-02-2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by HealingWillCome (Post 2698137)
How incredibly cool is that?! Wow! Congratulations!

BTW, before I forget, I called LMC over to see your new avatar last night and she was wowed...me too, very nice.

Coyote

HealingWillCome 09-02-2010 08:38 PM

Thanks! You'll like this...I wanted the rainbows because they symbolize hope, right? Well, while I was Googling 'double rainbow' last night looking for my avatar, I got a call from a friend in another town. I answered...she said 'hey, can you hang on a sec"...I said, 'sure',...she came back on and said...'sorry, there is the most awesome double rainbow out here right now, and I had to get a picture of it'. I said, 'are you kidding me? guess what I was just doing?!' I love when things like that happen...I know it was God, saying, "You see? There is hope...everything is going to be alright."

coyote21 09-02-2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by HealingWillCome (Post 2698168)
Thanks! You'll like this...I wanted the rainbows because they symbolize hope, right? Well, while I was Googling 'double rainbow' last night looking for my avatar, I got a call from a friend in another town. I answered...she said 'hey, can you hang on a sec"...I said, 'sure',...she came back on and said...'sorry, there is the most awesome double rainbow out here right now, and I had to get a picture of it'. I said, 'are you kidding me? guess what I was just doing?!' I love when things like that happen...I know it was God, saying, "You see? There is hope...everything is going to be alright."

Now, THAT'S what I call cool!

Coyote

BTW, everything IS going to be alright. HP speaks to me all the time through nature/critters.

wanting 09-02-2010 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 2698064)

Word.

wicked 09-02-2010 09:01 PM

BTW, everything IS going to be alright. HP speaks to me all the time through nature/critters.
Yep, I just bought my box of raisin bran this morning. Damn, I hate stress, especially financial stress. Got some now by god, had to work at it, but chaos is one of those things i need to shake off.

Wonderful news on the perfect job.
I just asked my mini dachshund about it, she said all systems are go.
:lmao

TakingCharge999 09-02-2010 09:29 PM

I love when you all share your good news!!!
What a wonderful gift for your daughter and for you!!!!

PS I Love double rainbows. I saw two once and they were incredible, very very special. I also love aurora borealis, when I saw one it was the happiest time of my life. So much color and beauty, like God saying "THIS is what life is about"

Jadmack25 09-02-2010 09:30 PM

All the best of good luck for this job. Heck man, they couldn't get a better man for it.

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/e...leECard1-1.jpg

God bless