Xanax

Old 09-02-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax

Been MIA in paperwork he!!. Kids are in school and all that is done-for now-along with afterschool care. New psychiatrist for older DS. I cannot remember if I posted this-life has been a bit busy. Older DS was suicidal for about 1 1/2 weeks (longer actually but he finally trusted me enough to tell me-thank goodness--had a plan and everything). Kept my cool eventhough I was terrified inside. Got him off he meds he was on. DID NOT take him to a locked psych ward as was suggested by a couple people (Hmmm, child with attachment disorder and severe separation anxiety and is feeling suicidal on top of it because of med--sure I'll just drop him off right now-WRONG!). Stayed home on suicide watch for that time. All is better. Got a new psychiatrist since other threw up his hands and bailed on me (gee, thanks, right when I need you because my child is suicidal you tell me there is nothing else you can do for my son-ARG!).

Filled out more paperwork.

Lawyer sent me a ton of paperwork because YES!! financial mediation is next Thursday!! WooHoo. But more paperwork to fill out.

In the mean time stbxah has vacillated between OK and extremely hostile. Lots of easy questions answered with FU and a hang up. . .OK.

This morning he called me up while I was on the phone with my atty. so I called back thinking he wanted to discuss visitation arrangements for the weekend and he asks me how the kids's first day of school went. Major pause by me--uh, you called them last night, remember? Talked to older DS for 10 minutes and younger DS for 5 minutes? Total silence follows and then "I did?" Yes, and filled him in on some of the conversation and then he remembers a little. He sounds out of it and I ask him what is going on and he tells me he is taking Xanax and is having memory problems. I tell him maybe he should call the doctor and I need to go to work and hang up.

He did not sound out of it at all last night. Blackout? Maybe but he usually is slurring when he is in a blackout. He was definitely on something this morning--no doubt about it. He sounded totally out of it. I got mildly sucked in my telling him to call his doc but then realized I should back off and then hung up.

I'm a tad concerned about him being with the kids if he is taking Xanax, especially if he is drinking. He has not been drinking (much) around the kids according to older DS. Meaning he usually drinks nothing but on a couple of occasions has drank. My concern is him not recalling anything about last nights conversation with the kids.

Cycnical me says--quack, quack--he knows mediation is coming up. Mom me says-hmm, do not want him around the kids.

I know nothing about Xanax. Anyone here know anything about it?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm still trying to figure out what a DS is.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

psssst, barb..............dear son

L
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know nothing about Xanax. Anyone here know anything about it?
My daughter abused xanax for nearly a year, she told me tonight that if she added up all the days she remembered out of that year, it would be about a month.
So, about 90% of her memory is gone.
She said she would wake up and not remember a thing that happened the night before.
Your ex probably would not be slurring unless he was drinking and taking xanax, and that is a very very dangerous combination.
He should not be around the kids. His memory is not there, nor his motor skills, such as the skills needed to drive. It is bad news W2K.
If he is abusing them, he is not there emotionally, and your kids need him to be "there".

I am sorry, but xanax scares me. My daughter nearly died trying to withdraw from them on her own.

Beth
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Xanax is in the "benzo" or benzodiazapine family (think vallium). Used mostly for anxiety. Tremendous abuse potential and addictive. Folks like me who have a history of abusing multiple substances (basically anything we can get our hands on) will avoid this one like the plague, if we're smart.

Everyone is different, but benzos tend to have a synergistic affect when mixed with alcohol. They are a dangerous combination.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

justanother--he is in denial about having any problems so he probably is loving the high and thinks he can handle it. I am sure he is not telling the doctor about the booze, MJ and coke that he is mixing with his xanax.