Reality check

Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality check

Yesterday was a bit of a downer day for me, as mum flew home, and of course apart from missing her a lot, there is the "will I see her again?" thought at the fore. Girls looking at ideas for their nan's 100th next year.
Mum said to relax and let her get 99 over with first, as she can only juggle so much these days....."I am getting on a bit you know".

Launched into cleaning etc, to take my mind of the empty feeling, then RABF took me out to dinner for a couple of hours. Came home to a brown out, and what an eerie feeling is was....lights on dimly and folks wandering around inside homes using torches. WOW. No computer and no reading, so off to MY bed after a week of sleeping on sofa bed.

Woken just a while back, at 4.30am by drunk couple in lane at back, who got vocally offensive when my next door neighbour told them, to take their noise somewhere else. That bought back a few nasty memories, followed by much thanks for what I have now with RABF. May it continue.

He has been a wonderful blessing thru all of the past week, with his tender care for us and especially my mum. Everywhere we went, he was there for support, to fetch something, to help in every way possible....nothing was too much trouble. He went for our drinks, and drank Coca Cola himself, snuck in a few sneaky snaps of us folks when we didn't know it, and drove 2 happy women home when it was all over. He was perfect and I waited for the shoe to fall (as has done in past) and it didn't, not for a minute. I keep hearing a voice saying "Oh ye of little faith". He did this while suffering a flare up of Ulcerative Colitis, and was in pain and discomfort the whole time, so bless the dear man.

For the first time in over 2 years I wore heels, and am back to standing straight again, with twinges of pain in knee now, instead of arthritic agony and sciatica back to manageable again......a small foot op and what a wonderful difference it made. I felt like a woman again, in new outfit, hair done and high heeled shoes. Ye haa.

Now to lose the weight that jumped on board over past two inactive years, which will not be as easy as getting it was. Ah well, will keep me busy for a while and thus out of trouble.

Anyone who wants to see a coulpe of snaps of my family wedding, my 99 yr old mum, my girls and bride and groom, I posted them on thread named " Still Floating".

God bless
Old 08-28-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's been a wedding brewing all week out at the farm where I keep my horses. I was slated to do all the horse keeping this week so the farm owner could focus on her brother's nuptuals. First all the mowing, pruning, painting and fussing was fun to watch as I didn't have to do any of it. Then the party planner dashing about with trucks arriving with tents and fancy trailers with potties and such. Yesterday, the band, the flowers and all the rehearsal guests arrived. Today was the big ceremony and this morning the place was buzzing with activity. There were signs, and flowers, and gorgeous smells from the catering tent. Little girls in pink frilly dresses and hats, men in suits helping carry parcels from the parked cars. I lingered feeding the horses this morning so I could watch from the paddocks as the first few family members were arriving.

I know the farm owners are going to be creeping along tomorrow after the last guest leaves, and rightfully so. They worked their hardest to make the day special and I'm sure it was everything they hoped it would be. I had the easy part. Keep the herd fed and quiet. Easier said than done when every guest wanted to the pet their noses. Only one got sneezed on at the rehearsal that I know of. Oops.

I'm so glad you got to spend such a wonderful time with your mum, Jad. I'm sad for you that she had to go. And your RABF being so attentive and supportive. Makes all the trials in a relationship worth it when you can be there for each other. I bet he felt your appreciation every minue

I haven't attended a single wedding in the last week, and yet I feel as if I've been to a dozen. I'm exhausted and my face hurts from all the smiling!

Get some rest now. Your going to need it for your next challenge...and I'm talking about that fitness program you sound ready to embark on. Rock on!!

Alice
Old 08-28-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am with you in missing someone. I just got home from taking my daughter back to college. The house is sooooo empty! So I am here to take my mind off things. Did the cleaning thing this morning while she slept in anticipation of her leave. Too tired to do more right now but I will sooner or later.

Hope I can hit the sun tommorrow it is so relaxing for me. Then monday the people come to clean carpets and is the next to last thing for inside the house. I have been sleeping downstairs with my daughter all summer b/c it is cooler but now haven't the courage to go back to my bedroom. My neighbor was D earlier this year and she is sleeping downstairs too just across the fence - can't go back to her bedroom either. At least I am not the only one.

Nice to hear that some people change and can actually be there for you. I am happy for you on that one.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds like a lovely visit, Jad,

My recovering alcoholic ex-husband (the one 30 years sober) called me this morning to congratulate me on my 2-year sobriety anniversary. He also shared with me that his wife's mom just passed away at the age of 95. This woman raised TEN KIDS as a single mom after her husband died in the early 60s. Thankfully, many of her kids were by her side when she died peacefully--at least a couple of whom are recovering alcoholics.

My ex has been so good to his mother-in-law all these years, and he still keeps in close touch with MY 81-y/o dad. It's funny--I remember when I met him in college, when he was an insane drunk kid of 18, one of the things that attracted me to him was the fact that he would write to his grandma every week using big black marker that she could read. Later, after he was sober and we were married, he was better to my family than I was--writing to my grandparents weekly without fail, while I occasionally scribbled a note at the end.

For some people, alcoholism truly is hiding a lovely human being underneath.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For some people, alcoholism truly is hiding a lovely human being underneath
thank you for that lexiecat. i like to think i am a lovely human being.
trying hard anyway.

Jadmack,
I am so pleased your man was there for you.
I want to be your mum when I grow up!

Beth
Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL,

I like to think *I* am, too, but I'm still not entirely convinced. Step work, step work.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Oh Jadmack, for mefamily separations get tougher as time passes. I thought it was the other way around, but no! It is wonderful she has been able to share so many important moments with all of you.

I am glad your health is better and I love high heels too! well, platforms. I look much taller and they are way more comfortable than high heels. I saw your pics and you look smashing!

The other day I went to eat flautas, a Mexican dish and while parking I saw a guy that was walking in zig zag. It was very sad. Then another guy went to see him. It was Friday 9 PM... those examples remind us to be grateful.

I hope this weekend you got the rest you needed. Hugs!!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the share, Jad
Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^^^ nods with coffeemaker