Blessings in disguise

Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blessings in disguise

As yucky as some things are I look at them as blessings.
The other night Ah was arrested for a DUI, his third in 7 years.
He broke sobriety a week ago and has had a few beers each day. Not many, but sobriety is sobriety.
He has found a rehab that is OP and he can work during the day and go at night for 45 days. He will enter when attorney feels its time with all the other proceedings going on. I honestly cannot believe how expensive some rehabs are! Insurance only pays literally a small fraction of the cost and leave you with the rest. Who can afford that? OP and him working is his only option. He doesn't have issues with not drinking during the day anyway...its evenings/weekends.
There are some issues with his DUI arrest that may make a difference later with his sentencing. He was home for awhile and had 2 beers before officers showed at the door. He hadn't had anything to drink for 3 hours prior to driving home and even then it was just a couple of beers. He passed all of his sobriety tests fine, but blew a .10. The time he was home before officers showed, and by the time they actually did the breathalyzer was 45 minutes. Enough to get the alcohol he had at home in his system. Will he get off? Probably not...nor should he. Hope it will help with his sentencing though. Need him working.

He is back in AA every day...sometimes twice a day. He is focused and committed. I hope it sticks.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you have a positive attitude right now. I pray your ex will follow through and really begin to address his problem. I know you are always hopeful, are you going to alanon for your own support?

It is always easier to be committed to sobriety when scared but it doesn't last long. Take caution with this situation.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I have gone to a meeting this week. Only 2 a week here and only 1 is during a time I can find childcare. They are so supportive.

I told him that whether he had 1 beer or 50 its still breaking his sobriety and he was doing so well. He can do it again. He is scared...so am I, but it has happened and make the best of it. I see it as if it didn't happen he may have kept drinking. Who knows?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, he is still drinking but claims to be in recovery? The meetings mean nothing with a beer after.

Not trying to be harsh, but personally, I hope he gets the max, whatever that is in your state. I think it's disgusting that he gets behind the wheel even after having just one beer. It sounds like a whole lot of justification. Also, why on earth would a lawyer tell him not to go straight to rehab? That sounds like a load of BS.

I hope you let him feel his consequences for your sake snd his before he kills someone. No one deserves to die at the hands of a selfish drunk.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Need him working.
I hear that - i don't think the morgage company will care less what his problem is and where he needs to go.

It's so scary and overwhelming to figure out what the right thing to do is all the time.

Morally you say - yes he should get the worst punishment - HE deserves that.

But then for sake of you and your children, you just want things to be ok for once. Can the chaos just stop? Must we constantly suffer for the alcohlic's mistakes?

It's a hard time, and in your time the answers will come.

Hugs to you:ghug3
Old 08-21-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you to go to the meetings. Stay cautious and support what you can. Let him take as much responsibility for his life and choices as much as possible.

Take wonderful care of you and your daughter!