What we don't know...

Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What we don't know...

Reading today I was reminded of some unusual experiences I have had this summer without my husband that I never would have imagined. I was mostly a recluse when we separated. I was too afraid to let others in b/c I expected to hear their judgement. However, this summer I have met neighbors I lived next to for many years but rarely talked except to exchange greetings.

To my surprise, in listening to others' stories I discovered that no one really noticed the chaos going on in my home - (including the police presence) b/c they were dealing with their own chaotic situations. I never noticed the police visiting my neighbor's homes - I didn't know my neighbors were just as afraid of my judgement as I was theirs. And instead of judgement, there is compassion from others and I am losing that feeling of wanting to hide from the world.

We have a lot of wild life roaming our yards for who knows what reason they exist in a suburb but they are here. Last night, my neighbor called me out to see the wild kittens that were born two weeks ago. They live under a shed in another neighbors' yard. The three of us spend awhile just watching the mother eat and feed her kittens trying to decided who to call to take them. It was a very nice moment we shared.

Just wanted to share this. Seems to me that we often worry about what others think of us only find out that they are only scared of what we are thinking of them. It keeps us apart instead of enjoying moments like watching some kittens coming into the world or learning that our neighbors have problems too or that we are not the only ones going through it.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And instead of judgement, there is compassion from others and I am losing that feeling of wanting to hide from the world.
thank you kassie.
very true.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's so often a great relief when we realize that we are not alone. The situations might not be exactly the same, but we all have stuff to deal with. Welcome to the club!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Couldn't agree more, I was humilated that the sheriff came to my house. I thought all the neighbors wore magnifying glasses. Not true, I was so busy covering my A I was not paying attention to what was going on with rest of the neighborhood.

We are all just people, its nice if we all give each other a chance to be a friend!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Plato
Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Would like to hear other stories.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pa animal services is overwhelmed by some other situation but Delaware Animal services is coming tommorrow - the kittens and mother are now in my bushes for the night.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what a beautiful story!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt the same way. The other night when the police were outside with AH, doing sobriety tests, handcuffing him and hauling him to jail I looked up and down the street and neighbors were outside doing yardwork etc. They all saw.
Over this past week every single one either came to my door, left a card, or met me outside to say they are so sorry and are thinking of us. They all also saw the circumstances of Ah's arrest as not right as well and are willing to testify if needed. Some told me that they were married to an A, they had police at thier homes for many reasons. I didn't feel so ashamed.