SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Serenity prayer....al anon slogan... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/207385-serenity-prayer-al-anon-slogan.html)

fourmaggie 08-19-2010 04:54 PM

Serenity prayer....al anon slogan...

God grant me the SERENITY to accept the things
I cannot change, COURAGE to change the things
I can and the WISDOM to know the difference

Considered a sacred flower in the Orient and a symbol of virtue and purity in classical art, the LOTUS has come to represent transcendence and contemplation. Here it is used ot illustrate the SERENTIY PRAYER, three powerful lines of inspiration that provide the meditiative foundation for the AL ANON program

In this prayer, we first ask God for serentiy to accept the things we cannot change. This means ridding our minds of clutter confusion and conflict so that we can examine our situation with greater clarity. As we focus on ourselves and on the present moment, we begin to recongnize that which is beyond our control we pray to accept. We may not like it, we many not support it, but before we can let go of it, we must accept it. Denying reality is a futile, self-defeating exercise that squanders our valuable energy and deprives us of the freedom to make meaningful choices.

In the second line of the prayer, we ask for the courage to change the things we can. Once we have accepted our powerlessness over people, place and things, we are ready to take responsiblity for making changes in our own attitudes and behaviour. For many of us, self-will and control enabled us to avoid making changes within ourselves--we masked our fear of change by hiding behind someones else's character defects, trapped in a maze of frustrations and resentment as we tried to play GOD. In the SERENTIY PRAYER, we ask our Higher Power for th courage, confident that with divine guidance, our course of action will be meaningful and constructive.

And finally, we pray for the wisdom to know the difference. With God's help, we can identify where powerlessness ends and responsibility begins. With God's help, we can develop a senxe of proportion in order to distinguish between those things we can let go of and those that require our attention

Practicing the princilples of AL ANON program maintains our serentiy, fortifies our courage, and deepens our wisdom. As we contemplate the serene beauty of the LOTUS, let us acknowledge our ability to meet life's challenges with composure and strength.

lulu1974 08-19-2010 06:01 PM

Thank you, I needed this!

fourmaggie 08-20-2010 12:05 PM

I am serious...i just did not understand the prayer...and my sponsor helped with this...so I am sharing it all with u...ENJOY!:tyou

Learn2Live 08-23-2010 06:46 PM

WOW FourMaggie!!! Right On Time for me!!! I JUST posted how I needed to return to the serenity prayer every day and here you have posted this wonderful information! How did you know I needed this?!?! THANK YOU!

suki44883 08-23-2010 07:32 PM

There is also this one: God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me.

fourmaggie 09-04-2010 07:46 PM

I love coming here and refreshing my brain with these words of wisdom

kia 09-05-2010 12:47 AM

thank u so much for this so needed this today

fourmaggie 09-26-2010 03:10 PM

*bump*

Floss 09-27-2010 12:45 AM

Wow fourmaggie, I really needed to read this! A couple of weeks ago at an Al-Anon meeting, we were reading the Serenity Prayer and I said out loud that I still haven't figured out exactly what it means! I didn't want to keep saying it without knowing the true depth of it's meaning. Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned.... :)

fourmaggie 11-22-2010 12:30 PM

:bump

fourmaggie 12-28-2010 08:25 AM

bump

fourmaggie 01-18-2011 01:12 PM

:a213:

fourmaggie 03-31-2011 04:49 PM

*bump*

cb12 03-31-2011 05:18 PM

This is one of those gems that I tend to forget about, but every time I remember it I feel MUCH better. Thanks for the reminder.

fourmaggie 04-01-2011 09:44 AM

I always like to be reminded...of this beautiful prayer

fourmaggie 05-15-2011 04:13 PM

bump

fourmaggie 08-12-2011 06:54 AM

**bump**

fourmaggie 08-12-2011 07:09 AM

JUST A REMINDER!! to me......

yorkiegirl 08-12-2011 12:48 PM

The Serenity Prayer is my lifeline! I usually don't say "God" but rather "HPs" or "Universe" but it doesn't matter, it's a beautiful prayer!

Someone also sent me an extended version that I really like:

God, grant us

the Serenity to accept things we cannot change

Courage to change the things we can

Wisdom to know the difference

Patience for the things that take time

Appreciation for all that we have

Tolerance for those with different struggles

Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways

Ability to feel your love for us & our love for each other &

Strength to get up again & again,
to continue to try again even when we feel it is hopeless