Feeling Overwhelmed

Old 08-08-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Overwhelmed

Hi all
feeling overwhelmed, really overwhelmed. Don't know what to do with myself. I feel like I have tried everything now to cope ant anyone got any suggestions to get to tomorrow morning. I just can't think well.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

How about finding an Al-Anon meeting?

Oops, forgot which forum I'm in.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Puppy girl,
Think you found the right place. That is how I am feeling today as well.
What s going on with you?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Feel like paralyzing depression. Been to Alanon. Not talking to spouse because he tells me I am being too negative. Does he listen to himself?? Soits been a very quiet day.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

More than one Al-Anon meeting a day is allowed, you know...

Can you go somewhere with a friend, or even go to a bookstore or something? Getting out of the house for a bit might make you feel better.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

It helps me to put together a gratitude list.

Sometimes I like to remember the simple, fun things. Sometimes I like to remember the big things. So my list varies.

Here are some of the things I am grateful for:

Waking up on this side of the dirt (big thing there)
My sobriety (another biggie)
My children
My life today
Job
Bending straws
PB&J sandwiches
Blue toenail polish
Alanon
Books

A book that has helped me love myself again is "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise Hay. She teaches the use of positive affirmations. I had low self-esteem and depression. Always doubting and criticizing myself. One of the affirmations I like is one I kept on my bathroom mirror for a very long time.
It said:
"I love you and accept you exactly as you are"
The process was to look myself in the eyes in the mirror each day (as much as needed) and tell myself that.

(((PuppyGirl)))
Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for mentioning Louise Hay Pelican. I'm using her work as part of my recovery too. I love the book "You Can Heal Your Life" she is teaching me to be more gentle with myself, no easy task right now.

I start most days with mirror work too, just looking into my own eyes and not criticizing me. I try to say "I love you SheCanRun"
Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also a huge Louise Hay fan. Heal Your Body changed my life.

Puppy, what's going on? Where is your head at?

Sending you positive vibes.....
peace-
B
Old 08-09-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

less overwhelmed today> I think the bad craziness at work actually helped but I am exhausted

Question for the experienced posters here.........exactly what is detachment.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

This is from one of the sticky posts at the top of this forum:
Detaching

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, I've been struggling a lot with detachment lately. I was searching around for some helpful information and wanted to share this with others if anyone is interested. I hope this is OK to do, if not, I won't do it again. I'm not sure what protocol is on here about sharing info from other websites so I won't name the actual site name.

What is detachment?
Detachment is the:

Ability to allow people, places, or things the freedom to be themselves.

Holding back from the need to rescue, save, or fix another person from being sick, dysfunctional, or irrational.

Giving another person "the space'' to be him or herself.

Disengaging from an over-enmeshed or dependent relationship with people.

Willingness to accept that you cannot change or control a person, place, or thing.

Developing and maintaining of a safe, emotional distance from someone whom you have previously given a lot of power to affect your emotional outlook on life.

Establishing of emotional boundaries between you and those people you have become overly enmeshed or dependent with in order that all of you might be able to develop your own sense of autonomy and independence.

Process by which you are free to feel your own feelings when you see another person falter and fail and not be led by guilt to feel responsible for their failure or faltering.

Ability to maintain an emotional bond of love, concern, and caring without the negative results of rescuing, enabling, fixing, or controlling.

Placing of all things in life into a healthy, rational perspective and recognizing that there is a need to back away from the uncontrollable and unchangeable realities of life.

Ability to exercise emotional self-protection and prevention so as not to experience greater emotional devastation from having hung on beyond a reasonable and rational point.

Ability to let people you love and care for accept personal responsibility for their own actions and to practice tough love and not give in when they come to you to bail them out when their actions lead to failure or trouble for them.

Ability to allow people to be who they "really are'' rather than who you "want them to be.''

Ability to avoid being hurt, abused, taken advantage of by people who in the past have been overly dependent or enmeshed with you.

Here is the link to read more:
Detaching - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information