Had a Good Laugh Tonight

Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a Good Laugh Tonight

My AH since his relapse a few months ago maintains that everyone who talks about alcoholism has been brainwashed - thats everyone! (part of his denial)

Well this evening I had a package delivered from Amazon - a book entitled 'Outwitting your Alcoholic' by Kenneth Lucas. (I also have lots of other books on Alcoholism including Al-anon literature and Co-Dependent No More etc.) I know I cant cure him, but it helps me and I enjoy educating myself about things in general.

My AH watched me open the package and hide the cover, he said 'I don't know why your hiding it, its probably another book about me' I said yes it was, and funny how there were so many authors, writers, therapists and doctors out there who have all been brainwashed, and he came back with 'I bet its written by an American'. Because now he is claiming that Alcoholism has been invented by the Americans oh and Dr Phil! I laughed my head off, I thought it was soooo funny. I havent laughed that much in ages.

He laughed along with me because I was in hysterics and I joked with him about adding it to my list of 'excuses alcoholics make'.

Sorry to you Americans out there - just tickled me!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just about fell off my computer chair laughing along with you. Yeah, I can see a secret meeting of therapists, scientists, psychologists, and Dr Phil, all working out a plan to call people alcoholics. Why???? To make these poor little folks suffer shame, and guilt for just having a little drinkies.

This has to go up with the whacky theory that....shock, horror.....the USA faked the moon landing...
What?? Didn't the astronauts bring back any green cheese as proof. Oh duh.

Dear me, I just realised I am one of those brainwashed people your AH believes in, when
I thought I was a survivor from years of war against booze.

I guess he needs to defend his relapse to himself as much as to others, and tho we can see the funny side and laugh at his comments....the fact he says what he does to feel better about himself and his decision to drink, is sad and pathetic.

To you Yesbut, from me .

To all the American pals here, hope you got a laugh out of it, as we did.

God bless
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Have you ever seen "finding nemo?" the childrens movie? wonderful, really and applies to codependency, but there is a scene where the sharks make fun of americans too. love it.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^^ thats funny too, love the AA meeting or NO eating MEAT meeting, LOL
I thought it was a good eye opener to use that in a MOVIE for kids..!!

@yes...my brother is the same way....all brain washed....DENIAL
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking Americans will take credit for anything!

he came back with 'I bet its written by an American'. Because now he is claiming that Alcoholism has been invented by the Americans oh and Dr Phil! I laughed my head off, I thought it was soooo funny. I havent laughed that much in ages.
Yesbut,

this is hilarious!

uh, he does know that there is nowhere on this earth he can hide now that he is starting to spread the word?
his name again?
address? i will make it quick, i promise.

I thought I had heard all the stuff about AA and alcoholism being a cult and a money making machine for the big bad recovery centers.
But, this one is the best. Truly the best.
Of course the Americans invented it! We invent everything, absolutely everything, and if we don't we will take credit somehow.
so, when I was in the Army, and drinking like an alcoholic, i was not an alcoholic, i was doing double duty as a patriot!
Where is my combat pay? Damn. LOL

Okay, Jadmack, I put in a good word for you, but remember next time, it wasnt the moon landing that was faked, it was the pictures!

This just has me giggling here.
You crazy Australians and Canadians, you may speak English, but you will never be us!

<cue the stars and stripes>

i have to stop now, phone is ringing.
hehehehehehehehe
<snicker>
Old 08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh my, the Aussies are on to us. : )
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Now that is worth a hearty chuckle!

Yes, we Americans can put a lable on anything!

And, we are proud of it!

Grinning from ear to ear!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Loved Nemo, even after about 20 times, thanks to grandsons loving it so much. Bruce the shark "spoke" to my RABF, and he even watched more than once.

Have to get back at you for some of the film and TV shows I watched as a kid, and which I think were a damn sight better and funnier than todays garbage.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think this would be the answer given to by Mr Bald Eagle, and I sure agree with it.

God bless
Old 08-03-2010, 02:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love Mr. Bald Eagle!
That American attitude, gotta love us.
:rotfxko
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ha! What is up with these Aussies in denial! My XAH is from NSW. I am American. When I first started talking with him about AA, he actually said "That whole AA thing is only in the States. We don't really have it in Australia." I was so flummoxed that I immediately googled AA meetings in NSW, even though my XAH and I live in the States. Of course there are meetings there.

Not that it made a lick of difference; once he read up on AA he declared it to be a cult and told me that he was concerned at the lack of science involved (he is an Atheist) - oh well, any excuse, right!?

Glad to hear you have your sense of humor! Keep up the great work!!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dr. Phil? Not a chance. Alcoholism was invented by Elvis Presley, of course.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sheesh, the Yanks really are Goooood.

One bloke says Dr Phil helped invent "alcoholism, before he was even born!!!!!!
Another tells his wife AA is in the USA, but not in Aussie.

Something I just had really in my face with this thread, and the posts in reply:

There is a river with the same name, in EVERY country in the world.
No matter where you come from, there is De Nile, (denial), and swimming along in those rivers, are millions of addicted men and women, refusing to believe they are in danger.

So Elvis invented alcoholism? Right!! That is why mum warned sis and I about him, and said Rock and Roll was bad.....and all these years I thought it was because of his hips.

Wonder if someone will blame Edison, after all he invented almost everything else.

God bless
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Denial - of course, thats why I personally found it so hilarious! and pathetic! I think its sad that they believe it.

I also used to question if I was right about things we argued about because AH had a well rehearsed style of making you think its your fault or you are not right.

The good thing for me is that since I 'discovered' only recently, that my husband of 22 years was an alcoholic and labelled him as such in my own mind; this has helped. I have been getting help for myself through Al-anon and therapy and reading a lot about the subject of Alcoholism. I am starting to witness all the excuses, games, scripts etc that my AH likes to play with me and am learning to spot manipulation and BS a mile away, so much so that I can laugh about it when it happens.

BTW - I am from the UK originally, left about 6 years ago and have lived in NZ for the first 4 years and Australia for the past 2 years. Consequently my family and closest friends all live in the UK and so my social network has been vertually non-existant apart from me, my DD and my AH. Now its just AH and I, as DD has moved out. One of the many reasons why I personally struggle to leave him and live on my own.