Identifying Toxic Behavior

Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Identifying Toxic Behavior

This is from an article entitled, "How to Protect Your Health Against Toxic Behavior," which you can google if you want to read the entire article. This helped me to identify some toxic people in my life, who I am going to avoid as much as possible. I also read this and noted that I have behaved this way plenty of times too, and so printed this off as a reminder NOT to act this way toward others.

Specific patterns of behavior that ... fall into the "toxic-to-your-health" category:

1.Attempting to intimidate you by yelling or becoming violent in any manner (slamming a door is a violent act).

2.Consistently talking down at you, sending the message that he or she is just plain better than you.

3.Regularly telling you what he or she thinks is wrong with you.

4.Slandering others behind their backs i.e. trying to engage you in gossip that is hurtful to others.

5.Spending the bulk of your conversations complaining about his or her life and others.

6.Discouraging you from pursuing your interests and dreams.

7.Attempting to take advantage of your kindness and resources, and trying to make you feel guilty if you don't do what he or she wants.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's too real

Thanks for posting that learn, that description of toxic behavior fits a family member to the t. He fits every sign there.

The one about talking about their life or themselves all the time really nails it for me. It's like they're always demanding or seeking attention. If he could hear himself talk including his attempts to butter you up for money he might think twice. Then again he almost sounds like a walking cliche at times meaning I don't think even sober at this point he really thinks about what he says nor does he care.

If we all could take a step back and take a look at ourselves and behavior and even analyze like on these forums I think we all would be much better off.