what's been going with ME...

Old 10-16-2003, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what's been going with ME...

Hi. Just needed to vent about stuff other than addictions and cooky relationships. and I 'll have to do this in multiple emails. As far as a "loving nondysfunctional" relationship goes with a man -- I have none. I am not dating anyone at the moment, not after my last seven month stint with the last guy I was dating who is still calling me for music related projects. (I am a vocalist and darn tootin good one at that). Anyway, I am at a point in my life (I am 39 years young) where I feel I need to make a major change. I am very creative, but feel that I am creatively blocked and it's probably ME who is in the way. I work a full time job five days week which leaves me with very limited time to pursue my creative pursuits, I had a major problem with this and until recently have accepted that this is the way life is and I have to pay rent unless I marry rich and I am not shallow like that. I am also not too happy at my present place of employment and have been interviewing like a madwoman only to discover that my next job, the right job, will take a while to find. Anyway, my point being, I am scared. Scared to pursue my dreams of singing, my ideal singing situation is to do jazz standards, sung by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday and more....it's alot of work and after a hard day's work at the nine to five sometimes i just want to go home and SLEEP. but that might be depression. Anyway, I've hooked up with the guy that I was last seeing (supposedly we are just friends) cause he is a guitar player and he wants to do shows with me. So I am like, ok, let's do it. But I am keeping it strictly professional. Either way, I am tired of this fear that's inside of me and I need to rid of it straight away. I guess the only way to rid of it is to get out there and gig and sing my vocal chords. I need support and I am turning to you all, my friends here at soberrecovery for support. There really is nothing to be afraid of except fear itself I suppose. I also want to have children and fall in love but I guess all this will come in time. I am rambling here....sorry....longlivediva
Old 10-16-2003, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Diva!

You're right. You'll be scared until you get out there and hustle up the gigs. I have an arts profession as well. It's like pulling teeth to get those first jobs, but as long as you've done right by folks, eventually people start coming to you. Don't give yourself "tired" excuses. You know very well once you get into your proper arena, it gives energy to YOU. Get out there woman! Time's a wastin'!!!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 10-16-2003, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ella, Billie, Nina...you're playing my song Diva!!!

I am really cheering for you to get out there and give your dream your very best shot. There is no shame in failing - only in not trying.

Go, sing, get famous and sing your heart out!!! Grab that dream and go.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-16-2003, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

Diva, I'm cheering for you too! Us codies have such a hard time believing in ourselves and finding our creative talents. You KNOW what your creative talent is, so go for it!!! I know you're scared, but feel the fear and do it anyway!

Keep us posted.

Hugs,
JG
Old 10-16-2003, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first job is the hardest.

Break a leg!
Old 10-16-2003, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You truly are a Diva!!! So good to see you around here. Go for it , get out there and give it all your best shot! The old saying applies here with you, Nothing to fear except fear itself... no big deal!

Love ya girl!
Old 10-17-2003, 12:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Longlivediva...
I'm a music teacher so I thought I'd give you my loving push too. The hardest and best thing you can do in life is to shoot for your dreams, but I can tell you it's Oh SO Worth It!
Cover your basics: store up some cash for those 'in-between gig' times, Get the charts memorized, Go to the places that Gig-out in and aroung your area (you never know if that night they might need a fill-in...heck, that's how Elvis got his first TV appearance!!), and advertise yourself!
You can buy prerecorded songs without the lyrics through your local music store. They have all the great jazz standards. Get yourself a Dynamic Mic (condenser mic's will pick up background sounds, not just you) and a small recording device (a cassette recorder 4-track is only around 50 bucks and the cd recorders are getting cheaper everyday, heck you might even be able to do it through your computer). I use Musiciansfriend.com to buy a lot of my equipment for the school, good equipment and they have fabulous sales. The play/sing along tracks are a lot of fun and it'll be a cheaper way of getting your stuff out there rather than going through a recording studio.
Also, I can suggest an older book that helped me with setting my career goals and going through with them, it's called "Just Do It" from the Life 101 series...a step by step motivator!

You Go Get Em Diva!
Now, go break a leg!
Old 10-17-2003, 01:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

I miss-typed the name of the book, it's:
Do It, Life 101 Series
Author: McWilliams, Peter
Publication Date: 04/1997
ISBN: 0931580633
I just got a used one for .65 online!

Sorry for the typo, it's too early 'round here! :huh
Old 10-17-2003, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I believe that our job is not to discover life, but to create it. We reap the rewards of what we sow. GO FOR IT! Re-create YOU!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald....

you guys are amazing! you guys are so supportive! I really want to do this singing gig thing! I really and truly do! No being tired when I get home from work, its straight to the "books" to learn my lyrics and to sing my pretty vocal chords to the max! I AM GOING TO DO THIS!! I AM GOING TO DO THIS!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

" "Go longlive diva"

Please, oh Please come back here when you famous....

God bless.