SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   New addiction - please help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/205577-new-addiction-please-help.html)

ChrrisT 07-22-2010 06:10 AM

New addiction - please help

Can't get off this forum!! :abcb:

Neck hurts, dog begging to go out, dirty dishes in the sink, pile of laundry every where, kids running around naked and un-bathed.

My house is falling apart me, as I sit here laughing and crying at the computer.

Anyone else feel my pain?

Is this normal? Really?

Thank you for listening

Learn2Live 07-22-2010 06:50 AM

For me, it is more a matter of what is my strongest need RIGHT NOW? Once that need is satiated, then I am able to move onto other things. When my strongest need is to feel better about something, or to interact with others, I am drawn to the computer, because that is the way of interacting with others and making sense of the disease, that is comfortable for me. I don't see it as an addiction in myself, although some may joke that I am "addicted." I know for myself that I can let it go, and find alternative ways of getting the need met. But for now, this is what I choose. As long as no one is getting hurt, I think you're OK. Although, it's kinda' cruel not to let the dog out since he probably has to pee.

keepinon 07-22-2010 09:22 AM

I can get obsessed too. Maybe it is what you need right now. Be gentle with yourself. Getting a little sunlight can't hurt either!:c031:

URMYEVERYTHING 07-22-2010 09:46 AM

Same here but this place keeps me grounded when I feel wobbly. Sometimes we slip off and come back but it's a great place to be. But, still take care of yourself though. And..I agree with L2L that letting the dog out is probably best before he lands one on the carpet. LOL.

Live 07-22-2010 09:59 AM

It is only when I become too caught up in the dramas that I need to step away for awhile. But the house could definitely use some attention~I do tend to neglect that and then feel guilty.

ChrrisT 07-22-2010 11:15 AM

Thank you guys - glad I'm not alone with that.

I remember one of the times my RAH was trying to stay sober, he played Spider Solitaire CONSTANTLY. Wasn't hurting anybody - but drove me crazy!! :wild

NewOutlook 07-22-2010 11:52 AM

I feel you, my house is a mess laundry taller than me and i sit and think about how easy it was when i had artificial assistance... i could do dishes while changing diapers, laundry and and bathing another. I am broken. Ive never smoked yet feel the urge to smoke one of my hubs, just to maybe dull the roar of life. How did I get here. How did I a mother of two caretaker of many become a addict... Ps I was addicted to pharmacuticals...it's not drugs if it comes from a doc... haha right thats what i told myself for 2 years

ElegantlyWasted 07-22-2010 12:06 PM

Hope you were being a little tongue and cheek... SR is a great addiction transference for people early on. Maintenance doses of SR then go a long way as you heal and reengage the things that were triggers All the tools are here to get well.

ChrrisT 07-22-2010 04:47 PM

Well my kids aren't walking around naked, but they certainly don't have clean underwear. :c031:

I agree with L2L that letting the dog out is probably best before he lands one on the carpet. LOL.
I have a Great Dane so making sure she gets out is mostly for our owbn safety, you can't imagine the size of her poops.

It does make me feel good being here

thank you

sesh 07-23-2010 01:59 AM

I did it too when feeling my worse. I spend days with no end glued to this screen, rading and posting. I wasn't giving my kids, or my chores enough attention, and I felt a bit guilty for it, but in the same time knew that was a time good invested, as I was working hard on myself to become that person I wanted to be for myself and my kids.
It was so much worth it.
I'm sure my kids were angry with me at the time, but at the end they were so pleased with what they've got out of it too.
As by healing myself I helped them heal too.
It's a part of the process, at least it was for me. :)

Learn2Live 07-23-2010 05:46 AM

I do find that I am glued to the computer screen a little too much each day. It is what it is. It's all about balance, though. I just have to keep trying to make sure ALL areas of my life are balanced each day. It can be difficult but it is not impossible.

ChrrisT 07-23-2010 05:58 AM

Yes balance is very important. I think it is the novelty and trying to catch up and get know everyone a little.

Thanks for all your responses

Roon 07-23-2010 07:46 AM

... I confess, I'm addicted too!! I need my daily wisdom and reality fixes .....