OT noisy coworkers - did something abt it

Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OT noisy coworkers - did something abt it

As you know I struggle at work due to XABF and also due to noise from him and other coworkers. This morning they have had a PARTY FOR HOURS including XABF.

Thank God I bought some good earplugs that cancel noise...

I just emailed these last coworkers' manager. I would have talked to their team lead over here but he is a SNOB guy that has seldom acknowledged my existence. So I skipped him and went directly to the US manager.

There is also some kind of "toy" they like to press and makes some strange noises like a woman ... well you know. I mentioned that as well and pointed out it is me around 150+ guys and that this is supposedly a professional setting.

I feel a little nervous. But better for having made my complaint. Sheesh I work better at home or at a starbucks, why can't they realize they are bugging everyone around ???????

RANT over. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!

I'm not clear on your work situation--sounds like you're all at the work site together or something. But well done you for speaking up.

And the doll making the woman-orgasm noises? Hello lawsuit! If the manager has any brains he or she will have a real come-to-Jesus with them all and you won't have to deal with it any longer.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

That does not sound like a professional work environment to me. I have some of the same issues you describe at work also so I feel ya'.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good work in standing up for yourself.

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
Sheesh I work better at home or at a starbucks, why can't they realize they are bugging everyone around ???????
I can't remember what you do. Can you do your job that way? If you can I think you should draft an offer of doing just that, even if it is just part time or part days. Working from home or on your own is becoming very acceptable and often times preferable. The higher up's might jump on it as an easy way out of a very sticky situation. They are really out on a limb allowing that kind of stuff to go on. Plus you'd get to work in whatever peaceful environment you wanted! Away from the ex too!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sure hope the US guy will be more "politically correct"!
We've discussed the chauvinism in Latin America before. ugh.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

These last couple of days things have been very very very calm.

Then I saw an unrelated email from the noisy group's boss. It is a woman.

I had sent my email to HER boss mistakenly. LOL. Good.

I feel great and have been able to work and concentrate !!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

HA! Gotta love those "coincedences" when our higher power is taking care of us.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Guess HP knows more about "sending messages", whether email or whatever, than we will ever know. Sure sent yours to the right person, TC.

God bless
Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Today the HR director calls me and my team lead to her place.

They were very serious and scolded me for not "keeping my complaints local".

They said we all need a moment of relaxation. And that all the floors have the same problem.

That I damaged the image of the team that is particularly noisy in the eyes of the US managers.

I wanted to explain, make my point etc, but I did not... I knew they felt skipped by me.. and they WERE skipped, why? because the director himself asks everyone to be professional and these guys ignore him completely. Why would I think they would care of anyone else around here... ?

What is true is that only when the US managers were made aware of this, the local team lead talked to them.

I would gladly do it again.

The HR woman and local team lead also told me "they hope they did not mention my name" or otherwise I will not be seen with good eyes by THE NOISY GUYS. Oh no! NOT THAT!!

Yeah sorry for not being a woman shutting up! I said "their opinion is something that does not worry me".

I am angry but I also feel glad to know my email has caused some actions to be taken and is making waves.

As of now everything is very silent on the floor.

Also I mentioned I personally handle very stressful calls during my 24x7 on call. The team lead said he has no problem about me working from home. So at least I get a week away from everybody every month.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Lost sleep over this and felt really bad during the afternoon someone please tell me I am right... this HR "evil director" acted as if I was making a big deal about nothing... where have I seen this before?

I am noticing once one starts speaking up about what she dislikes, people reject you and act as if YOU are crazy, single you out and in general don't like it that you are not always a smiley kind woman. Then they make it your issue because you are NOT tolerant enough, flexible enough, and probably you have PMS, or need a psychiatrist, or a new boyfriend ... uGH.

Good thing I got therapy at 7 PM.
Thanks for listening.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey TC. If I lose sleep and feel really bad about something, then there is something going on with ME.

I'm not saying you were wrong to do what you did. But, perhaps maybe YOU are having second thoughts about it? Or, maybe it's just that you are uncomfortable because you have displeased someone? Or, maybe it's something else entirely? Really, only you can figure out why this is eating at you........

L
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Yes its the second one, because people are angry with me now...

I think I am new to that feeling . Before I always shut up and did whatever NOT to make them angry (doormat!).

Will talk it over with the therapist and come back with my conclusions...
Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I might also start thinking about finding somewhere else to work. not running away, but as a positive upwards step.

You had a complaint about co-workers messing about with a female doll that made orgasm noises. If I had made that complaint, in my organization, disciplinary proceedings would have occurred against those co-workers, there would have been sexual harassment training for those involved and possibly termination of contracts. In fact I would have kick-started the proceedings, I am a senior manager.

You are not making a fuss about nothing, and instead of acting on your valid complaints, they blamed you for "making them look bad". This company doesn't deserve female employees. I suggest you take them for all the training you can and then take your considerable brain and talents to a company that values you.

This is completely outside of the issues with your ex, but given the two together, if you have choices, I'd start to look at exercising them.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've heard it said that if you haven't pistoff at least one person, you aren't living right.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

LOL suki! thanks. I needed that.

JEN thanks so much for this post-and all the others-. Yes, I am considering moving in the future; fortunately most of my work is done with respectful peers. I wish YOU were one of the managers that takes that seriously. It is not a doll, its something like a chicken toy ?? anyway - really bad taste.... the good thing is this week was extraordinary in terms of silence and order and my stress was way lower. Even others that usually start making jokes , didn't feel like it because it was too silent , lol. It felt like the twilight zone when the woman is fed up and orders everyone to shut up... and everybody does.!

My therapist said that instead of thinking "all those guys are against me" to think it as "all those guys now respect me". And that it is sad the HR director-a woman- didn't side with me -

My mom said "women have kept their mouths shut for too long"..

I feel much better now. Thanks for your support!

PS XABF is from another team and doesnt seem to know about the whole drama. That is funny because he arrives as his usual self trying to joke and he meets blank stares and no one pays him much attention anymore LOL.