Valium for flying

Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valium for flying

I haven't posted about my situation for a while. The last time I did was a couple of months ago when I asked my AH to leave due to his continued drinking. Almost immediately after that he turned around fairly sharply. He woke up in a stairwell the next morning and stumbled into work in a state and they told him to take the day off. It freaked him out a lot, I won't say it was his rock bottom just yet as it may not be, but perhaps one day we'll look back and see it as that.

I can't say if he's sober all of the time as I'm not checking up on him but he is pleasant to be around. He's taken up yoga which he's surprised himself by loving and he's taking his counselling very seriously. He's moved back in and lived in the spare room for the first month. It's much, much too early to trust his new outlook. I know he doesn't trust himself either, he avoids carrying any cards or any more cash than he needs. And he tries to fill up every moment of his spare time with activities, AA, yoga, cooking, DIY, dog walking, etc as he's finds the idea of having nothing to do terrifying.

He's on two weeks holiday from work now, mandatory as production shut down so no-one's working atm. We have managed to get a last minute place for 5 nights in a resort for recovering alcoholics. Strict no alcohol policy, access to AA meetings, lots of yoga and meditation, and cooking lessons with a 'celebrity' chef. (My sober husband loves to cook, my AH loved to pretend to cook while getting drunk in the kitchen and serving up slop, so he's looking forward to the cooking part.) For my part I intend to lie by the pool reading, swim every so often, lie by the pool and read some more and then maybe break things up with a massage.

My problem is I really don't like to fly. I was fine with it until a few years back when I broke my arm the night before a flight and had a really bad freak out after take off due to my arm swelling like a balloon, sleeplessness, pain, strong painkillers, flying from night back into sunset and I thought the plane was sideways. It was really awful and I've never been comfortable in the air since. I can usually control myself but I feel so worn out at the moment I'm not confident I can meditate my way through it. I feel like vomiting whenever I think about it and I've already started having nightmares.

I was thinking about seeing a doctor and getting a couple of valium but a part of me is wondering if that makes me a hypocrite. I want my AH to learn how to get through life without 'medicating' his way through it with alcohol. Yet I find flying difficult and head straight for the pills?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by KittyP View Post
I was thinking about seeing a doctor and getting a couple of valium but a part of me is wondering if that makes me a hypocrite. I want my AH to learn how to get through life without 'medicating' his way through it with alcohol. Yet I find flying difficult and head straight for the pills?

I think "that" makes you a person who takes care of themselves. I'm scared $hitle$$ of flying too, and luckily can't fore see any reason to not "take the scenic" route from now on.

I haven't flown since I've been sober, last time required liquid courage, not an option any more. If I ever have to fly again, I'm going the valium route.

BTW, your retreat sounds wonderful, happy swimming!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((kitty))

Congrats on the new recovery in your home - prayers that all continues in both him and you!

I think it would be wise in the self-care area to seek treatment from a professional for a medical condition (emotion & mental stress is a medical condition). Whether you are prescribed valium or some other type of medication to assist you with flying ~ it is prescribed and taken according to Dr's orders to treat an illness.

From my understanding of the disease of alcoholism ~ substances (alcohol & drugs) are used to cope with the circumstances of everyday life - to attempt to fill an emotionally emptiness with a physical substance.

Two totally different things - but that is just my understanding of this disease ~

Praying you have a wonderful trip and that the time of fellowship, rest, and recovery helps each of you, your relationship and your individual recovery.

HUGS,
Rita
Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have no idea -
Just really enjoyed reading post.
Thank you