OT-Stumbled across a "new to me" book yesterday....

Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening

OT-Stumbled across a "new to me" book yesterday....

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill.

Wow, every self help, positive thinking, visualization, affirmation type book I've ever prused ripped this guy off. Hope they at least waited till he was dead.

You know, it's bringing some stuff to light for me. I've always been of the mind set that lots and lots of money was some how a "bad" thing.

Come to think of it I've avoided this book, which I've been hearing about for decades, for just that reason.

Damn, if that isn't a "self limiting" mind set, I don't know what is. I always just wanted enough to be comfortable and just get along....and guess what?

Never occurred to me if I had lots and lots of money, I could just use what I needed and give the rest away. Giving stuff away is really good for my soul.

Stumbled across it on an automobile forum, some 20yo was suggesting it. Weird, huh? Must have been my "time".

They say "when the student is ready, the teacher appears".

Any who, anybody else have any thoughts on it?

I'm only on the first few chapters, but he seems to be saying that our higher power is "Infinite Intelligence" which we ALL have access to with in our own minds. I'm O.K. with that.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I picked up the 12 audio cassette set a few years back (good thing I still had a cassette player!) and listened to the whole thing. I would find excuses to iron so I could put on my headphones and listen.

I truly believe that it's all in our minds. Authors like Napoleon Hill were Depression-era authors who really sold hope and a dream, but to tell you the truth, it works. It worked for me in my own life.

Glad you found it!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've read it a few times and I really like it. It was recommended to me by a business adviser. I like to read it when I'm feeling stressed about my business...like now! Thanks for the reminder!

I think the title was kind of a turn-off to me at first, but I see that even that was based on limiting beliefs of mine. In the past few years, I've definitely reframed my entire perspective on money and wealth and rich people.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi coyote-

i think it's a trap. while i am all for letting the bounty of the universe flow, i feel that focusing your energy on getting rich is a trap. and i feel that it is a rationalization of a false desire to want to give it away.

be content with your lot. make due with what you have and be grateful for it.

don't underestimate the power of thought. let your intention be to serve your brother and build up your treasue in heaven.

naive
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naive View Post
hi coyote-

i think it's a trap. while i am all for letting the bounty of the universe flow, i feel that focusing your energy on getting rich is a trap. and i feel that it is a rationalization of a false desire to want to give it away.

be content with your lot. make due with what you have and be grateful for it.

don't underestimate the power of thought. let your intention be to serve your brother and build up your treasue in heaven.

naive
That's what I meant when I said that Hill was a Depression-era writer. People needed hope for greater abundance. I agree that it's not about the wealth, but it is about manifesting thoughts in a way that is going to give you sustenance and prosperity. There's nothing wrong with that. Being grateful, of course, is the first step. To me, Napoleon Hill made life kind of a fun adventure. I was never looking for wealth, and I believe in "where your heart is, there is your treasure." But I have felt the burden of too many needs with too few resources. I had four young kids, and a spendthrift A husband, and a defeatist attitude about my capabilities, and ideas like the ones the NH writes about turned my life around. For me, people like him are more the key to getting out of the trap than the trap itself.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by naive View Post

let your intention be to serve your brother
If I'm understanding it correctly, his deal is to always be honest, and provide service, in a win, win, win kind of a way. Other wise the universe would never support such an endeavor. Nor would I!

Oh, and BELIEVE me when I say, I'm satisfied and extremely grateful for what I have.

It's just that I'm out of a gig and, unlike ghandi, I need an income stream. I'm thinking along the lines of my own small business and the last thing I need right now is "self-limiting" thoughts. BTDT.

I think I've been led to a way to make about what I was making in my old job working 60 hours a week, on a part time basis, say 4-5 hours a day. We'll just have to see.

It was certainly enough, and allowed me plenty of opportunities to share my $ blessings in various ways.

The term "rich", is very subjective. I consider my self very "rich", in a blessed sort of way.

But before I know it my land lord is gonna be wanting a check, and I'd best be getting my fanny in gear.

Don't worry, if I start getting too "rich", I'll dial it back a few notches.

Thanks for worrying about me.

Coyote

P.S. I'll remember all the "little" people here on SR! Ha!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think the title is really misleading, and does not really reflect what the book is actually about. It *is* about rich dudes and what they did to get to where they are, but it's really interesting to see all of the things these rich dudes had in common. I first read it when I started my business, and I don't think I'd be in business today if I didn't take on a certain attitude that I wasn't going to fail. Part of the message for me in the book was that half the battle is knowing what you want, and the other half is taking every opportunity that God throws your way that helps you get there, knowing that seeming failures are merely setbacks or obstacles and that you'll eventually get to where you know you want to be. I wasn't trying to "get rich" but just wanted my own business, my own hours, and a decent income, doing something that made me happy and helped others.

Coyote, starting my business was one of the best and scariest things I've ever done. It's turned out to be such a spiritual journey. I've been through the highs and lows and it's all worth it. Geez, I could write my own book about it.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by wanting View Post

I think the title is really misleading

I wasn't trying to "get rich" but just wanted my own business, my own hours, and a decent income, doing something that made me happy and helped others.

Coyote, starting my business was one of the best and scariest things I've ever done. It's turned out to be such a spiritual journey. I've been through the highs and lows and it's all worth it. Geez, I could write my own book about it.
Very cool! And just what I needed to hear.

Coyote