Familiar place....but something's different?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening

Familiar place....but something's different?

Well I made it thru last years economic down turn and figured I was gonna be O.K..

The company I've worked for for 4 years sold off a non-profitable portion of the business and as a result 2 senior drivers were displaced. They were moved into the positions of the two junior drivers, and through no fault of my own I find myself once again laid-off. Damnit.

I find my self in the all too familiar place I was in 4 years ago, but something is distinctly different this time. I'll just hit on the high points.

Then: Had active alcoholism under my roof.

Now: Just the kiddo, the cat and me. (actually, the kiddo's still on summer retreat). So it's just the cat and me for 3 more weeks.

Then: Had no Higher Power. "I" was my higher power.

Now: I've had enough miracles in the last 4 years to make me know, like I know, like I KNOW I'm gonna be O.K. And so is LMC and the cat!

Then: Pure pessimism. Absolutely no faith and a woe is me, why is this happening to me attitude. Poor old coyote.

Now: Total faith, completely positive attitude. Thanks HP, that job was wearing me down/needed a break. What's next! Come on I love surprises.

Remember that time you granted me sole custody when I felt like I didn't have a snow balls chance in hell? How about some more stuff like that!

Then: Couldn't fathom any possible way out of my predicament, even when I concentrated and screwed up my bestest brain power.

Now: Come on HP, I'm excited, whatcha' got for me next? I'm ready when you are.

Then: 1 year behind on mortgage payment, savings acct balance "ZERO".

Now: Enough savings and unemployment to coast me through AT LEAST a year, more if I tighten up just a little.

Then: PANIC MODE!

Now: Serenity. Not sure I'd ever heard the term "serenity". Much less knew what it meant or felt like, 4 years ago. Thanks HP, Alanon and SR.

Then: No options, or so I thought.

Now: Options. Been brain storming a little "in business for myself" idea. Always wanted to be a "one man band". Here's a perfect opportunity. Thanks HP for the clarity to actually sit back and THINK.

Then: Just me and my problems.

Now: A wonderful support group.

I could go on and on but I'm sure you all get it, I know you do 'cause you taught me.

Life is still hard some times, but my whole perspective is different now. Now I see the god (meant to say good, think I'll just leave that typo) in almost all situations.
And if I don't see it, I still have faith that it's there some where, if I can just be still and look.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Great post, coyote.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Isn't it great when you can look back on yourself and your life and see how far you have come? Isn't it great to realize that with such effort and acceptance, you actually have the power to make yourself and your life better? Wow, Coyote, what an amazing testament your post is to the power of the human mind and its infinite abilities. Good for you!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's next! Come on I love surprises.

I just love this part

Replacing "why me?" with "why not me?" is a beautiful thing!

You give me inspiration. Keep doin' what you're doin' because it is working for you!!

Alice
Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, I think this should

BE A STICKY!!

That is one powerful share, bro.

CLMI
Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you, Coyote!!

You know that saying, when one door closes, a window opens, or another one opens or all that.

I was laid off in August of last year. Well, a friend of mine suggested I start modeling-I thought he was crazy, but I took a chance...got some professional pics done and put up a profile on a modeling website. And now I'm doing all kinds of photo shoots, and I love it! And I'm getting paid for it!

This is something I would never have even considered doing, had I not been laid off.

I am also now working on setting up a modeling-related business. My background is web development, and I've had photographers and models make inquiries about having me work on their websites.

So many opportunities have opened up...and I look back, and you have no idea how depressed I was, when I let go. Now I'm glad-the company got sold off, and I think a lot of my former colleagues may also end up being let go. So, this was a blessing.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I reflect on my relationship, and now that I am beginning to see the other side, I can say with out a doubt that this was God (my HP) way of saying to me I have got great plans for you.

In the past month:

New contract for my services for a school that was supposed to be a test run, last year.

Meeting with big wigs at our state's largest specialty clinic for pediatrics, wanting me to come present to them about what I do.

Contacts with old friends and a trip to Dallas in October with them

Referrals from across the state for more kids for me to help.

My first publication in my professions professional journal

A great sponsor in Al Anon

More serenity moments everyday!

I lost my confidence in myself and my direction in life when I was in my relationship with my A, now that she is out of my life, everything is coming back, and better than before!

Thank you God, Al Anon and all my new friends here at SR, I could NOT have done it without you.

Phillip
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post Coyote - I felt inspired reading it. Onward and upward!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing! This is a good reminder for me.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wow. i got tingles reading that, coyote. literally. you're in the universal flow.

enjoy your new found free time.

that little miss coyote is a fortunate little girl.

naive x
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post!

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
Life is still hard some times, but my whole perspective is different now.
It's almost funny how it all comes down to one word: perspective!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that ... I SO needed to read it today ... I was wallowing in a big puddle of your "before" scenario!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow!..... Wow! Thank you so much for your amazing post, Coyote!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How did you change your life so dramatically?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by peggy125 View Post
How did you change your life so dramatically?
Well, I'm glad you asked. It's really very simple, but not so easy, if you know what I mean.

I quit drinking. I drank A LOT for 40 or so years.

HP did for me what I couldn't do for myself, by getting active alcoholism out of my house. That alone made the single biggest difference in my clarity, than any other one thing. And I know MANY others that agree.

I got/accepted a Higher Power, not in an organized religion sort of way. More of a God of my understanding, nature, the universe, kind of way. Lets face it, there are things more powerful than me.

I came here religiously and read voraciously, then finally registered after lurking for 2 years. Ha!

I went to Alanon, court ordered by a CPS judge that made Judge Judy look like a wimp. I still go 2 or so times a week. Four years later I'm STILL afraid of that little bitty Italian lady!

I read Alanon lit almost every day.

I got a sponsor and began working the steps.

And slowly but surely I got better. You can too.

Today I am happy, joyous and free. (picture a grinning, blond (o.k.... gray) lab, waggleing back and forth on his back in the summer grass).

Back before alcoholism took over, my axw and I used to call that "happy dogging".

And I'm still stuck on step 4, by the end I fully expect to be able to levitate.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a nice way to start my day!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, Coyote. I needed to hear that today.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Coyote,
I was here back when you first came around. I can honestly say I have tears of joy reading your post. Isn't it just amazing how recovery works? It's just a beautiful thing.

I can't wait to see what your HP has in store for you. I'm sure it's more wonderful than any of us can even imagine.

Hugs
Cats
Old 07-17-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great post! Thanks for sharing! HP is awesome!