My son died

Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
gns

I am so sorry SoHurt.
My prayers are with you and your family
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

There are no words to say, just pain in my heart for you. From one mother to another.
My heart goes out to you. I wish you the ability to grieve properly, understanding from all the people around you, comfort from your faith, whatever it may be, and a very quick healing from this life changing, traumatic event.

GOD HELP AND BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

(((((((((((((((((((((SoHurt))))))))))))))))))
my heart goes out to you and your family....
peace,
B
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My heart aches for you. I cannot begin to imagine your pain.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Many, many people understand your pain...trust me on that...
plz..AL ANON is just the start...try at least 6 meetings...and maybe a personal therapist<not only for grieving but FOR YOU....[trust me, I know this....]

come here and post and blog...you may get lots of replies or just one or none, the point is to write and let it out....its healthy...for YOU

I wish you health in this tragic time...may my higher power send you HUGS...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
cmc

I'm so sorry for your loss and can't imagine how you must feel.
I hope you will continue to stop by for support....there are so many here who care.
I'm praying for you & your family during this tragic time.

(((((SoHurt))))
Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry.
I lost my son when he was 20, it has been over 10 years now but I can recall all the feelings as if it were yesterday.
please be ever so gentle with yourself and know that we care.
You can post any feeling or thoughts you have in this tragic time.
hugs!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoHurt View Post
Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I am sure I will eventually take up the invitation to "ramble on". I have been trying to be too strong/brave over the last couple of weeks but today I have been in tears all day and I am feeling so low. It is really comforting knowing that there are people here who understand - thank you all so much just for being there xx
SoHurt,

I haven't been on this board in about 9 months but I logged in tonight because I'm having trouble sleeping. I was only planning to lurk. Then I saw your thread.

Soon it will be seven years since my 8-year-old died as a result of someone's disease. Sometimes I am okay now. Other times, like tonight, I can't sleep because I am haunted by regret or pain or anxiety. Sometimes it feels like it just happened, sometimes I can't believe how long its been since I last held her. Each year about a month before the anniversary, I start to get very shaky and I have to withdraw until the intensity passes. This is a huge improvement, however, since I cried every single day, all day long, for almost two years. I came very, very close to dying of heartbreak. There are no words to describe the horror of outliving my child.

I used to ask, "How do you bear the unbearable?"

Sometimes I think I still don't have an answer to that question. But seven years later, I am alive and I am loved.

I first went to Al-anon a few weeks after she was killed. It's not a grief group, and I needed that as well so I found one, but Al-anon definitely saved my life. I had no idea how to live and I didn't want to go on. In Al-anon, I learned things like One Day At A Time (which I had to turn into One Hour or One Minute because a whole day was impossible to deal with).

In working my steps with my sponsor, I learn to cope with my anger, my guilt, my anxiety. I say "learn" not "learned" because it's an ongoing process for me. I also get a tremendous amount of outside help from psychiatry and medication, grief therapy and related support groups.

In Al-anon meetings, I also learned to take what I liked and leave the rest -- I basically ignored anyone who tried to spew platitudes at me or suggest I just "keep busy" in order to "get over" it. I listened only to those people who had relevant experience, strength and hope. Through hundreds and hundreds of meetings, I have met many parents fearful for their children's lives -- whether because the child is using or exposed to someone who is using. For some, recovery comes and lives are saved and healed. For others, our worst fear becomes realized and our world is changed forever.

There are a lot of truly amazing people in this forum. They have helped me many, many times by sharing from their own lives on ALL kinds of matters. And if they can't relate to a specific issue or experience, they simply share their compassion. It's a wonderful resource.

The grief for my child never ends. It does ebb and flow now. At first, it was relentless and I was in complete despair. I had absolutely no hope. Now I find I can genuinely enjoy things, even feel sustained happiness. But it has been a long, long, long road. I loathe talking about it and yet I must express myself about it. Grief is a lonely business and grieving your child is hell on earth. But I have found that I am not alone in that lonely business, if that makes any sense. There are people who will hold my hand, give me a hug, sit with me, listen, whatever. I am so grateful for the people who accept my feelings and needs without trying to fix me. Anyone who steps up now to be that support for you is someone to lean on.

I'll be sending you prayers for comfort and self-care during this terrible time and I'm sending prayers of light and peace to your son.

abc
Old 07-18-2010, 01:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss and my prayers go out for you, for all who have lost.

The love here is amazing.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Very sorry for your loss, SoHurt.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

That's really terrible. So young!!! I'm so sorry.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The compassionate poster above is right... last Friday I found a therapist I felt I could trust and she did validate my experiences and feelings and was a source of so much hope and comfort. God always sends us angels. Today my hope is for you to recognize and lean on them.

I recall when my grandmom died- my mom had a vision of her in Heaven, united with my granddad again - they were in God's glory. This was a very healing image and still is... nothing has been lost, love lasts beyond physical barriers, that I believe with all my heart.

Sending prayers and hugs. So many of you here are so, incredibly strong.