My xabf's friend has been sober 2 weeks!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My xabf's friend has been sober 2 weeks!

So, you may recall, I mentioned that my xabf had a friend who was pretty far down the destruction slope of alcoholism...this guy was my ex's primary drinking buddy. You talk about someone in bad shape...this kid, only 26 yrs old, was headed for homelessness, jail or the hospital. He had become a shell of his former self--had been drinking for about 10 yrs.

I was always giving my ex a hard time about enabling him (pretty hypocritcal, huh, since I was enabling my ex! I was in denial about my ex's problem at that time tho).

My ex used to go to the bar with him and would drink so much, sometimes I thought he was trying to keep up with him. It was scary.

Well, my ex's friend finally turned his life around and got into AA.

The change is miraculous.

I have become close to his gf through all of this-we go to al-anon together, and I invited them both to hang out today. We had the best time, and let me tell you. The change is miraculous in this guy.

It's like the shadow of who he really is inside, that I would get glimpses of underneath the drinking sometimes, had taken over. He looks great! He really does seem serious about working his program and knows what he has to do. He's a very smart guy, and now people can actually see it.

I talked to him a little bit tonight about my ex. He thinks my ex is confused and trying to find himself, and said my ex"gets in trouble when he drinks but that's for him to decide, whether he needs help, and recognizing it..."

I know this is true. I can't help seeing how great his friend is doing, tho, and wishing my ex would do the same, even tho I'm trying not to.