Husband in rehab center-Several concerns and confusion!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband in rehab center-Several concerns and confusion!

Long story short, my husband has been a heavy drinker for probably 20 years. He is 55 now. He has always been in denial about his drinking and has never had plans to stop. He has a lot of health problems from this (high liver function labs, type II diabetes, chronic pancreatits). About two weeks ago, while still drinking as he normally does, he started acting strange...almost like he had dementia. Our family was on the verge of conducting an intervention around the same time. He got so sick, we had to take him to the ER..thinking he had a stroke or something because of his bizarre behavior. Turns out, he had somehow gone into alcohol withdrawal unintentionally. So...he was in the hospital for 7 days detoxing. Yesterday, he was transferred to a rehab center. I met him there to help him get checked in. He was still acting strange: no personality, very confused, bad memory, not understanding what was happening, etc. The people in the rehab center approached my husband as if this was normal and seemed to assume that after seven days of detox, the confusion, etc, should have been gone. When I told them this is not how he usually was, they seemed concerned and ordered some labs. So...now I'm stuck wondering what is going on.

The rehab center itself was the only one we could get through medicare. It is a very rough place with a terrible vibe. I am only allowed to visit my husband in a special visitation room and cannot go into his room. He is still so weak and out of it, however, that it takes a lot of effort just to get him out of his room and into a visitation area.

I'm very confused. I think my husband might have alc dementia and everyone is looking at this as if this is "normal". I cannot seem to get a clear answer regarding this. If everyone assumes this is how my husband usually is....with no baseline....how can they help him?

Should he be more clear-minded after eight days of not drinking? He acts as if he has had a lobotomy! And cannot recall normal things in his life. He still speaks about his parents as if he just spoke to them...even though they died years ago. Things like that. I'm concerned that his liver is in trouble and this is high ammonia levels? How long can this kind of behavior last while someone is in detox?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have the answers that you are looking for... I'm sure someone will come along soon. I know that when my AH was taking librium during his early treatment he behaved similar to the way you have described (like he'd had a lobotomy). He doesn't really remember me visiting or anything during that time. He didn't have the confusion, I don't think, but I do remember him acting really strange.
I'm sorry you are going through all this!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First off, the medical staff affiliated with facility should answer your questions.

sounds like everything you wonder about can cause confusion in an alcoholic.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your husband needs to be seen and tested by psychiatric clinicians...preferable a physician or psychologist who specializes in addiction medicine and is certified by the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM).

what is slangily called "wet brain" in AA is actually a result of organic and often irreversible brain damage done in the course of long term alcohol consumption. However....one must not be too quick to make assumptions. I've known alcoholics who literally had to learn to read, write and even speak all over again, and required about six months to overcome the symptoms you are describing. And who seem to have entirely recovered.

So don't give up hope...but do everything you can to gain access to the proper psychiatric expertise.

blessings
zenbear
Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have mini strokes been ruled out?

I never heard of wet brain. How interesting.

Somebody wrote here that at a certain point and alkie's brain turns to mush. I can tell you when my XAH's did, it was in early spring 2009. It was like his brain/personality collapsed and he just gave over to classic alkie behavior. Every once in a while, he'd rally but after May 2009, it was pretty much hopeless. I asked the kids once when they noticed a difference in him, 'when it became really bad'; they all mentioned Feb or Mar 2009. It was that distinct.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I aslo think your AH needs to be checked by psyciatrist and aslo have liver tests, as US and CT. In my understanding long term acohol abuse can cause all kind of health problems, that can lead an A to a state your AH is in right now. But you need a professional to determine what his condition is.
My AH was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis nearly 2 months ago, and admitted into a hospital, where he went through detox as well as treatment of his cirrhosis. 2 days after he was admitted he had DT. After that for a good few weeks he was similar to what you're saying about your AH. He just seemed as a different person, he seemed lost, couldn't remember many things, his speach was really slured, and he was in this kind of slow motion mode. As his liver condition started to improve so did his mental state, and it is slowly getting better to this day. Docs believe that was toxins in his brain, as liver is not working properly. We saw the shrink last week, and he ordered brain CT and EEG. The results are due back later today. He aslo put AH on some AD pills and since than AH's mental condition is improving even more. He seems to be lucid now, and I even got him playing ninetendo ds games to check his thinking skills and he's doing well, while few weeks ago he couldn't even hold the thing in his hands.
My point is with your AH it can be a number of things, but you need a professional to determine what's really going on. Since you seemed really worried I'd suggest you try to get professional medical help, as from what I read many of similar conditions in A's can be repaired if treated on time.
I wish you both well.
And please, remember to breath and take care of yourself, do only as much as you can and take this as only part of your life, while there are all these other parts where you can be happy (I guess that's the hardest but it can be done)
HUGS
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

God bless you for taking care of him, you must really love him. I was an alcoholic husband. I wasn't as fortunate. I hope he gets better and stays off the poison.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I don't know about the laws in your state, but I'd speak to the director, tell that person your concerns about the facility.