I need strength to get through tonight.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need strength to get through tonight.

My ABF was on a binge from Sunday night to Wednesday night. Wednesday night was my first al-anon meeting. I think it was a bit of a wake up call for him. He didn't drink until this afternoon. He went out to smoke, and was gone for a while and when he came back, I could tell that he had something to drink, but of course he denied it.

I foolishly thought that this might have been a turning point for him. And just now he's insisting that he needs to get through his alcohol withdrawal by trying to find librium on the street (we live in nyc). He was begging me for about 30 minutes for money, so he could go through with his brilliant "plan" to get the librium. I told him that under no conditions would I give him money, but I did offer to get in a cab and take him to a hospital where they could safely help him. Of course, he didn't take me up on my offer.

He left saying that I was betraying him, and abandoning him. And that bad things were going to happen tonight if he doesn't get the librium. I know it's all alcoholic speak, and I'm not taking it to heart. Part of me is hoping that he'll get arrested because of whatever his "plan" is and he can deal with the consequences.

Please god, give me the strength to get through tonight.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

It's super crazy stuff.

You can't control it or him.
You also can't cure him.

What if he is always going to be this way? What are you going to do for you?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear what you are going through..keep going to alanon. you will find lots of support and inspiration ther. Good for you holding your boundaries.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kristmay View Post
I told him that under no conditions would I give him money, but I did offer to get in a cab and take him to a hospital where they could safely help him. Of course, he didn't take me up on my offer.
He's huffing and puffing and threatening to blow the house down because you called his bluff.

Be proud of yourself for the way you handled it! It took me years to get that strong as an Alanon! I'm a slow learner!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

your situation reminds me of a similar story of my own. Just replace the "he" with "she" and replace librium with xanax. And put an XAGF in there for good measure.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Freedom. He ended up coming back home about 15 minutes after he left, but he took a couple of lunesta and just left again about 30 minutes ago. It's hard not to worry, but I'm trying to stay focused on myself and my sanity.

And I'm not that strong. We've been living together for 10 years, and it's taken most of that time to get me to this point...so I must be a slow learner too.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kristmay View Post
Thanks Freedom. He ended up coming back home about 15 minutes after he left, but he took a couple of lunesta and just left again about 30 minutes ago. It's hard not to worry, but I'm trying to stay focused on myself and my sanity.

And I'm not that strong. We've been living together for 10 years, and it's taken most of that time to get me to this point...so I must be a slow learner too.
Kristmay... you're stronger than you give yourself credit for.... you've already held several boundaries tonite... not giving him money.... not caving into his noise....suggesting the hospital (brilliant move on your part).

The process of discovery can take time...will take time... and you are exactly where you're supposed to be at this moment. Relax, breathe... the world will not end tonite... you're doing fine. As for being a "slow learner"... well look at the brightside... you're learning!

((big hugs))
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well...consider me part of the slow learners club too....It's just ridiculous how much insanity they spew around.....No...what's ridiculous is how much insanity I have believed over the years.....Seems like its always me picking up the pieces, which I am more than happy to do for the kids....

I may be a slow learner, but I think I finally have had enough. Now it just hurts a lot, but my home is peaceful....without nonsense....So...Lets hang in there and get through this mess...
Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erica1972 View Post
So...Lets hang in there...
...and hang out here

:ghug3
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
...and hang out here

:ghug3
I'm so thankful that I found this forum. I would be losing my mind right now if I didn't have this outlet to vent. I am so thankful for all of you.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too!

I lurked for about 3 months before I jumped on board... I had lost my mind before I found SR... and indeed SR is a wonderful place.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Slow learner here too
Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

They do use Librium to help w/d symptoms, however he should get this from a Dr. not the street. Also I would totally mot trust him with the money, or with the dosage if by chance he actually got Librium. This should all be left to medical professionals. You did great by not giving him money.

Alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous. Alcohol is one of the few drugs that can kill you just from withdrawal. It is much more dangerous than opiate withdrawal for example. If he is taking any other substances, it can be even worse. So if he gets too bad from withdrawal please haul him to the ER asap.