First Al-Anon meeting in 1 hour

Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Al-Anon meeting in 1 hour

I never thought I would get the courage to go, but I just can't take the way I feel any longer. My ahbf has been on a binge since Sunday night, I'm operating on very little sleep and I just need my sanity back.

I feel sick to my stomach, lost, on the verge of tears at work, and so badly want start healing myself from this sickness.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And this is a wonderful step in that direction.

Don't worry if you bawl all the way through the meeting. There will be very little that the members have not seen. And don't forget, you are all there for the same purpose.

I know that part of getting the courage to go is that it makes it all so REAL. But it is real, you know that deep down, and taking that step to reach out for help is the start of a new future for you.

If you come out of it feeling a little underwhelmed or unnerved, don't worry. Please try at least 6 before you call it a day, preferably several types if there are more available. Sometimes groups have an off night or the dynamic of that group is not for you.

Good luck and let is know how you get on.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did it...I'm very proud of myself. This is the first step to finding out who I truly am and gaining serenity back in my life.

It was a great meeting, I felt welcomed and I couldn't believe how much I could relate to everyone's stories. I was too overwhelmed to share, but I will make it a goal of mine to share at my next meeting.

It was considered a beginners meeting and had about 30 people and lasted for 2 hours. Is this the norm? I didn't expect it to last so long.

My ahbf is passed out drunk on the bed, but I don't have that impending doom feeling I normally have.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kristmay View Post
I did it...I'm very proud of myself. This is the first step to finding out who I truly am and gaining serenity back in my life.

It was a great meeting, I felt welcomed and I couldn't believe how much I could relate to everyone's stories. I was too overwhelmed to share, but I will make it a goal of mine to share at my next meeting.

It was considered a beginners meeting and had about 30 people and lasted for 2 hours. Is this the norm? I didn't expect it to last so long.

My ahbf is passed out drunk on the bed, but I don't have that impending doom feeling I normally have.

:
Hey, I am so glad to hear you went. I am relatively new at this myself, and I just went to my 7th meeting. I can tell when I don't go, or if I can't because of work. Everybody there has been there, and it so comforting to know that. I am so thankful for Al Anon. The 2 hour intro is an interesting concept, I did not know about that. Remember it only works if you work it. It's kinda cool doing something for yourself for a change, huh?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

30 people, wow! I've only been to one meeting... there were 5 people, and it lasted an hour. I kind of like the idea of a bigger group!

Congrats on making that first step!