OT: Okay Yoga gurus out there...

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

OT: Okay Yoga gurus out there...

Speak to me about yoga.

It has come up in a few threads on here the past couple of days. It is something that I have always thought about trying out. So educate me please. I guess main questions right now are...

Are there different types of yoga, and if so what is the best for a lower back problem?

Everyone here go to a gym or the Y for yoga classes, or is there DvD's and DiY books out there for this, and anyone go that route?

On the subject of back problems. I have a herniated disk, lower lumber (L4) if I recall correctly. I rehabilitated it through physical therapy, and not surgery. I really do not have any pain, but need to increase flexibility in my lower back.

P.R.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Good for you PieRat for being open to trying something new and different!

Although it is aerobic, yoga is more than just physical exercise. It is a stress-controller, a muscle relaxer, and teaches your body how to connect with its breath. Reconnecting with my breath (which sounds funny until you actually learn it) changed my life. You do not know how poorly you breathe, until you are retaught. It may benefit you to google "yoga journal" and go to their website to learn more.

Yes, there are different types. I recommend Hatha yoga. It is commonly taught in the U.S. After you have practiced hatha yoga, you can expand into other types. It is a good base.

Yoga will help you to strengthen your back muscles and to relax those muscles around the problem areas of your spine. You could start with a "gentle yoga" class which is good for people with injuries. They are often offered at local hospitals. The teacher will be able to instruct you on what you should and should not do, and the proper ways to adjust your moves so that you do not injure yourself.

Especially given that you have an injury, I do NOT recommend teaching yourself or learning from a DVD. Take a class for your first time, taught by a yoga instructor. I would not recommend taking it at a gym or other non-yoga center, unless the instructor is a certified yoga instructor.

Have fun!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was really into yoga, I liked Hatha because they were basic and easy to follow. Starting out, that would probably be best for you. Many gyms/centers will just call it something simple, like Yoga 1 or something. Once you are comfortable there, you can move into more challenging disciplines, like Bikram or Power Vinyasa.

I'd recommend AGAINST doing DVDs/videos/books if you're just starting out. You really need to have someone there showing you the right form, teaching you how to breathe, showing you modifications, etc.

Plus, there's something so spiritual about being in a room of people all seeking to find their center of strength.

I felt cleansed after each session.

Yeah, I REALLY need to go again.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Yes,go to a yoga specialized place and tell them your goals. Have you spotted any place nearby?

There are many types of yoga but the ones I know are

Hatha yoga : focus on postures

Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga: focus on movement between postures

Kundalini yoga: focus on breathing and meditation

Bikram yoga: "hot yoga" very strenous, aerobic and in a sauna-like place, not for the faint-hearted

Hatha is the most popular and it has done me tremendous good. What I like is that there is no competition with anyone, and you learn how to stretch it and make an extra effort, but NOT too much... in your own rhythm and according to your capabilities.

There are other dimensions beyond the physical aspect. The tenet is "spirit, mind and body" so according to Yoga the body is used to access the spirit calming the mind which is often an obstacle. You'll be astonished comparing the before and after. Also from there it is often easier to listen to your needs and start making other positive changes like drink more water, eat healthier, respect your sleep hours. Overall... it has taught me compassion, made me lose weight, I became vegetarian (well except for fish), has made me more flexible (body and ideas), in a better mood, and my back is in much better form (I sleep on the floor as my bed was not helping).

If it was up to me every human would go to therapy and would wake up doing yoga.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

delighted to speak of yoga. centers you through breath and movement. very calming and helpful to bring one to the present moment. it will strengthen your back but do not push beyond a comfort zone. just go as you can comfortably.

you can learn yoga for free from youtube videos. here's a good one to begin with..

YouTube - Ashtanga Yoga Flow
Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Thanks for all the replies, you all have given me some starting points to ponder.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Birkam yoga saved and changed my life.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm growing

Definately tell your yogi what is going on with your back. They are very good at knowing what postures you should do. Yoga is a great for so many reasons!

I go to classes at the local yoga place
Old 06-19-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

My Yogi???

If I do yoga wrong will I get a Boo Boo???

(Snare drum hits)

I jest!!! Seriously thank you all for the replies and the great suggestions!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening

I was thinking about taking some yoga classes myself, with LMC (Little Miss Coyote, 8 soon to be 9yo daughter). I work out (pump iron) 2x a week now, and she takes karate (green belt w/attitude!).

Any way, the activity center where all this action takes place offers a class, but it's at 5pm on a week day, WTF? Must be catering to the retirees.

But as luck and HP/universe would have it, a small restaurant across the street from our place closed down, and low and behold, what do think just opened up there? The City Yoga Center, do you think that HP/universe is trying to accommodate me?

Ouch, what was that? HP/universe pokes Coyote with a stick.

Good thread, had those same questions floating around in my mind.

BTW, you funny. Funny good.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

P.S. Is there a dress code? I'm just guessing jogging shorts would be a BAD idea.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gns

I would call myself a yoga experimenter (different types of classes)

To add a few more:

Vinyasa - flow yoga, constant movement, not as vigorous as ashtanga

Ashtanga - also known as power yoga - vinyasa on steroids

Anusara - "heart centered" slow, concerntrating on postures

I believe hatha is a general term that applies to all, but in practice it translates into a basic class concentrating on postures.

At least this is what my teachers have told me and what I have experienced

Good luck on beginning your yoga journey!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Is there a dress code? I'm just guessing jogging shorts would be a BAD idea.
Good question. Here are some tips:

Yes, men in jogging shorts is not a good idea. Something form-fitting is best. Even a T-shirt should be form fitting because (1) the teacher needs to be able to see what you are doing with your body so that they can advise you to adjust in order to prevent injury and (2) you don't want your shirt falling into your face, it distracts you from your practice. Nothing tight and stiff like jeans, clothes with "give" are best.

Don't go to yoga class stinky because you will practically be sticking your butt in the face of the person behind you. Wash your feet ahead of time if you wear shoes all that day. Yoga practice is barefoot.

Don't eat at least an hour before you go (you could accidentally throw up) and don't eat gassy foods that day.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Hi PR,

Good for you! Yoga is an amazing way to increase flexibility, tone, and also (most important to me) promote relaxation and awareness.

I do yoga pretty regularly on my own. I don't know what "kind" of yoga I do--the most basic (with all the poses like Plank, downward facing dog, butterfly, etc.), but it works for me. I took a basic yoga class at the college where I work for a couple of semesters and then started practicing yoga on my own at home (by then I had memorized the sequence of poses). I've also found the Rodney Yee series of DVDs useful (esp. "AM / PM yoga", which has workouts for the morning and the evening).
Yoga can do wonders for flexibility, but one caution since you're working with a disc injury (and you may already know this)--if it hurts, STOP. Don't try to "push through" the pain. I came to this realization when rehabilitating a hip injury from cycling. Only do what you can tolerate and work over time to increase the stretch with proper form and breathing techniques.
Happy yoga-ing!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Yes, men in jogging shorts is not a good idea. Something form-fitting is best. Even a T-shirt should be form fitting because (1) the teacher needs to be able to see what you are doing with your body so that they can advise you to adjust in order to prevent injury and (2) you don't want your shirt falling into your face, it distracts you from your practice. Nothing tight and stiff like jeans, clothes with "give" are best.

Don't go to yoga class stinky because you will practically be sticking your butt in the face of the person behind you. Wash your feet ahead of time if you wear shoes all that day. Yoga practice is barefoot.

Don't eat at least an hour before you go (you could accidentally throw up) and don't eat gassy foods that day.
OMG LTD I laughed so hard at this. I have never attended any yoga other than Bikram s I'm the last person to go to for advice, but at Birkam it STINKS in there because its 105 degrees. We all REEK!!

and EVERYONE farts! There is a pose called "wind removing pose" that makes you fart, regardless of what you've eaten.

AND- there was a guy in front of me once with jogging shorts and I looked up and say his entire package--enlarged as all daylights due to the heat--right in front of my eyes. I still can't look that guy in the eyes.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Yes, clothes should be form fitting. I have a background in dance, so I used to wear dance clothes when I went to yoga. But anything that fits close to the body is best so your instructor can make sure you are doing the poses properly. And gingercharlie is right--better to start out with a class before you go on to DVDs so you can benefit from the skills of the instructor. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Okay guys thanks again for all the good information in here, and also for the laughs!!!

So past finding a good class, and teacher I need to not push it too far if I feel pain ( got it FFC! ), but most of all no loose shorts, and do not eat the burritos from tonys greasey spoon diner before going to class and doing the wind removing pose!

Oh also make sure that I have washed behind my ears, and other areas as well! Got it!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
AND- there was a guy in front of me once with jogging shorts and I looked up and say his entire package--enlarged as all daylights due to the heat--right in front of my eyes. I still can't look that guy in the eyes.

We call that a "junk spill", clean up on row 2 please.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

ehm....

I think I'll try belly dancing instead...
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
ehm....

I think I'll try belly dancing instead...
Hahahaha! Is it more gas friendly? LOL
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

LOL transform.

Yes Rodney Yee rules, there are also some audio files in yogajournal.com