OT: Not sure I can do this forever

Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarawayFromCars View Post
...back then, I had such a romantic notion about what teaching was like (probably in part because I had a huge crush on one of my professors, lol), and thought it would be all roses, that I could get them to want to learn and to be as passionate about my subject as I am...but I'm realizing that reality is quite different...and it is really hard--really hard to be a good teacher, I mean. And that's what I strive to be.
All food for thought...
Hard, exhausting, almost like.....trying to hit a moving target....having to constantly reposition/change/adapt to changing conditions that are based on the needs of others: a changing, diverse, and distracted student population. As others have said, sounds like you need a break to rejuvenate and put yourself front and center for a while. After that, if you still feel this way, then start looking at your options. Like someone else mentioned, quality of life is vital. If you're unhappy in the thing you do most often, then making a change is a healthy and positive step.

Striving to be a good/great teacher is a noble thing to do, but also try to remember that you are human and have limits. And that's OK. Do your best, of course, but once you've done that, try to "let it go" or turn it over to your HP.....and go home every day remembering that you did do your best and be proud of what you were able to accomplish with your willing, motivated students and that something probably got through to the ones who aren't. Those students may, one day, come to value their education more, maybe they won't. Either way, though, their behaviors are their own - you can teach, but as so many of us here have learned, we can't control others. I know that's hard to accept for some of us who went into our professions to change the world.....but it is reality.

Thank you for your post (and others), Faraway, I completely understand how you feel.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm catching up on my reading and I just really want to say what an amazing thread. As Freedom said, doesn't seem to be OT at all, just another facet of recovery and how it touches our whole life. I greatly appreciate the thread and am inspired and awed by all who have posted here.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Originally Posted by itisatruth View Post
Striving to be a good/great teacher is a noble thing to do, but also try to remember that you are human and have limits. And that's OK. Do your best, of course, but once you've done that, try to "let it go" or turn it over to your HP.....and go home every day remembering that you did do your best and be proud of what you were able to accomplish with your willing, motivated students and that something probably got through to the ones who aren't.
Wise words, Its! This is something more seasoned teachers tell me all the time--you aren't going to get through to everyone, and not everyone is going to like you! I was very naive when I first started out 8 years ago--I thought if I was passionate all the time, if I worked overtime to reach each an every student, everything else would naturally fall into place. But I've learned that passion is only a part of it. The students have to want to be there and have to put some effort into it, too (and I think that's the disillusioning part for me, that no matter what you do, some students won't get and don't want to get it).

Thanks everyone...this is so helpful.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thumbs up OT: Not sure I can do this forever....

Hi FarAwayFromCars, :ghug3

I had thought I would like to be a teacher until I worked at a Gradeschool Library for one school year while going to the Community College. I already worked at the Public Library part time in the Children's Libray & loved that.

But when I observed the different teachers and the children & how they interacted at library time I decide NO! One teacher seemed what I now know as Manic...talking about herself the whole hour. Another teacher I had been warned about...was married & had five kids but would most likely ask me for a date.

I ended up getting married after one year of college basics & then helped two husbands get their four year degrees...both in Sociology. I did go to more college as I could with raising the children so eventually had a two year AAS Degree...arts & science.

Then as my drinking career increased I just continued working in hospitals as a practical nurse on & off for several years. When I had babies I stayed home with them until they were potty trained then either took classes at a community college or worked.

Finally I got to the point where I was ready to ask for help again for my alcoholism & depression...I had a medical detox & went to AA Meetings for a whole year while working with the Elderly doing Chore Service. My job before this was working as a Rehab Assistant in a wonderful Nursing Home & had made a decision that the Elderly Population was my nich in life.

My second year of Sobriety I took my two year Degree & applied to a private college near where I lived to get a BS Degree in Psychology...I felt it was my turn to finish college after typing both husband's papers for them. I worked half time & went to college full time in the late afternoons & evenings & still attended AA Meetings three times a week & follow-ups for my depression.

I was 50 years old & started a new career as a Psyc. Tech. & with further training & two years on the job training I was promoted to a Geriatric Mental Health Counselor....my dream job!!!! I helped the Elderly in their own homes with depression, grieving issues, alcohol or prescription drug issues & loved my job. Like some of you I was very successful with some & not with others but I felt it was up to the client to decide they wanted to get better and have a better quality of life. I did this work for ten years & retired due to a Supervisor that made my job a Hostile Workplace & my doc said I was looking at a long-term hospitalizion for my depression if I didn't get away from this guy. I had a month of annual leave & sick leave altogether so took that time off to make my decision...& did quit & eventually went through the Equal Opportunity Office for workers treated unfairly & sued the County & got a big settlement. My main goal was to make sure the upper management wouldn't let other women be abused by this man who knew nothing about counseling but had an armload of Degrees to help keep them legal.

When I look back on this...I feel I made some big changes in my life that started with quitting drinking & staying quit....plus taking my meds for my depression which had been totally consuming my life along with alcohol.

The decision has to be yours but I found I had to do "BABY STEPS" & just jump in & stand up for myself...which I learned from AA & my counseling for my depression. I did a lot of research on my home computer & just did not give up or quit trying. I owe my success to AA & my family & my first husband that I remarried after we both retired.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't think this is limited to teaching, or recovery. we grow, we change. to expect our choices, want, loves, interest to be stable throughout the changes of life is unrealistic. to expect to LOVE your job 100% of the time is unrealistic, nor have I ever met anyone who believes that somehow teachers should uniquely do this.

Teaching, enabling learning, is a craft and many, many jobs contain large teaching elements (something that teachers often forget) and the experience and education you have would stand you well in many other careers. The pressures you describe are often described by teachers that I know, but they are not isolated to the teaching professions and it is important to remember that as you evaluate whether you are indeed in need of a change of direction outside of teaching, or whether you want to develop inside of it.

good luck