Having a hard time...

Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I really have thought about yoga, but I haven't the motivation to push forward and actually do it. I have a few yoga and pilates dvd's (also no space at home). I believe the gym I am a member of offers free classes, I will have to check it out. It's one of those things that I want to do, but haven't done... hate trying new things alone. How often do you do it? I try to incorporate a lot of streching in my day as well... the pain gets SO bad.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

I hear frozen yoga is pretty good, Chocolate is supposed to relax you too!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

For my own pain, it is good to practice at least twice a week. I would say that in general the classes I have witnessed or participated in at gyms are not as good as what you will get at a yoga or health center. The Y may have good offerings for affordable prices.

If this is something you have been wanting to do but have not had the motivation or courage to do so, I recommend that you include it as part of your Recovery. Coupled with Al-Anon and college, I would say yoga was one of the hugest and most effective life-changers for me. I don't know what your pain is caused by but I do know that yoga practice is not something you APPLY like a medicine that treats or fixes the problem. Instead yoga re-trains your body in ways that result in less pain to begin with. It also reduces the negative effects of stress on your body.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

PieRat! Now you've gone and done it! I'm going to have to go out and buy ice cream with berries now! Yum! Looks like cookies and cream!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

L2L,

I just realized my rock climbing gym offers free yoga twice a week! It would be a good start since I'm poor!! I imagine it's more of a stretching aspect of yoga, which would benefit me greatly! What types do you do?

I have chronic neck pain due to a rock climbing injury three years ago. My doctor thinks I've torn a muscle or ligament (waiting on MRI) so the pain is unbearable every day. I will give it a go! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by Jenny1232 View Post
L2L,

I just realized my rock climbing gym offers free yoga twice a week! It would be a good start since I'm poor!! I imagine it's more of a stretching aspect of yoga, which would benefit me greatly! What types do you do?

I have chronic neck pain due to a rock climbing injury three years ago. My doctor thinks I've torn a muscle or ligament (waiting on MRI) so the pain is unbearable every day. I will give it a go! Thanks!
Nice! A free yoda! Be careful though it might just be a gimmick.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

LOL! thanks for the laugh!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It's one of those things that I want to do, but haven't done... hate trying new things alone.
You'll be amazed at how much confidence you'll gain by doing things alone, particularly things that make you feel great afterward (exercise, yoga, etc.). One step at a time.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know, I'm actually really excited!!!

And, you should try and be too!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I know, I'm actually really excited!!!

And, you should try and be too!
Oh, I am. Trust me. Running and tennis have been lifesavers these past two weeks. Without that natural high, I'd be feeling ten times worse than I do now.

I'm also starting back up with yoga next week (although I am tagging along with a friend to that...), and feeling very intimidated and out of shape. But I can do it! I can! ... Right?

Plus, there's the added benefit of looking good. I've lost 6 pounds since this breakup, and I'm looking better and better!! REVENGE!! LOL
Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Actually I have heard really good things about yoga. I have toyed with the idea of looking around this area to see if the local Y or other gyms offer it. I heard it can be really good for flexibility, and having dealt with a herniated disk (L4), it would probably do me some good as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Jenny, That is excellent! To prevent injury, please make sure you do the following, whether or not the instructor at the gym tells you this:

1. Go slowly.
2. If it hurts, LET UP. "No pain, No gain" does NOT apply here.
3. Use the blocks and straps and other equipment provided to compensate for low flexibility. Don't be embarrassed to cross the room and get these items.
4. Whenever you enter a lunge (see pic here: http://yoga.about.com/od/yogasequences/ss/standingsteps_2.htm) make SURE to look down to check that you can see your Big Toe in front of your knee. If you cannot, adjust your lunge backward until you can see your Big Toe. This will ensure that you do not wrench out your knee.
5. NEVER compromise your neck. This means that whenever you have bent your NECK or you are applying any weight to your neck to do a yoga pose, keep your face forward. Do not look from side to side.
6. NEVER do neck rolls. ONLY move your head up and down, or side to side.

Have fun! And don't forget to breathe!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good for you Jenny! Keep up the good work and keep stepping forward