SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Out of the mouth of my 2 year old! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/203164-out-mouth-my-2-year-old.html)

Startingover2 06-15-2010 06:50 PM

Out of the mouth of my 2 year old!

Its pretty sad and quite a reality check when you are sitting on the couch with your 2 year old, watching the Laker game and a Coor's Light commercial comes on and she says: Daddy's beer!

dollydo 06-15-2010 06:55 PM

Ah yes, children, the windows of the world, they see and hear everything!

I guess that is why so many of us say: Children First

As a child I was there, not that anyone knew that I saw and heard every little pin drop!

Today, I can still replay all the words and actions in my head.

SoloMio 06-15-2010 07:03 PM

A codie wake-up call came once when I was reading my son one of my favorite kiddie lit books--Horton Hatches an Egg--where lazy bird Mazie talks Horton into sitting on her egg while she goes out and has fun--promising she'll come back, but she doesn't ... for months. But Horton stays true to his word, through the rain and the sleet and the snow as the seasons go on with no sign of Mazie. I LOVED that book.

But when I read to my son Horton's steadfast mantra: "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant--an elephant faithful one hundred per Cent," he said, "You mean, an elephant STUPID one hundred per cent!"

Given the end of that book is Horton with Mazie and the little mixed specie hatchling happily dancing along as family, my son's comment was a great dose of reality.

Learn2Live 06-15-2010 08:08 PM

Yech. What really used to make me sick was my 3-year old niece getting beers for her father (my brother). He thought it was so cool and fun. It made me want to puke. I thought, "Really? You're kidding. After ALL we went through growing up in an alcoholic home and you have your daughter TRAINED to fetch your beer? Get up off your lazy ass and get it yourself." Of course, I never said it but now wish I had.

Daisy30 06-15-2010 10:58 PM

I learn so much from my children!

Jadmack25 06-16-2010 06:37 AM

I believe that the writer of those famous words, eg "out of the mouths of babes", was a parent who had been on the receiving end of a child's wisdom more than once.

AND, if you ever want to be embarassed, trust your child to drop you in it as a matter of course. Some family events I would have preferred did not leave the house, starred at my kid's school show and tell, to my horror.

I am now getting my revenge, via their children, doing unto their parents, (my kids) what they did to me.
I always knew there was a God.....

God bless

nodaybut2day 06-16-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Learn2Live (Post 2626616)
Yech. What really used to make me sick was my 3-year old niece getting beers for her father (my brother). He thought it was so cool and fun. It made me want to puke.

My former stepson, then 11, would rush to the kitchen as soon as he go home, so he could put a glass in the freezer, so when his dad got home, he could have a "frosty cold one". It was so sad. I imagine that pretty soon, he'll be drinking side by side with his father.