Trying to stop drinking

Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Trying to stop drinking

I have a good friend that is a day 30 pack of beer drinker. He wants to stop drinking and has said he needs to eat sweet candy to help him do this. Has anyone else heard of this? And is there anything else he can do (besides go to a doctor or meetings, because he won't) to help himself get thru this. How long will it take him to start feeling better?

From a very concerned friend.

TOD
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are concerned for your friend.

Honestly, I would suggest that you read the sticky's at the top of the forum. There is a wealth of information in them.
Alcoholism is life long disease. He has to want to stop, REALLY want to stop for a process of healing to even begin. And after that....well, it's day by day.
Some want an easy way out of drinking...there is no easy way out. He needs professional assistance most likely.

Others who are here have had years of experience with this. They will offer good advice.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Nope, never heard of that one. Must be a new program, one that he made up himself!

If he is anti meetings, it is going to be tough! Not to say that some people do white knuckle it and get and stay sober, the odds are not in their favor.

I hear your concern, however, this is his problem to solve, not yours.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((TOD))) - I've read LOTS of people, here, on both the newcomer's and alcoholism forum say that they crave sweets when they stop drinking.

Withdrawal from alcohol CAN cause seizures or death, so I would encourage him to see a dr., but we both know he has to want recovery more than anything else. He's got to do it for him, sweetie.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TOD

Like Amy says some swear that candy can help stave off a craving for alcohol, but it's not a programme in itself

Yr friend really needs to see a doctor - some people are fine with detox and he may be one of them.

I on the other hand was a beer drinker...I was drinking less than he is now by the end - and I did not seek professional help.

I suffered two mini strokes and am still not 'right' 3 years later - I may never be.
In the end though it's his choice to make to seek medical help, not yours.

I also strongly suggests he finds some kind of support - whether something like AA, something like SR or counselling of some kind,.

Noone does this alone.

D
Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a lot of sugar in alcohol. So, I guess it would make sense that the A would crave the sugar as much as they would crave the alcohol.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

RABF has gone thru withdrawals hundreds of times over 50 years of drinking, and sweets were craved, and I mean craved. I never saw icecream disappear as fast in my life, and soft drink, sweet jubes and other sugary lollies went the same way.

I wailed.....as I saw alcoholism replaced with diabetes, and had visions of injections, blood tests, insulin problems and coma pass before my eyes.

Mind you, figure out how much sugar is in a carton or more of full strength beer, that is consumed daily.....no wonder the body gets stroppy when it loses out on the sugar fix as well as the alcohol trip.

God bless
Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A family friend who has been a recovering, active again, recovering, etc. A would go through a carton of ice cream in a sitting when he was trying to not drink....

I'd recommend reading Under the Influence. It has a lot of information about what alcohol does to the body and how the body adapts - or tries to - to drinking and has some info on dietary concerns/recommendations.

Last edited by theuncertainty; 06-10-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Wanted to let everyone know:

My friend went into the VA detox center last week Wednesday. He stayed six days and came home. They doped him up with some kind of drug before he was released. He looked better yesterday when I saw him. He's not wanting anything to drink. He's drinking lots of water and eating more regurlarly too. I spent all day yesterday with him. We talked a lot about the recovery program. This is his third time to detox off alcohol.

I ask for all to say a prayer for him during these first weeks into this horrible time. We all know what he's going thru.

Thanks,

TOD
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this time is your friends time to quit for good TOD.

D
Old 08-20-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AH is swedish background and these people really seem to love their candy; there is usually some candy in the cupboard (I don't really like candy and very rarely eat it).

That said, AH has started AA again after a recent relapse - got a sponsor and has goes frequently to meetings. I have not spoken to him at all about his drinking, but one night he went to the cupboard and pulled out a large bag of candy. Now it's usual to have some around for us, but not a huge bag. I didn't think much of it, but maybe he heard of through a meeting that this can help minimize cravings or something. But I tell you, if candy can fix alcoholism, I haven't seen it - means my AH shouldn't ever have needed alcohol as he eats so much candy!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm keeping you and your friend in my thoughts and prayers, TOD.
Wishing you strength and peace.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Me on the knees also. He will be in the list of SR folks for whom I offer my Mass each Sunday. Stay strong and do not let his recovery take you over, as it can do that.

Keep yourself as objective number 1, and pamper yourself every so often.

God bless
Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

We'll call my friend RG:

RG is going to be my sister's next door neighbor when she gets moved into her new house. I met him thru her. There is no worry about him taking me over. NO ONE can do that to me. I'm not one to be used or walked on. Or to be led around by the nose. I'm too much a country Tom Boy and 22 years in Army Combat Boots, it ain't happening. He's got a whole bunch of folks there on that lake front community to support him thru this. Most of them drink, but others don't. He was very upset that no one was calling him or coming by to see him. They were all concerned about not wanting to trigger him into wanting a beer by coming to see him with liquor on their breath. But they eventually all came over together and it made his day.

His place is a hour and a half away from me. So I want see much of him. I gave him the link to SR. So hopefully he'll get hooked up with this wonderful support group. The drugs they shot him full of when he left the clinic has worn off. He wasn't in too good a shape yesterday. But I had warned him this was going to happen. His brother-in-law comes by several times a day to visit him. He's also the one that took him to detox. So we are all hoping for the best on his staying away from the alcohol. It was his choice to get cleaned up. We all encouraged him to do this and he took the leap. His Uncle had told him last month he was getting his funeral suit ready for his funeral.

RG told me there were two men in the hospital with him. They were both told by the doctor there wasn't any hope for them to recover and wasn't leaving the hospital alive. RG told me this was an awakening for him. And RG said'; "Damnit I really got to like one of them a lot".

Unfortunately for us, the addict/recovering addict. We are only one drink/drug away from this hospital bed to the morgue.

God watch over us in our recovery and the lost souls that haven't found the road to recovery as of yet. Amen

TOD
Old 08-21-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When my father was sober for a few years, he ate a lot of sweets. They say many recovering alcoholic crave sweets because theyvare missing the sugar in alcohol they once had.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My recovery alcoholic husband - should buy stock in Hershey.

He did substitute food and sweets and a lot of ice cream.

I think its for comfort and something nice to look forward to.

BUT!! when he stopped drinking it was 90 in 90 and then some.

There's so substitution for meetings and rehab.

Maybe he can visit this forum to get started?...
Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

There's nothing more positive than having somewhere to turn to 24/7 for support. Meetings are good, sponsors are good, friends are good, etc. etc. But they aren't always available when you need them. SR on the other hand has someone on here all the time. You can even meet Aussie's from around the world, like Dee, by coming here. LOL Or Marshgirl, Bugsmum, Angelic and many more!

So it might be a good thing to get people hooked up with SR for more help in staying clean. Me and my Silkies will be here for quite awhile. Morgan is sitting on the back of my chair right now watching me type this message. She'll growl every once in awhile at the screen. She probably thinks the letters and cruiser are bugs. LOL

TOD
Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm too much a country Tom Boy and 22 years in Army Combat Boots, it ain't happening.
did you have to use your "command" voice often TOD? I loved to use mine.
on my kids! lol

when i was in rehab (during active duty) i carried a bag of brach's chocolate bridge mix in my right cargo pocket. never went anywhere without it. had to have sweets, probably the first six months at least.

I hope RG finds his way here and successfully through recovery.

Don't let those silkies loose on anybody!

Beth
Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

wicked:

I use my "command" voice every minute I'm awake! My husband is always fussing about the neighbors a mile away being able to hear me. LOL

The Silkies are good watch dogs. Nothing happens around here w/o the Silkies or the big chickens outside letting us know something is a miss. And don't EVEN let a bug or spider be seen by one of them in the house. They don't have a chance at escaping these fast snatchers.

I haven't spoken to RG since I spent the last day with him. I do need to call him to see if he got the link I sent him. I'll update here later when I find out.

TOD
Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Found out yesterday, RG's mother had a heart attack. They put two stints in and she is suppose to come home tomorrow. It's a good thing he cleaned his act up starting last week. She's going to need him for quite awhile to help her around her house. Things do happen at the strangest times. Same goes with my history.

TOD