First Al Anon Meeting

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Al Anon Meeting

I went to my first Al Anon meeting today! It was awesome! I did not talk, but listened and for the first time in a couple of days, I laughed at what some of the people were saying, not in cruelty, but in yeah, that's me.

I thought to myself, hey these are my long lost friends.

I feel better and know that it is only going to get better from here on out.

My HP talked to me last night as I was letting go and letting God, he said "you are going to be o.k."
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pretty spectacular, huh?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah there's a great saying in AA and AlAnon: it's the only place where a room full of complete strangers can get together and reminisce!!

Good luck! AlAnon sure turned my head around!
peace-
b
Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are so much stronger than me I went to my first mtg last night sat in the parking lot and cried never went in
Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((((((((((crying cross))))))))))

If you did a search on these forums for "first AlAnon meeting" you would find many a thread where folks have done the same thing. Some people need to have that emotional response outside in the parking lot several times before they can walk through the doors! So please know you are not alone, or weird, or cowardly! You were brave enough to get to the parking lot - that;s farther than you've gone before! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Even baby steps will get you places!

Also, remember -it's a little hard to shock people in AlAnon meetings! I bawled like a baby in my first meeting. No one seemed to mind or made me feel bad. I think someone just handed me a box of tissues and patted my shoulder.

The first time I tried to share at a meeting as soon as I opened my mouth my throat just closed up and I started bawling and couldn't talk! I thought I was such a spaz! I think someone just handed me the box of kleenex again and spoke to me kindly.

I kept going. It got better. I learned heaps and found relief and a whole new much better way to live!

peace-
b
Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad to her you went! Its truly an amazing place. You are on the right track. Keep going back and coming back!!!
Hugs
Lulu
Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cryingcross View Post
You are so much stronger than me I went to my first mtg last night sat in the parking lot and cried never went in
Fortunately it was at my old elementary school, so I was naturally curious. One of the staff said "it is over there in that building", I thought to myself "hey that's the old music room!" I went in.

It was a good thing. I went to church tonight and prayed to God to please let me cry. A mile before the church, I was. When I walked in the gates opened. I feel better.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been going to AlAnon meetings for about a year and it has been one of the best things I could have done for myself. I always hear something that I need to hear.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Was the meeting near where you lived? Did you know anyone in the room?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I cried in many of my first meetings. I couldn't even process half of what was being said. I remember thinking afterwards that it was weird that I felt OK about being that vulnerable in front of strangers. There's a real spirit of kindness there.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

we do say this for good reason " IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT "

working the steps w/ a sponsor, making a few alanon friends, taking your OWN inventory, etc. will improve all your relationships and change you in ways you can only hope for now.

Embrace the journey + change and focus on yourself.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whereisthisgoin View Post
Was the meeting near where you lived? Did you know anyone in the room?
Yes it was in the same town I live in. And Yes I did know someone in the room, but they did not know me. She is the mother of a man that used to date my ex. How about that. Of course I will keep this to myself.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is great! Good for you, and I'm so happy that you found it to be helpful and encouraging! I find that sharing instead of hiding my life helps. I have so much shame and guilt and insecurity over my life. I find that when I finally got out all the junk that it helped me not feel so burdened. I like your quote, btw!