Tell me it is okay to divorce an alcoholic

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The CCs are locked up that's how they aren't accessible.

The truck is worth about $5,500.

I am assuming the CC debt, even though we are legally supposed to pay 1/2 each, that I will have to pay it all.

If he is bumming money on the street for beer and I think he is too far gone to manage a job and to pay any bill. Much less a bill to me.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by pear123 View Post

I am assuming the CC debt, even though we are legally supposed to pay 1/2 each, that I will have to pay it all.

If he is bumming money on the street for beer and I think he is too far gone to manage a job and to pay any bill. Much less a bill to me.

IIRC you can designate in the divorce who takes care of which bills. Now what legal strength that has when dealing with the CC companies after the divorce (assuming it is written he is to take care of those, and he doesn't pay one red cent on them), I do not know.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by PieRat View Post
IIRC you can designate in the divorce who takes care of which bills. Now what legal strength that has when dealing with the CC companies after the divorce (assuming it is written he is to take care of those, and he doesn't pay one red cent on them), I do not know.
S and I split the joint marital debt 50/50 and had it documented in the separation agreement so it was a legally binding contract. Problem was it was joint CC debt in my name as well as hers. Shortly after we were divorced S filed for BR so my choices were assume the debt, file BR or get in line with all the other creditors she had. I assumed the debt.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Oh.. sell it If you're pressed for time take it to carmax then pay down the CC debt with the proceeds?

Still might have value as a bargaining chip...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
S and I split the joint marital debt 50/50 and had it documented in the separation agreement so it was a legally binding contract. Problem was it was joint CC debt in my name as well as hers. Shortly after we were divorced S filed for BR so my choices were assume the debt, file BR or get in line with all the other creditors she had. I assumed the debt.

Gotcha, but couldn't the CC debt be taking care of by either party if they both agree? I mean I doubt her AH would agree to it, just thinking aloud here in theory.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well, supposedly if you are married you are responsible for 1/2 the debt. Even if I assume it all in the judgment (which I didn't -- just did 50/50) then the CC are not bound by that agreement. They can still come after me for my share.

My only recourse if I had to pay his share is to then sue him. I'm not going to sue him. I guess I could, but I wouldn't.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sell one of the cars and pay down CC debt. Right before I filed for divorce I took my year end bonus and used most of it to pay down debt so I would not have to give half to exah. Since the car is in your name there is nothing he can do about it.

Close the CC accounts that have his name on them otherwise you will be forced to give him the cards back when the divorce is final and he will be able to use them.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

...just give him the money so he can be out of my hair..

I don't think that he would be out of your hair if you gave him that money. It would be gone fast and he would be right back at your doorstep.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

pear123,
My divorce was final in January. Being married to him was no longer an option. I had nothing left to give. I had to save myself. It sounds like you are at the same place. Now I wonder why I put up with his craziness as long as I did.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

If his name is still on the CC, he can call them and say his card is damaged. Rent a PO Box and have them issue him another card. He needs to be taken off all joint accounts.

You've got 10 days to sell the truck.
That's plenty of time to find a buyer.
We parked our used vehicles on the side of major highways. Always sold them for cash within 5 days if the price is right. My dad always said, "A truck is worth $1,000 even if it don't run."

Since the truck is your vehichle, I would put the money away for your families future.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Last night not much was said except he said that he isn't learning anything in dui school (He had it last night) and that it is a waste of time.
Is this guy a bit thick? What on earth is he expecting to learn in DUI school? Some astrophysics or vacation-ready German?

Yet another one with an over-inflated sense of entitlement. And that's me being polite.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

He pinched the keys and took the vehicle which was in your name and is legally yours, and he did this without your knowledge or permission?

He STOLE your vehicle? He drove your vehicle?
He, an unlicensed driver, stole and drove your vehicle?
He, while unlicensed, stole and drove your vehicle while drunk?

He is a drunken, unlicensed car thief, who doesn't learn anything from DUI school, or anywhere else, because you need a brain to learn and he is a complete dick wit.

The sooner you are free of this moron the better.......Lordie, life must be like standing on beside a geyser....waiting for it to blow.

Keep him from the CC's til you are legally unbound, if possible get them paid out and cancelled.
A friend over here, took out a new CC and demanded the 2 old ones that were in both names, be canceled or her name taken off, before she paid them out, otherwise the CC mob could try and get money from her AH.
After they checked on him, they agreed to her terms.

I hope you are taking care of your safety, as A's do not always stand quietly as their meal tickets and comfort providers walk out the door, or slam it in their face.

I agree if he takes a vehicle and drives whilst drunk again, that you call cops and demand action. To start with it will give you time to arrange legal moves to keep him away from you, and if God is kind, and this bloody idiot serves time in clink, you will be given the freedom and space to strengthen and grow strong for yourself.

Here is hoping for Divine intervention.

God bless