instant gratification

Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

instant gratification

hi all,
I have noticed I have the need for instant gratification. I dont know if this is a codi thing of my own selfishness or insecurity/control issues. Everything in my life I want to happen instantly. I cant seem to enjoy the process. Any input on this? Thanks all!
Hugs
Lulu
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lulu, I think this is a more common desire than you might think. In todays world we have become conditioned to have and get things immediately.

Patience is a virtue. That saying is so true. I was just skimming through a book yesterday that spoke to the importance of learning how to have patience in life and how it can benefit everyone.
It takes a lot of practice. I am one who always wants to offer an immediate response when in an arguement, without thinking it out, and this has gotten me into trouble more than once. One of my goals is to take time and think things through, the results of actions, let emotions pass, and sit with them.

I don't think instant gratification is a codie thing, it's just having a lack of control over being able to sit back and let things be, let things come as they are and not force them.

Even today I have had moments of letting my mind race over things that are truly out of my hands. So why am I putting so much thought into it? Just let life be.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Kitty..I needed to hear that. Patience.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

When I was a child, nothing was a given, there was no instant cash flow. In order to have anything we had to save for it, and, it seemed to take forever.

Today, everything must be now, likes there is no tomorrow, no waiting for gratification. This process has evolved over the years, parents had to make their children happy, they had to have everything so they could compete with their peers.

Then the children grew up and were on their own, now what? Yikees, how do I have everything all at once? You don't.

Back to ground zero, patience 101. I agree with Kitty, not a codie thing.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm right there with you. I dont' really need instant gratification, but I want to know what will happen in the future, if something will work or not, and I need answers NOW. The not knowing kills me. I think the one day at a time slogan is very helpful and also trusting God.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember the pleasure on my mum's face as she paid off the new lounge suite after 2 years on lay-by. I also remember the stern look she gave sis and I, as she warned us of our fate if we jumped on it, dirtied it or damaged it in any way.

If you had to wait for what you wanted, or paid it off on lay-by, it seemed that we appreciated it more than as happens now, eg I want, I get now, I pay later.

I overheard a woman say, "the wedding's in a fortnight and they have everything they need." My mum surprised me by saying, "what a pity." I asked why? "They have nothing to work together for", was her reply. Wonder if this is partly responsible for marriage being part of the throw away society.

God bless