hey, old friends

Old 06-05-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hey, old friends

I've grabbed a moment at a work computer to check in.
I am LOOOOVVVVIIINNGG work in my National Park. I am happy as a clam. I have a wonderful community and a nice home.

I just passed my 3 year anniversary.
I sent him an email telling him happy anniversary and he responded that there is no happiness. He is UNhappily married and unclear where this is going.

I had a long convo with a friend who pushed pretty hard for me to see the writing on the wall.

I promised him I'd call my best friend *just to discuss* the logistics of getting out. (My husband is in a different state with all our stuff).

So, slow progress.

I love you all and think of you often.

Hugs,

Finding Peace
Old 06-05-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am happy as a clam. I have a wonderful community and a nice home.

I think this says it all. What a wonderful image this conjurs up. Kinda like Snow White with all the woodland creatures. (I know, I know, but I'm a Disney fan. When I'm happy I think in animated scenes with talking animals.)

Now that you have found peace and contentment with some space to think, maybe it is the time to consider what would be the worth in going back to the way things were. You are happy without all your bits and pieces and without him. Maybe making the separation permanent wouldn't be as difficult as you might think.

Post some park pics!

Alice
Old 06-05-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just finished an interpretive program and was told, "you have the spark" and "you're one of the best". AWW!! I was so MADE to be a naturalist! And my joy and dedication and heart is evident, I think.
I BELIEVE in the National Parks and I LOVE my job!
Now, if I can only do this permanently...

Well, I am working out the details of how to extract myself from my grumpy, drinking hubby. It means I REDEFINE myself as a working person and not a SAHM. Maybe kids aren't in this lifetime for me, who knows.

I have to decide when and how to get out (of my marriage).
I think when I get home in September...but I am not sure I can wait. Only because it means I play nice in phone calls till then? Weird.
But telling him over the phone? Awful.
Email? More awful.
I also don't want him reacting while he sits at home for 4 months with my stuff.

So, I think I wait.

Peace
Old 06-05-2010, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I LOVE that you love your work. I was talking about this with a friend and now it is 3 of us that LOVE our job! we are so lucky.

I do not have answers for you but I am sure you will find the solutions that work for you.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi!

It's nice to hear from you - I've missed your posts. I'm glad to hear you're living up to your new username, finding peace! Yea!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingPeace1 View Post
It means I REDEFINE myself as a working person and not a SAHM. Maybe kids aren't in this lifetime for me, who knows.
Hi FP. So glad you posted.

About the above.....I believe that sometimes we think we know what we want, then BAM, life whacks us upside the head. Your drive and 'spark' have already redefined you, and you are very astute to pay attention. It's a lesson I wish I had learned long ago.

I know it will all work out nicely for you if you keep following your passion.

L
Old 06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

You're living your positive avatar message and that's awesome!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, y'all...
I have a friend here that has been encouraging me to make some decisions...
I started to push myself to END IT!...
then pulled back and I am working on trusting myself to move at a pace that is right FOR ME.
I did talk to him tonight. He is sad, hopeless, distant, disconnected...
I told him I was getting tired of *not fun* marriage and wanted a relationship of trust and love and joy.
He said I obviously did NOT want those things.
I said I was sorry he felt that way.
I said I was sorry he felt so hurt.
I said that my concerns about him medicating depression with alcohol and not seeing that as a problem, as well as lying to me about it and not seeing that as a problem...
He cut me off and said he already offered to fix my concerns (by saying he'd cut down or quit) and I just am perpetually dissatisfied. That I am judgmental and have already given up on him. That I feel he is never good enough and he won't be in a relationship and be made to explain himself perpetually or be made to feel like a big jerk.
(that stung and made me sad...)
I said I didn't feel that way.
He said he knows I do.
I said I wanted to honor my needs, and also honor that he may not want to be/do what I need. I said I had considered giving up. That I didn't want to, but I'd be willing to if that was what was best for us.
I said I was committed to treating him with respect and that I loved him.
He said that was just rhetoric.
I didn't reply.
I said it just sucks.
He said, "What? That you tore me apart and broke my heart?
Aww, geez.
I said, "You know, I could reply with the same level of righteousness and hurt and defense and explain MY side...but then we'd both just not hear one another...
but don't you think you had ANY responsibility?"
"Oh, yea," he replies, "I'm sure it's all my fault and I'm a big jerk."
"Could there be a middle ground"
He murmurs a fully detached, "sure."

So we gave up tonight on trying to talk.

But, here's the thing...
I am in a surprising place.
I am sad, for sure.
I second guess myself when I talk to him.
A part of me still wants to make him feel better, get him to not blame me, make him understand...
A part of me is resistant to ending my marriage, still...

And yet, I am not bereft. I don't feel abandoned by him. I don't feel lost.

I do feel trepidation about how the future will be (I don't have that worked out)...
and I have concerns he will make things difficult when I say I am done...
but I have excitement and hope about the future possibilities.
I want to treat him honorably and kindly.
I feel...still.

Disinterested in drama.

I keep bringing myself back to: I am growing and it is painful and I have changed the rules on him and it hurts him, and yet, I am making good choices for me and I am okay. I am safe.

I have a friend that got broken up with recently. She was feeling insecure and not good enough and needy and lost and lonely...
and I realized I don't feel much of that at all.

I had another friend that got in a big disagreement with another buddy who ended their friendship. She is feeling abandoned and not good enough and judged and worried that this person is spreading rumors about her and messing up her whole life...
and I don't feel like that.

HOLY COW! What good work I am doing! LOL! Who am I??

I feel a little underwater - like everything is a bit slow motion and surprising. Is this really so? How silly. I love him. He loves me. Can we not communicate? Can we not come to compromise? Can we not trust? Truly?

But I also feel a sense of quiet...
...and observation and...
...allowing...
(maybe not in full, yet, but even that is okay.)

Does that make sense?

Perhaps it is being here. Being so fulfilled in my work and so supported and KNOWING I am more than these challenges.
As my mother says, "Don't forget to hold the challenges in one hand WHILE holding the joy in the other."

It is all true.

I can love him and let go.

I can love him and let go even if he goes down in his sinking ship insisting that I don't love him - perhaps never loved him.
And that will burn and ache inside my heart.

And I can let that be the last word.
And love him still.

It aches. It is so sad. It is such loss. Of hope and possibility and dreams.
And I can make space for that
as I continue to breathe a day at a time and move forward.

Now, don't get me wrong! I don't know how to end it.
I can't seem to find a "good" time to have that conversation.
I want to get it over with and at the same time I feel like I should wait till I get home at the end of September.
I don't have it (in any way) together!!
But I will be okay.

You give me modeling and encouragement and hope.
I am glad to check in.

Peace
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

goood for you! Man, I need a career like that. I can't wait to have that element in my life figured out.

You always had things figured out FP, maybe it was just a matter of carrying it out.
You're so clear headed and considerate in a way that isn't screaming codependent. Bravo m'lady! Yay This is bringing joy to my heart tonight. Please keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You know, two other things.
One, I missed y'all.
Two, he said the other day, "I just feel disappointed that you are happier without me than with."
Later, upon reflection, I was really moved by that.
We were both unhappy together.
I went to follow my work-happiness and feel good.
He STILL feels unhappy.

Dude. You're an unhappy person, whether I am around OR NOT!
I get unhappy around you.
Wow.

FP
Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is helpful to read how you love him yet still understand that leaving him may be best. That helped me this am.

Please check in from time to time. You are a success story in process.