He sent me a letter; said his therapist wants to talk to me

Old 06-05-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I am glad it worked out that way for you KP. I'll admit, I was a little nervous for you but we always make the right decisions for ourselves in the end, don't we? :O)

As for this:
I know I shouldn't need any other validation other than my own judgement, but it feels good just the same.
That's not true; there is no should or shouldn't KP. You are HUMAN just like all the rest of us and all of us need to feel validated. I am so relieved that is what you got from your encounter with the therapist, and that you did not get what i was afraid you would get.

YAY!!! HAPPY!!! Thanks for the update.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ahhh I am glad it turned out well.

I also felt great when someone I hold in high regard told me it was a brave thing not many people do, to leave a toxic situation. IT was like THANKS FOR CALLING IT TOXIC AND NOT FOR ME! sometimes we believe it is all about us

sesh, I hear you. After all SR is about listening to ourselves, I recall a child's story about a small (female) pony trying to cross a river. The squirrel said it was deadly, the cow said it was easy, after all she tried and with some difficulty she was able to cross it herself! it was not that easy, but it was not deadly either..
Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ah, KP I am so glad that it went well. I think it's pretty telling that his own therapist needed clarification, from you, about whether you're in a relationship still, even after you've gone NC. A big part of the pain of this disease is what happens behind closed doors with the A - stuff that nobody else sees. To have someone solid and neutral see it for what it is and validate your decisions must feel soooooo good.

Hugs,

SL.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stilllearning View Post
Ah, KP I am so glad that it went well. I think it's pretty telling that his own therapist needed clarification, from you, about whether you're in a relationship still, even after you've gone NC. A big part of the pain of this disease is what happens behind closed doors with the A - stuff that nobody else sees. To have someone solid and neutral see it for what it is and validate your decisions must feel soooooo good.

Hugs,

SL.
Thank Still. I think his therapist had an idea that maybe things weren't really the way xabf was saying they were. I got the impression he was relieved by a lot of the things I was saying. It does feel good to have someone who specializes in helping alcoholics tell me the things he did.

Thanks for helping me through this. It feels like the last of the ripples in the water (visualizing myself jumping ship, swimming to shore, and turning to watch the water).
Old 06-06-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

To be honest though, I think there will be more ripples. He's almost out of money. I imagine he will be without a home soon too.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I love this story. Thank you for sharing it.