New to the forum and dealing with an alcoholic wife

Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

New to the forum and dealing with an alcoholic wife

Hi all,

Just found this site. I plan on scouring it over with a fine tooth comb and taking in all the info I can from here. I am at my witts end.

I am dealing with a person who was a closet alcoholic for a long time. I cannot control how this person wants to live or should I say destroy their life, but I do need to learn how I deal with this. I really do not want to have to end the relationship, but it is looking more and more like that will be the only option I will have. I have a 2 year old little boy to protect and keep out of harms way.

This person needs to make a decision in their life, and soon. They need to get help, and be the parent our son needs them to be, or risk loosing it all for the sake of drinking.

Anyway I look forward to mixing it up here with you folks and learning from others, and who knows, maybe even offering any help I might be able to as well.

PieRat
Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of all, welcome to SR! I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but am glad you found us.

The fact that you realize you can't control what she does with her life is a huge step in moving forward with your life.

Educate yourself as much as possible on alcoholism. There are several 'sticky' topics at the top of this forum that are good reading.

Check into Alanon meetings in your area. They are a great source of support for those of us who have been affected by a loved one's alcoholism. I was married to an alcoholic/addict, and I have a 32 year old AD. Alanon has been a lifesaver for me.

Get your hands on a copy of the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. I still have it on hand for reference after 10 years.

Last, give that little boy of yours a hug for me. I have twin stepgrandsons who will turn 2 in September.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Thanks for the reply!

I am writing the name of the book down as well as "alanon". Is that AA?

I will google it.

Bah! It says you cannot PM till you have 5 posts....Was going to ask you since I am not familiar with terms or abbreviations used on this forum yet. When you said you had a 32 year old AD. Is that to mean a Alcoholic Dependant?

Sorry I do not mean to pry, just am confused.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alanon is a 12 step program for loved ones of alcoholics. It's been a wonderful resource to help me heal from having a daughter active in alcoholism, and to heal the wounds from being married to one a long time ago.

I came into Alanon via the back door of AA. I had been around AA for 13 years when I finally hit my codependent bottom and knew I needed more than just AA.

You can get used copies of that book pretty cheap at Amazon.

PS. AD = alcoholic/addict daughter
Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Hi PR,

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of understanding and support on this site. I think it is important that you are realizing that you cannot control, or "fix" your wife or her addiction. That's the sad reality--we are powerless over their choices. What we can control is ourselves, our reactions, our decisions. And it sounds like you have a lot of love for and concern about your 2 year old son and his exposure to his mother's illness.

Keep posting and know that you are not alone here!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just an FYI on acronyms:
AD = alcoholic daughter
AS = alcoholic son, or sister
AH = alcoholic husband
AW = alcoholic wife
RAH = recovering alcoholic husband
RAW = recovering alcoholic wife
ABF = alcoholic boyfriend
EXAH = ex alcoholic husband (divorced)

Getting the jist of it?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by FarawayFromCars View Post
Hi PR,

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of understanding and support on this site. I think it is important that you are realizing that you cannot control, or "fix" your wife or her addiction. That's the sad reality--we are powerless over their choices. What we can control is ourselves, our reactions, our decisions. And it sounds like you have a lot of love for and concern about your 2 year old son and his exposure to his mother's illness.

Keep posting and know that you are not alone here!
Thank you! I will definitely be hanging around here a lot. So move over and make room. lol.

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Just an FYI on acronyms:
AD = alcoholic daughter
AS = alcoholic son, or sister
AH = alcoholic husband
AW = alcoholic wife
RAH = recovering alcoholic husband
RAW = recovering alcoholic wife
ABF = alcoholic boyfriend
EXAH = ex alcoholic husband (divorced)

Getting the jist of it?
I got it...so AW is not rootbeer, and RAW is not sushi...Got it!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

You may be convinced of what your AW needs to do, her perception of that is likely very different.

The only thing you can be 100% sure of, is what you need to do.

Do you have a plan? Are you ready and willing to do what needs to be done to safeguard your son?

And welcome to SR
Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
You may be convinced of what your AW needs to do, her perception of that is likely very different.

The only thing you can be 100% sure of, is what you need to do.

Do you have a plan? Are you ready and willing to do what needs to be done to safeguard your son?

And welcome to SR
Oh yeah her perception is way totally different for sure. I am working out that plan. Part of the reason I am glad to have found this place. Lots to read and think about in here.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

PieRat,

You have a wonderful sense of humor (sushi). Keep that going; a sense of humor can be an excellent coping mechanism when times are tough. AS for me is Alcoholic Sister.

Hugs to you!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by FarawayFromCars View Post
PieRat,

You have a wonderful sense of humor (sushi). Keep that going; a sense of humor can be an excellent coping mechanism when times are tough. AS for me is Alcoholic Sister.

Hugs to you!
Aha! AS is not what I am sitting on right at the moment...got it!

Oh yeah I have to look at everything in life with humour. Life is way too short, and it is not worth it to let negative emotions rule my world.

Now if I can just figure out why my signature isn't showing up...I swear I got it under the correct file size, etc... Is there a certain post limit I need to meet? If so I will post <cough spam cough> a lot more. /just kidding.

EDIT: Nevermind it just showed up. lol
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track to getting help and support.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by praiseHim View Post
Welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track to getting help and support.
thank you praisehim.

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
Pie Rat - Pirate! OMG i get it! usually this takes me about 2 years average!!!! i'm so impressed with myself! LOL nothing to do with cherries or key lime....
Well actually...you could also twist it around so it has something to do with at least the key lime as that is sorta part of the theme in an odd sort of way.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LOL, you're awesome PieRat! I just have to say I burst out laughing when you said, "so AW is not rootbeer, and RAW is not sushi"!!

Thank you for the laughs! That aside, I hope your situation turns around for you and your little boy. I wish there was more I could say to offer advice, but I suck at this kind of thing!

However, you have a great approach to life! I hope I can adopt some of those skills!!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

PieRat,

When you say your wife is a closet drinker, do you mean that she doesn't drink in front of people at all?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
PieRat,

When you say your wife is a closet drinker, do you mean that she doesn't drink in front of people at all?
Eh I got to skiddattle from work here...can explain better later, but she basically hid it from me pretty much all the time we were dating and stuff. I mean there was drinking, but it was light and casual while we were together, when she was alone, it was big time benging(sp).
Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Red face I am the alcoholic wife in our family...

Hi PieRat,

It took me a long time to see the forest through the trees but I eventually did and when I decided to sober up just for myself & no one else...it worked.

My original problem was Major Depression with anger & anxiety back in my teen years when they really didn't know quite how to treat depression but did give me plenty of "PILLS". This continued on into my first marriage but when I discovered I could have some fun when drinking I gave up my pills so I could drink which wasn't an addictive problem in the beginning.

Needless to say, I have learned a whole lot over the years & know I was a very needy person when I wanted to quit drinking. I could quit for up to a year & then somehow picked up that first drink again & again until the last "slip" ended after 14 more years of drinking.

The more my husband told me what to do about my drinking, the more I drank. He drank with me but did not drink like I did....to self-medicate my depression & life events that were unbearable at the time.

My second husband was a heavy drinker but recognized it as a problem so he was the Retired Army Boss Man & controlled when & where we would drink. By then I was working full time so didn't seem to drink as often or as much.

When I divorced him it was under very difficult circumstances & he was court ordered out of the family home & my controled drinking turned into nightly drinking at home after work. I had one of my five children still home & she was soon 7 after this all happened.

I eventually moved closer to where my other kids were living. I sold the house & moved after school was out that year. My husband spent jail time & four years in sexual offender group therapy so wasn't allowed to see our girl until he completed the group.

This is too long a story to keep going but in four years I was asking for help. I had moved into my own place with my daughter but saw my first husband on weekends. I concentrated on my sobriety "only" & counseling for my depression at the same time for the first year. The second year of my sobriety I went back to college & got a BA Degree in Psychology & started a new career when I was 50 years old.

My first husband & I are retired & we did remarry again. He was more willing to support my staying sober & depression & quit drinking himself before I went back to him. We both were scared of a committment after we both had another failed marriage.

My involvement with AA & the many friends I made & the right medication for my Chronic Depression gave me a chance to achieve my goals...I just had to be willing to do what it took for ME to want to stay sober more than anything else in my life & it worked for me now for 21 years.

kelsh
Old 06-03-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a 2 year old little boy to protect and keep out of harms way.

And as long as you keep that foremost in your mind you will know what is the right thing to do.

AlAnon really helped me get my head on straight when it comes to my A brothers, I definitely recommend it.

Glad you're here-
peace-
b
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Originally Posted by kelsh View Post
The second year of my sobriety I went back to college & got a BA Degree in Psychology & started a new career when I was 50 years old.

My first husband & I are retired & we did remarry again. He was more willing to support my staying sober & depression & quit drinking himself before I went back to him. We both were scared of a committment after we both had another failed marriage.

My involvement with AA & the many friends I made & the right medication for my Chronic Depression gave me a chance to achieve my goals...I just had to be willing to do what it took for ME to want to stay sober more than anything else in my life & it worked for me now for 21 years.

kelsh
Wow Kelsh Thank you for that post. It is nice to hear the success stories of people who have turned their lives around. I am glad you decided to share that!

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
I have a 2 year old little boy to protect and keep out of harms way.

And as long as you keep that foremost in your mind you will know what is the right thing to do.

AlAnon really helped me get my head on straight when it comes to my A brothers, I definitely recommend it.

Glad you're here-
peace-
b
Thanks Bernarette. I am going to check up on local Al-Anon meetings around here.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Sounds like my AH is like your wife, although he was an A in his early 20's but got sober. Then without my knowledge he began as you say closet drinking, but never and still does not drink in front of me or our kids. I have confronted him once, but all i got was i will stop, unfortunately not knowing if he has or not because he does it secretly, but recently i have found the bottles again, what does one do?

Your son is lucky to have a good D like you. Keep well