getting by

Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LS2

getting by

Some days I feel like I have bipolar-but lately we have been getting along pretty good and I feel like alot of the anger has lifted and feel pretty okay and it feels better to not be stuck in the horrible anger.

I just don't understand though, can someone truely be sober and stay sober by their own willpower? I am pretty sure he gave up on treatment for now and more focused on getting his license back.

The A keeps him self really busy and is constantly doing something like mowing the lawn, painting, fixing stuff etc which is awesome but at the same time it feels like he is doing this to "get by" without the help of professionals.

The issues with the stepson are being looked at, we haven't heard back from his school. A had called his teacher, he didn't want at first but finally did...and the stepson has not come over this month...I won't allow it, I told A that he can arrange something if he wants to visit with his son, but for now the weekend visits are not goign to happen.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by LS2 View Post
I just don't understand though, can someone truely be sober and stay sober by their own willpower? I am pretty sure he gave up on treatment for now and more focused on getting his license back.

The A keeps him self really busy and is constantly doing something like mowing the lawn, painting, fixing stuff etc which is awesome but at the same time it feels like he is doing this to "get by" without the help of professionals.

Yes. People get sober and stay sober without rehab.
I am one of them. There are lots of sober, recovering alcoholics here at SR that did not use rehab to get and stay sober.

I want to point out that there is a difference between sober and recovering. Sober is staying away from alcohol. period. Recovering is staying away from alcohol and learning new coping skills to handle life on life's terms.

There are many, many recovery options available to recovering alcoholics.
Rehab is one of the options.

What steps are you taking in your recovery?