Quick Question

Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick Question

I just starting working the steps (I just started on step one yesterday), and I have a question about them that I was hoping someone could help me with. I'm not sure how much time I should spend on each step. I printed out the questions from the step study, and answered those, but I also saw someone's post that suggested working on one step every month. If that is the best way to do it, then I would like to know what I am supposed to do with each one for a whole month? I am typically a pretty impatient person, and I don't want to rush through this, as I really want to do it right, not quickly, so I would love some input on about how long I should spend on each. I have not started going to Al-anon yet, so I don't have anywhere else to ask this stuff. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my own personal experience, it worked well for me to have a sponsor in a 12 step program to guide me through the steps.

I have no idea where the 'step a month' thing came from as I've heard it before. I would never recommend that to anyone. The sooner I got all my garbage out, the better.

I originally went through a 30-day inpatient rehab back in 1986, and we were required to get through the first 8 steps before we left treatment. I'm grateful for that because it gave me a good start on recovery, and I had a sponsor before I ever got out.

Left to my own devices and thinking, I would have skewed the interpretation of the steps and botched them!

I actually do a written first step about once a year. It helps me tremendously to see how unmanageable my life had become (and still can, when I run on self-will), and the powerlessness in my life over other people.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

If it's a step a month, I'm waaaay behind!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

A sponsor you respect guiding your progress would be would seem ideal to me. That being said, try to find a meeting in your area that does the 12 steps in one sitting. It not supposed to be a miracle cure, but it is a great way to get alot og good stuff early on while doing them separately at the same time with a sponsor. I could also see it working doing it by yourself, but I would find a way to get feed back online frome someone here. A large part of what I got ou of the 12 steps was how others approached it. There are alot of great approaches, but some can point you in the wrong direction. Hit up the 12 step for if you want for a great guide to the twelve that was going around for a while. I found it was great. I believe it was in adobe or word format and gave me some real insite. Best of luck, whatever time frame you feel comfortable witH is best....