Reality Instead Fantasy

Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality Instead Fantasy

I was so full of I cant, I cant, I cant!! It took me a long time to figure out YES I can and I am and I will.

I dont know what hit me or what came over me, but I have had it, I am done, I need to take care of me. I am learning for all those years that I said I couldnt change things I really could. I used my kids, my job, my house and everything I could for excuses why I had to stay in the relationship or surroundings that I chose to stay in for so many years. I didnt have to I know that now, and it took me a long time to figure out, "Hey you know what, you are just as crazy and sick as the A is in your life." When I came to that realization is the day I started my recovery. I stopped focusing on what he was doing, and started focusing on what I never even knew I wanted and just did it.

When you get to a point and you know when the point is, nothing matters, except freedom and a way out, happiness, no more endless nights of crying over something or someone else that I cant control, or change.

I am learning to get control over the only person I can control and that is myself and my choices that I make. I have made so many big choices as an independent, individual the last six months, I have kept very quite about them. I made little progress, than just a little more progress, all those little's has turned to big.

I have let myself get pulled back in so many times, but the difference is this time I still kept my focus on my goals to take care of me. I know my eyes are wide open, I do have a way out, I can take care of myself. I have a huge goal set for August and I look at it daily. I have drawn a chart with all the little goals I have achieved and it feels so incredibly good to see how close I am to my August goal the "Life Changing Goal for ME"

For years I didnt want help and didnt realize I really didnt want help, I always said I did, I talked to anyone who would listen to me. My hope and potential of what could be is gone. I now have hope and potential for me and what I can do for MY future.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard for people like us to focus on ourselves because for whatever reason we unlearned that healthy self interest/selfishness that everyone should have. Guilt is a powerful emotion.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel they emotionally battered us so much they beat us down to the point that at least I have to crawl back up. I know my stbaxh did that. He put me down a lot cause he was so insecure and my self worth plummeted. I am only starting to realize that now..We have to take care of ourselves and get healthy again....
Hugs
Lulu
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are right Duped but I am one of those people and it has taken me a very long time, years to let go of that guilt. Baby Steps
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Letting go of guilt is hard because along with anger and anxiety, guilt is one of the main weapons in the alcoholic/addict's arsenal. Not to mention projection, namely of anything and everything they are the most guilty of. The spouse of an addict/alcoholic is indeed more insane than the A themselves are if we remain mired in the relationship.