Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT - trixi the foster cat just jumped on me/scratched me :( !

Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am very upset and a crying mess.

Sorry to vent here.

She got spayed yesterday and was on a room on her own. She was hissing to her kittens and the kittens were hissing at her.

I came in and opened both doors, well some kittens were more friendly. Some were not so I closed the door but one came in to Mom's room. They were very hostile and I was afraid they would fight so I tried to grab the little one! what a dumb move. Mom jumped on me and scratched my arm so when I yelled and pushed Mom away the little one got angry and scratched me too!! it was very scary to have both cats jumping at me, so unexpected I washed my scratches with water, putting "bacfree" and will see a friend doc tomorrow.

I am upset and needed a place to vent. I am angry my favorite dress was ruined! I feel like an idiot for trying to save the kitten... I really felt Mom was going to attack him.

IT was horrible, then BF came in and got angry and told me "now you see what you get for trying to save animals!" and I asked him to leave the room. Then he apologized and now we are OK but damn, just like when the crazy neighbor was provoking anger, instead of being cold and thinking he gets involved and generates more stress. When hea rrived he went to the mom cat's room immediately,what for, I don't know, but it was way more stressful than just me alone processing things and trying not to make things worse.

Thanks for listening. :'( A really bad night over here.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((TC))) - I'm sorry the cats got out of hand, and bf made it worse. I know that there were a few occasions my cats have scratched me and I just started crying. It was usually because it WAS unexpected, something that could have been avoided had I paid closer attention (there was usually a growl before the scratch), and well...it just hurt my feelings

You're doing a great thing by taking care of all the cats/kitties and bf just doesn't "get it". I do. More than likely you were already a little stressed and this was just the final straw.

Sending you mega hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Hugs to upset you, upset post surgery momma cat and upset confused kitten. I've been scratched many times (with some scars to prove it too!) and they can really sting! Take care of yourself sweetie.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks a lot for your kind replies. Yes, after I felt hurt I understood mom is probably afraid and upset. Also I am reading spaying older cats is harder on the hormones, I only had exp. with young cats so I didn't know that... also she looks very thin.. but I am glad she is finally unable to have more litters, I feel good about that.

BF wanted to get her out on the streets, he was angry... but I told him we would regret it later and she is not a bad cat. She is just recovering and I won't abandon her now... I will just send BF to take care of her now :evillaugh:

I will see a doc. and .. this is a good excuse to... see if I can buy a similar dress I wish I can get mine repaired..

I can take this as an exercise on compassion and I really hope all cats recognize each other again.... meanwhile I am starting to tell everyone about the kittens.

Before, mom cat went for my smallest cat Gabanna, they had hissed and somehow Gabanna was able to open the door she was in. Trixi jumped on Gabanna as well.. BF separated them and no cat was hurt but it was scary as well. Now I'm afraid of trixi and before she even sit on my lap, was very loving, etc :'(

Thanks your support it helps tons. I got all my arm and shoulders scratched and it hurts but I know compassion towards them and me will get me through!!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awww....so sorry. Mamas will do anything to protect their babies, and if it helps, it's "not personal"--she's just doing instinctively what she's meant to do. She's probably in a bit of pain, too, from the spay surgery, and still has her little ones to look after (are they also nursing from her? Could be painful).
Also...cats will react with anger / aggression when being pushed apart--they view it as an attack or threat and react with an "attack back"--i.e. scratching or biting. Maybe they both felt threatened (even though you were trying to help them).
Maybe keep them in quiet rooms and encourage good behavior / human contact with treats or gentle pets / talking to them quietly and calmly.
So sorry the BF didn't understand...my husband and I live with a kitty that was not socialized well as a kitten (she came into the shelter abused), and part of her has never gotten over it, though we have come leaps and bounds in trust and bonding. I've learned that there are certain "buttons" that I can't push with her (i.e. she'll never be a lap cat), and we co-exist relatively peacefully for the most part.
Wishing you hugs!
And treat the scratches with antibiotic cream--they can get infected quite easily.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Momma cat is still probably in pain from the surgery. Also, the anesthesia acts as a hallucinogenic on cats after they are awake, and with older cats, it can take several days to get it out of their system. It makes them hypersensitive to sounds and light.

I had a cat who was 2 years old before I was able to get her spayed, and it took around 4 days before she was back to 'normal'.

If you ever get scratched again, make sure you take a couple of aspirin too after you wash the scratches. My vet always had me do that when I was working for him, and I was scratched several times by cats. Just hazards of the job.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks Tryingtofly, I will try to treat them today, and am giving homeopathy/stabilizer remedies to everyone. Including myself !

I went to the vet and she said not to worry just to keep washing. My doc said to get a shot against tethanus (not even sure that s the name in english) and oral antibiotics just in case.

Freedom, you are totally right, the cat hid below the bed in no time and hasn't gone out much.

Thanks for offering your help !

Also.... no luck with the kittens yet..... I was advised to take them to a veterinarian... but I feel bad because the kittens haven't been spayed yet, so what if they all end on the streets again?

Been told I have done more than enough and spent much money on them, and I can't save all of them
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Takingcharge, so sorry you were attacked - first by the cats you're trying to help, then by the bf who's supposed to be your emotional support system! The betrayal, and the damage to your favorite dress, probably hurt about as much as the scratches themselves!

working with animals especially cats you have to learn to not take their actions personally. Cats are only partly domesticated, compared to dogs, and react as a wild animal much more readily than dogs do. That's what these cats did to you, not their fault or yours. The BF though - he's a human, he should know better. Some people just don't understand our compulsion to help lost animals.

It's true you can't save all of them. But, you can save THESE cats, and your help makes a world of difference to them.