Love is Letting Go of Fear

Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love is Letting Go of Fear

That's the title of a book I happened to glance at in Barnes & Noble this morning.

I really needed that message, and there it was, so I thought I'd share. My interaction with myself and my AH is very often based on fear--fear of what he is doing to himself, fear of my being "wrong", fear of his behavior when he's drinking; fear of his behavior when he's dry, fear of how he/we are affecting our adult children. Mostly I am very fearful that his body will get sicker and sicker.

But Byron Katie is teaching me that I should simply look at that fear, and look at the reality. Today he is functioning. He is working. He awoke well-rested. He has not complained of feeling sick at all.

So why am I fearful of a reality that doesn't exist?? If I did one of her "turnarounds" I would have to really investigate my thought "I'm fearful that he is going to get sicker." So, "I'm fearful that I am going to get sicker"? Sick at heart if he dies from alcohol or cigars, or both? Or maybe I'm fearful that I'm going to get sicker as opposed to well. Only I can manifest wellness in myself. I can't manifest wellness in him.

But if I choose to love purely, I can love him today, as he is. I can let go of that fear that's in my head, and in doing so, love me too.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

read books by Marianne Williamson and you will learn about this in depth
Or read a Course In Miracles.

These books will change your life
Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Love is letting go of fear to feel fear!
GREAT POST! I loved it.
I would love to read those books. Thanks for motivating me to read them.
I believe it also has to do with living in the now! not in the past or the future.

I loved those 'turnarounds'.. .yes.. definitely getting myself a copy !
Funny when we turn inward things get their beautiful colors back.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
Love is letting go of fear to feel fear!
GREAT POST! I loved it.
I would love to read those books. Thanks for motivating me to read them.
I believe it also has to do with living in the now! not in the past or the future.

I loved those 'turnarounds'.. .yes.. definitely getting myself a copy !
Funny when we turn inward things get their beautiful colors back.
Then a "Return to Love" from Marriane is the book for you.

The entire section on relationships is a true eye opener. I gave it to my therapis to read and from that alone, we work on my program in a much different way.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really need to suggest those of us dealing with an addict read this book. I promise it will change your way of thinking

We should start a SR book club and talk about these books. I would LOVE that!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

FDR said "You have nothing to fear, but, fear itself"

I concur.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just to eliminate any confusion: the author of Love is Letting Go of Fear is Gerald Jampolsky and Hugh Prather... apparently it's an application of a Course In Miracles.

Byron Katie's books that I am reading, which I totally recommend, are Loving What is and A Thousand Names for Joy. For those who don't know, her books are based on her self-inquiry method, which she calls The Work. The Work is essentially 4 questions about the judgements you make about anything--work, relationships, health, your own self-criticism--anything at all. It completely deconstructs beliefs and concepts we hold dear and defuses the suffering that's attached to those beliefs.

Summerpeach, I actually have A Return to Love on my nightstand! I haven't read it in a while, but I read it AFTER reading a good bit of A Course in Miracles (boy, that book is DENSE--thank God for Marianne Williamson, who has made the principles easy to digest and apply). I agree--those books are life-altering. They deserve a re-read, so thank you for reminding me to do that.

At this point in time, Byron Katie is speaking to me because of my calling at this point to stay rooted in the present moment and capture the joy in that. Certainly ACIM accomplishes this as well, but I feel I really need the rigor that Byron Katie demands in terms of examining each of my judgements and beliefs.

I, too, would love a book club along the lines of Marianne Williamson, Ekhart Tolle, Byron Katie, etc.!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
Just to eliminate any confusion: the author of Love is Letting Go of Fear is Gerald Jampolsky and Hugh Prather... apparently it's an application of a Course In Miracles.

Byron Katie's books that I am reading, which I totally recommend, are Loving What is and A Thousand Names for Joy. For those who don't know, her books are based on her self-inquiry method, which she calls The Work. The Work is essentially 4 questions about the judgements you make about anything--work, relationships, health, your own self-criticism--anything at all. It completely deconstructs beliefs and concepts we hold dear and defuses the suffering that's attached to those beliefs.

Summerpeach, I actually have A Return to Love on my nightstand! I haven't read it in a while, but I read it AFTER reading a good bit of A Course in Miracles (boy, that book is DENSE--thank God for Marianne Williamson, who has made the principles easy to digest and apply). I agree--those books are life-altering. They deserve a re-read, so thank you for reminding me to do that.

At this point in time, Byron Katie is speaking to me because of my calling at this point to stay rooted in the present moment and capture the joy in that. Certainly ACIM accomplishes this as well, but I feel I really need the rigor that Byron Katie demands in terms of examining each of my judgements and beliefs.

I, too, would love a book club along the lines of Marianne Williamson, Ekhart Tolle, Byron Katie, etc.!
excellent, you're speaking my language :-)

reading these books and seeing a different perspective truly helps with the anger/pain and does help with peace.

And you're right, Marianne does a good job at deciphering Course in Miracles.