Don't Get It

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't Get It

I had a realization today that the court system and the people that represent the A's do not get it. My A went to court today to finalize his DUI case and I could not believe that the lawyers advise was to remember "When you drink just do not Drive".

:wtf2
Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exactly Anvil and that is why we keep having repeat offenders. I am doing OK. It is his BS and he can deal with it. I am grateful he is off the road but the whole system just pisses me off!! OK are u ready for my venting???

The nerve of her "Just do not drive when u drink". I think if you are going to be a DUI Lawyer then you need to educate yourself. Your clients are most likely people with an addiction to alcohol and telling them to not drive when they drink is pure BS. I know it is up to the A to want to get sober and change their lives BUT we all know how that goes. Something needs to change in the legal system regarding this issue. I say mandate the car starters that register alcohol levels. That was not even mentioned in this case and I thought for sure it would be brought up. I think the courts are more interested in getting their huge fees paid then stopping the insanity of drunk driving.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The night my XA got in a car accident while drinking and driving (thank god no one was hurt or involved)...he side swiped parked cars, the cops let him walk away....I don't even think he got a ticket.
Makes those commercials where the state tries to make it come across as if there is no tolerance for drinking and driving look like complete BS.
Looking back, I wish they had hauled him off to jail. Not that it would have really made a difference, and I would have been stupid enough to bail him out at the time.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I live in SC and we have a very high DUI rate. The past few years the state has been cracking down harder on offenders but not hard enough.

Regarding your statement above...I think it is the legislative body that has to make laws about DUIs and drinking. The courts just enforce laws and punish offenders. The DUI lawyers probably see it everyday, so they are desensitized. Wait until a loved one gets harmed by someone driving under the influence and that person might change their tune.

I agree that DUIs need to be reprimanded more seriously. Don't know what the answer is, but the status quo ain't cutting it.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Young lass high on some drug, hit a bunch of folks on a footpath, and 3 people were killed. She got 5 years, served 2.

Too many other cases to mention, but if I ever want to murder someone, it will be by me driving a car, because I will only get a quarter of the sentence, I would get for killing them with a knife, gun or my walking stick.

None of this makes sense to me, but I guess it proves that quite often "the law is an ass".

God bless
Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is unfortunate. I recall late ABF getting pulled over because he had too much to drink, in the middle of the night. The cop called him a cab, the cop called me to tell me he'd been pulled over and would be coming home in a cab. Yeah sure! The cop left, my late ABF rode around in the cab, paid the cab driver to drop him back off at his car and then he drove HOME...still tipsy. Pursuasive? Yep. Dangerous? Incredibly.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

My xabf had four DUI's. Court ordered rehab twice. Court ordered AA meetings. It took me leaving, destroying my life and the lives of my kids, for any of it to sink in for him. Otherwise, it was just anger he felt at the court system for it. I often wished they had court ordered him to take medicine that'd make him deathly ill if he drank beer while on the meds.

Every month they DRUG test him (even though they are fully aware he's there for alcohol, not drugs). He hands them his AA sheet, signed by his left hand, his right hand of the hand of a sibling that says yes, he went to this meeting on this day. He never actually went to one, and never got "called" on it. I wonder why it didn't strike as odd that he had 30+ signatures all in the same pen with the same curves, crosses and dots.

I wish police systems were more advanced then they are. 3 or 4 DUI's is a felony case....IF they are within a certain time frame. All of xabf's were within that 10 year time frame. Unfortunately, they were in different counties so one didn't know about the other. So it was always a city or town issue, not a felony case.

Was the same for the guy last year convicted of vehicular manslaughter after ramming a woman into a building. Had just been released from court ordered rehab a week earlier. I believe it was his 12th DUI.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What does that wonderful speech Abe Lincoln say? Something about government by of, and for the people not disappearing? Hmmm, I wonder what his thoughts would be, to see how little the PEOPLE really seem to be listened to, by those elected to do the people's will?

From one stroppy Aussie colonial to the land that gave the world real freedom from tyranny.... at least for a length of time.

God bless
Old 05-12-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am very thankful that when my husband got his first DUI, almost a year ago, that he was finally to the point of realizing his problem. The officer that arrested him was not going to take him to jail, however, my husband requested to be taken to stay overnight. He told me that he had to have to total experience so he could see that this was not how he wanted to live. I pray everyday that this serves as a reminder to him to stay sober. However, I know as well as anyone else that this alone does not keep someone from relapse.
This may not be appropriate, if not, I apologize. However, is anyone a part of MADD- Mothers Against Drunk Driving? They are always having petitions for stronger, tougher DUI laws. - Mothers Against Drunk Driving - Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving
Old 05-12-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jadmack25 View Post
if I ever want to murder someone, it will be by me driving a car, because I will only get a quarter of the sentence, I would get for killing them with a knife, gun or my walking stick.
ha! good strategy, jadmack!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

My RAH always drank and drove, for several years now ever since his relapse. Last year, several times, I called the police when he drank and drove, and they would do absolutely nothing!!!!! Once, they brought him home after he hit a curb, drunk as a skunk. No arrests, nothing! Just "he's your problem now, don't let him out for the rest of the nite" to my son!

Fast forward to this year. We split up, he proceeds to get 3 dwi's in one week. Needless to say, he got jail time. He's out now, on probation for 3 years, working a program, in treatment, and so far so good. I take it one day at a time.

In any event, right now your A is getting a false sense of security. To tell an A, "just don't drink and drive" is like telling storm clouds not to rain! Trust me, it will happen when it's supposed to happen. Just let it go, it's out of your control.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been without a car now for 9 months because AW smashed it. She then drove her car and got a OUI. Cop told my sister she was passed out at dunkin donuts with a bottle of wine in her lap and the car running. She has the nerve to tell me that there was no open bottle and the judge was surprised she didn't go to trial because of lack of evidence. I believe she thinks I bought that fabrication. The state took away her drivers license for a year and fined her (really fined me as she doesn't work). When she is back here she has lost her driving privileges with my vehicle.