Ghost Stories!

Old 10-12-2003, 11:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Dinotar wants to know if he can call you Aunt Daffy.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:37 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
They call me Kim

I don’t know if this qualifies as a ghost story or not…but it certainly is a strange phenomena that I don’t share too often but I would like to here.

Some of you know that I had a lover a few years ago that took his own life.

There were two “incidents” that happened after his death that I’m going to tell you about.

I should preface the first with a short story:

Ted and I were watching the movie “Houdini” one night. Now Harry Houdini was fascinated by “the great beyond” and tinkered in trying to reach loved ones that have passed over.
After the death of his mother he dedicated a lot of his time involving himself in séances trying to contact her.
Time after time he was disappointed by the outcome. And had found out that he had been tricked on each and every occasion into believing that she had been contacted.
He later went on a crusade to expose the fraudulent mediums. The publicity he received by doing this was nothing short of fantastic.

One night while talking with his wife, they decided that if he were to pass that they would have a “secret word”. And if the medium were to say that particular word, then she would know that she had truly reached him.

I can’t remember for the life of me what their word was.

BUT….I do remember the word that Ted chose after the movie was over.

Our word was “pfaff”. Pfaff is a brand name for sewing machines and accessories. He didn’t like to sew….he just liked the word. Ted was such a goofball! I still love him so very much.

The next 24 hours after Ted’s death were pretty much of a blur. But on the second day I had to start contacting friends to let them know about his passing.

We had this friend Paul. Paul (like Ted) was a musician. He had frequently played one of the local clubs (Penn Brewery) and I knew he’d want to know about the arrangements etc. The police confiscated Ted’s telephone book and I didn’t have his home phone so I figured I’d call the club to find him.

I picked up the yellow pages and thumbed through nightclubs, taverns etc. but had no luck.

So I grabbed the white pages.

I set the book on the table and just randomly opened it to a page so I could start my search.

I almost fainted when I looked at the corner of the page and the name “Pfaff” was staring me right in the face.

I don’t have to go to a medium to know that Ted is always around.

I believe.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
They call me Kim

The second incident happened on my birthday following Ted’s death.

I always had a picture of Ted standing in a field in California on one of his vacations set as my wallpaper on my computer. A few seconds after Ted’s pic came up a pic of a beautiful butterfly would pop up next. (I just LOVE butterflies).

Well, the morning of my birthday I went over to the computer to turn it on then run and grab my tea before I checked email etc.

When I came back to the comp Ted’s picture was still up. I thought that was pretty odd since I didn’t have it set up that way.

I tried to change it back to the way it used to be all day but the computer wouldn’t let me.
His pic stayed on the comp as my wallpaper all day long.

The following day…….back to normal…..

Now that I look back on that day I believe that was his gift to me.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Those are wonderful stories, K. I'm kind of choked up.

After I send this shipment out, I'll come back and tell you about my Dad haunting his car... which I drive.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

K....How wonderful for you to have had these experiences; especially since they obvesiously (?) have bought you joy....

I am waiting to hear from you smoke.....Tell Dinatar Aunt Daffy will be back....There just was no way I'd come right back with mine after that beautful one of k....Later.....

besides Dear Dinotar.....it's still daylight out and I JUST can't get there from here till dark.......A. Daffy

Last edited by Daffodil; 10-14-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
They call me Kim

Thanks Guys....

I have wonderful memories of Ted now....

And c'mon Daff!!! I can't wait to see what you're gonna post next!

Hugz~

Kim
Old 10-14-2003, 05:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

okay... mine makes a good segway because it's about a passed on loved one, but it's still funny.

My Dad drove an '88 Lincoln. He passed away several years ago... and I got the car. I love it. People get out of your way and I can haul tons of stuff in it. Dad was a mechanic. Some of the best memories I have of him are when he was getting older and couldn't do much of the work on our cars any more. So he would tell me what to do while he watched. He got kind of a kick out of his daughter being a grease monkey. So we were bonded in the automobile dept. not only because I was driving his car, but because of the time we spent working on them together.

I'd been driving the car for almost a year when the horn started blowing all by itself. I could get it to stop by tapping it. One time my friend Donna was in the car with me, and it went off and scared her half to death. As a joke, I said "It's just Dad saying hi". The horn stopped and I didn't touch a thing. After that I would just say hi to Dad whenever it happened and it would stop. When it was happening with some frequency, it was always a precursor to finding something dangerous wrong with the car. I got in the habit of checking. The time it went off in the middle of the night and woke up all the neighbors, the tie rod broke the next day. Now over time... this kind of got annoying to other people. So I disabled the horn. Then he started in with the dome lights. But all I have to do to get them to turn off is say hi.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

smoke, Tell your Dad hi for us....we think an awfully lot of his grease monkey daughter.....Later, after dark, if my internet server doesn't go down again....

Bear with me Dinotar, I'll finish the story sooner or later
Old 10-14-2003, 06:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

After dark??? Oh... I see. You're on THAT side. Rats.

Tap... tap... tap....
Old 10-15-2003, 06:00 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
They call me Kim

Thanks for sharing that great story Smoke!

I find comfort in knowing they're around....

I'm glad you do to...

Hugz~

Kim
Old 10-15-2003, 10:51 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
mamasmitty

My father passed away about 10 years ago from complecations from Diabeties. About 6 months later, we took out mother out for dinner to a resteraunt we all as a family had been to on occasions like Birthdays and such, then back to my house for cake and icecream. We were all sitting around talking about how we missed dad and wished he was there with us when all of the sudden there was this flash of light. I thought someone was outside out fron window and had taken a picture or something. i turned to look, then all at once our celing fan started to rattle and the light blink on and of rapidly!!!!! And here is the creapy part.......The fan light had been broken for a year!!!!!! So I truly believe if was my dad saying hi to us all, and happy BD to my mom. My father liked pranks and it would be just like him. The day after he died we were all at my moms house and strange things went on, like lights going off, the garage door going up and down over and over again. A door slammed shut, (It was January, and no window was open!) So thats my "scarry" story!

Old 10-15-2003, 08:36 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Well, finally I am back on line Dinotar..........I hope the wait wasn't to long. Are your toes alright?

Seems to me that we had just finished getting me unstuck from the door and paint brush WHEN...

in walked the cat just as calm as can be....Now you'll remember that I'd told the whole story to "Himself" including why I had to let the cat out in the first place.....He looks at me and as sweet as can be suggests that I take two asprin and go to bed...

NOW Iam not buying any of that I know I heard a KNOCK on the living room floor and I am not going to go to bed until the basement is checked out including the small dark room at the end of the sunporch.....

you know there is just something unnerving about

knowing that there's a real human skull sitting on an old wood stove in a glass case ....so Himself proceeds to prove to me that there isn't some sort of funny business going on down there....skull or no skull.

Down the stairs we troop, Himself in front, me second , and the cat bringing up the rear. The light at the head of the stairs goes on quite nicely for the three of us, down at the bottom of the stairs is another light switch, click.....click....click....no light goes on! Oh my!

O.K., says he, nothing more than a bulb burned out. There's another light switch over by the door going out to the sunporch...

RIGHT! I AM GOING TO WALK CLEAR OVER THERE IN THE DARK.

WROOOOOONG!

Up the stairs I fly like a good little angel should fly and right in front of me is the cat, hair on end, yowling its head off....leaving prince charming down there in the dark yelling "Bring me a flashlight and a new light bulb."

Now being the codie that I WAS, I can't just leave him down there with no flashlight and needing a new light bulb now can I?

WEEEEL, I wanted to but he was getting just a bit touchly about now so I get the biggest flashlight I can find, a new light bulb and down the stairs I started creeping.......
one
step
at
time....

just as I reached the bottom of the stairs where I can almost reach Himself, we hear a YEP! you guessed it....

KNOCK!

Only now it's coming from just above our heads, my heart does the flip flop, futter, almost stop business. Himself yells, "Give me the light! Give me the light now!"....

But I am looking up and to my right

There
in
the
dark
are
two
big
shinning
yellow
eyes
stareing
right
at
me....

Now Dinotar, I do hope you will forgive my spelling, typing, and story telling but this is really hard work, re-living the past as any one in recovery can tell you....I guess it's especially hard since all this happened long ago before I even knew I needed recovery from anything but a possible heart attack....

It wasn't until smoke asked for some "true ghost stories" that it all came flooding back......It is just like yesterday in my mind and of course, now that I am in recovery I see where I made a lot of major mistakes even before that night happened.....You see

The very first mistake was insisting that we buy that house,
YES, I did.....so now all of this was going to end up my fault.....

Well, there we are with the two yellow eyes staring and blinking at us, me afraid to move,

Himself yelling, "THOW ME THE FLASHLIGHT!!!!"

NOW I was not, am not, A BASEBALL PLAYER, I DON'T EVEN WATCH IT ON T.V. (not even for the cubs)
so my throwing arm was not in condition and my aim was not what it should have, could have been in even a good situation.

I didn't appoalized for it then and I won't make amends for what happened now.....

I hit Himself square on the head with that big old heavy flashlight...

Out goes the flashlight!

Oh, the moaning and groaning, it was like nothing you've ever heard....

and

still

the

eyes

are

stareing

and

blinking

right

at

me!

KNOCK! Oh, darn it, Dinotar, now there's someone at my door, it's dark outside, no one should be out in this weather to begin with...Later.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

DON'T ANSWER THE DOOOOOOOR!!!!!!! I'M SCAAAAARED!!!!
(Poor himself's noggin.)

Mamasmitty that was a great story. I KNOW they can see us. I just know it.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:22 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Daff!!! Finish the darn story!!!

Okay, I thought I would tell you what happened to me the other day at work. It was kind of windy outside and I sit near a door at work. The way the wind was blowing it made it kind of sound like a ghost type noise.....sort of boo and squeak at the same time. I was kidding the girls and asking them if they could hear the ghost and they were laughing, when all of a sudden the power went off for just a couple seconds maybe a bit more but the funny thing is that it didn't power off any thing usually it would have made the computers shut off. The girls stopped laughing. It happened again when I heard the wind blowing again. Today I heard the ghost noise again but it wasn't even windy when I heard it. Kind of spooky
Old 10-16-2003, 06:25 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Very spooky Deb! OOOOH.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

The other night we were laying in bed watching TV and it suddenly turned itself off. We thought it had gone on the fritz, but the remote turned it back on just fine. Then afterwards our cat was acting really weird, following something in the room with his eyes that we couldn't see. Then he leapt off the bed and ran into the closet. My manly-man was saying it was just a fly (he was scared silly), but there was no fly in the room. And anyway - as I pointed out - a fly can't turn off the TV. It was creepy!

And after reading some more of this thread, I'm really hoping the power doesn't go out tonight as we're in the middle of a huge wind and rain storm and the lights are starting to flicker!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:49 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Eeeeeeeee! The Dinotar is all squinched down inside his new vampire cape. He says to say "fang you" to all the storytellers!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 07:13 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I don't know if you could call this a ghost story or not but it scared me then and it scares me to this day.

When I was really young we lived in this house and every morning something woke me up by either (I am scared that just writing this will make it happen again) tickling me or scratching me or poking me.....something like that but it was different every morning. I never truly saw it but for some reason the vision in my mind was of a joker looking fella, you know like a Jester with the hat with bent over points and bells.

We lived in this house for about 2 yrs. I never told anyone about these incidents because I never could be sure anything was really happening or I was just dreaming it. Like clock work though, it happened every morning. To this day I can't sleep with my arms behind my head and my feet have to be totally under the covers.

When we moved from this house, it stopped happening but I was too young to make that correlation.

Years later when I was well into my 20's I was having dinner with my family and they were talking about our old house that we lived in when I was really young.

They started talking about all the freak things that would go on in that house and that they were certain it was HAUNTED.............

I tell you I got goosebumps and chills and I barely lost my breath and started hyper ventilating, that's how creepy it was to hear that.

I actually think I blocked out most of the stories they told about the house because it scared me so much but I do remember that they told me that every time they would leave the house.......

If they looked back at the house

There was someone standing in the window upstairs.......in the hallway window next to my bedroom.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:31 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

ooh.. ooh... ooh.... !!! Did they say what he looked like???? I mean, certainly they would have mentioned a hat with bells.

Wait! Find out if anyone named Chester lived there! (Jester. Chester.)

I have to go give the Dinotar a chocolate peanut butter chip cookie to calm him down.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Daff,

Your just as bad as the movies on t.v., get to the good part, and time for a commercial.

Well I have a few, so let me think where to begin. First of all, let me say I don't want to believe in ghosts or spirits, and I certainly don't want to see any, but I do seem to be a sensitive of some sort.

There is a restaurant in the town where I live. One day a friend of mine invited me to meet her there for lunch. It is a restaurant that was initially a house, I know most of you have seen those types of conversions. A very nice looking stucco, one story with a clay tiled roof, and a large brick patio.

We were having our lunch at a small table by a window, and I started getting a kind of odd feeling. The thought that came to my mind was that I was being watched by dead people. The feeling continued, and finally I mentioned it to my friend. "That's a really odd coincidence" she said to me, "because this used to be a mortuary parlor."

Now somebody told me that I just picked up on that because the building probably looked like a mortuary, but I don't think that was it. I don't think anyone would have thought that that house looked like it had formerly been a mortuary.

After my mother passed away, I used to wake up at night and although I never saw anyone, I could feel someone sitting at the end of my bed. I just assumed that this was my mom checking up on me.

The most disturbing one to me though was when my best friend was dying. He was gay, but women just loved him. He had a way of flirting with women to get attention, and he loved it. I know he loved me too. He had AIDS for several years, and finally became so ill he had to be hospitalized. Because it seemed hopeless it was decided to stop all treatment, and let the illness run it's course. Within a week he had died. The day he died, I was with my boyfriend. We had taken his mother out for dinner, because it was mother's day. After dinner we had gone back to his appartment to watch a video. All of a sudden I felt as though someone had tapped me on my left shoulder, and I knew immediately that he had passed. I excused myself and went up to the hospital. Naturally being curious, I asked the time of death, since I had looked at the clock when I felt the touch. Of course it was the same time. The other thing that I felt would be just in-line with his personality was him dying on Mothers Day. Even though it's not the same date every year, I know every Mothers Day they are quite a few women thinking of him with a tear in their eye. LOL

The spookier things came later, in dreams more or less. Sometimes I would be in one of those kind of half sleeps, you know where you think you haven't really fallen asleep yet. I would hear the phone ring and get up to answer it. It would be my friend on the other end of the line, but it would always be a bad connection. Alot of static, very difficult to hear. I would always come out of these dream states feeling very strange, and sometimes ill or naseous. But I remember that one time I was able to ask him if he was happy, and he said yes. It's been about ten years now, and I haven't dreamed of him in a long time. I still miss him, but I know he is happy.

Juls