I got a gift from HP:

Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got a gift from HP:

Sole. Custody. By. Default.

(Can we do the dance of joy?? "Dai dai dai dai dai")

Man was it ever a stressful day! I sat in the audience room, praying with all my might for HP to give me the serenity and courage I needed to get through, even if AH showed up all lawyered up and ready for a fight. It was *really* complicated though and I don't see AH figuring all this stuff out without representation. Heck, I almost got lost in there...initially, we got transfered to another room because after the court roaster was read, AH was paged and never showed, so we were proceeding by default. When we got to the other audience room, I had to go on the stand where I initially sat instead of standing (oops!). I almost peed my pants while I was asked some basic questions about DD and my separation. Then, the judge wanted DD's birth certificate which neither my lawyer or I had, as well as the draft judgment already written out so she could sign off and get this whole thing wrapped up...This judge was efficient! I had expected to have to return to the court house at a later date to finalize everything, but she said that if AH didn't show up to represent his interests, then there was no use dragging all this custody and divorce stuff out anyhow!. So I had to rush back home from the courthouse to fetch DD's birth certificate and rush back while my lawyer went someplace to draft a judgment project...and, about an hour later, FINALLY it was all presented before the judge who granted me sole custody by default and gave me the right to go after child support.

YAY!!

AH still gets the visitation he currently has, which is Sundays from 12 to 3:30, but if he wants anything else, he has to petition the court for it, which I seriously doubt he'll do. I also have the ability to make all the decisions regarding DD's school and medical care without his consent, and if I want to travel, I do not require his permission to do so.

Also, because we proceeded by default, the appeal delay for my divorce will be sooner. By May 31st, he'll have lost the ability to apppeal the divorce (though I don't think he cares either way). I'll obtain the final judgment by the end of August, right in time for my birthday.

Regarding CS, I either have to snoop around myself to see if AH is still working at the same job, and if not, I have to hire a firm to figure out where he does work right now (I have his SIN). From there, my lawyer will subpoena his employer and CS will be deducted at the source. Then, I assume there will be another small nuclear phenomenon, but it might also force AH to move back to his home province to escape the Evil Quebec Government's automagic CS deductions
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, that's just AWESOME!

L
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rock on, noday! That is awesome news!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
today4me

One, two....steps forward. HP is guiding you, just keep following!

Was wondering yesterday too what happened, but did not worry.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy......:ghug3
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay!!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is just great news! I am so happy for you
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go, noday. What a relief.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hooray! Does Canada not have a Child Support Enforcement Agency? They just Big Brothered my X real quick to figure out where he works. It took them like 4 seconds.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The Quebec government is the agency that takes care of automatically deducting child support from parents' wages...as for finding out where he works, I think I just did. I called his old job and found him in the employee directory. I'm going to have someone random call him to verify that he still actually works there and then we'll subpoena his employer.

I *almost* feel bad for him...then I remember everything he ever did to me and I don't anymore.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yay! I'm so happy for you, Noday!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

nodaybut2day... I'm thrilled for the outcome!

I just have to say this lil bit... yes a gift from HP... but you did your part too and for that I'm so... so... happy for you.... you took care of you and your DD.

Congrats :day6
Old 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's awesome. I have tears in my eyes I'm so happy for you.

All that worry for naught... as long as we stand firm and make WISE choices we will prevail.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I couldn't sit still reading the update!!!!

His inaction speaks volumes. If you ever question your victory in this, you remember that he couldn't even show up...that's how much he cared.

Good for you for following through with all of this and holding your head high. You are doing what is right for your DD and you can't get lost on that path.

Best to you, you've earned it!!!!

Alice
Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

:
Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fabulous news, nodaybut2day! well deserved also. you've fought a valiant battle and i'm delighted at the result of all of your hard work and courage. hip hip hooray!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I totally agree with Hammerhead. You did everything you could and left the rest to HP. I want to be like you when I grow up!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

YIPPEE NDB2D!!!! What an amazingly wonderful day for you, and for you DD's and your future! The long term ramifications of this are awesome!!! YIPPEE again!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Guess he has been downgraded from a quacker to no show "tweet".
When he starts with the smart comments and big man talk in future, tell him to "tell it to the judge".

Yep, all that cr*p about him and access to dd, taking home from you, etc has turned out just blah blah blah, from the gutless one.

All the best for the next few weeks til divorce is done.

God bless