Harm Reduction

Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Harm Reduction

EXABF told me that he's seeing a new therapist.
This therapist asked him if he would try Harm Reduction, and then asked him if he could drink 2 beers a night and stop, he said yes he'd be able to stop and she said "So why deny yourself that pleasure?"
(To my knowledge, he has not done so, but what the hell do I know!)

When I first heard this I thought "WTF, she's giving him a permission slip to drink!"
But maybe I do not understand what it is that she's, infact, saying to him.

I tried to read a bit online, but none of it is making sense. Can anyone here explain it to me in the most basic form? LOL

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand it the same way Anvil does. Also, the way I see it, it's kind of like a last resort. For people who refuse to give up their addiction no matter what.

L
Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

My understanding is that "harm reduction" is a term that the recovery/treatment industry uses to measure outcomes. Theoretically if a person gets in fewer fights as a result of treatment; that is harm reduction. The thought is that that outcome has a net societal benefit eventhough the individual is still relatively screwed up. The two drink question is a common test for alcoholic drinkers. If you can stop after two and not feel the urge to drink more, alcohol is likely not a(the) problem. Sounds like the counselor knowes he stuff from the limited info you gave us. Knowlege is power, learn all you can about treatment methodologies, the best way to help is call your alkie on his bs. I don't think the counselor was giving liscense to drink to abandon. A year ago my mind would have thought about the great buzz two long island ice teas would give me. To me there is a disconnect between the 2 drinks and actual "harm management". Your alkie may be confused or just rationalizing continued use. Maybe suggest you guys go out together and have just two drinks to see what happens.... My hunch is it's not just two; hope im wrong.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, I've read somewhere that people suggest going into a pub/bar and having a coca cola, no alcohol. Then leave. Do it multiple times and the idea of going into a bar and not associating it with drinking becomes second nature. I suppose that works for someone where it is only a habit and not a problem per se. The things is, a lot of these people who are addicted drink alone and/or at home and not even in a social setting. Myself, I have only drank socially - if I'm at a pub with friends or at a dinner party. I can't fathom cracking open a beer at home alone. When I'm at home alone the absolute last thing I want is to drink.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My understanding is that Harm Reduction is a social solution, not an individual solution.

It benefits society by reducing the health, crime, and other related costs of addiction but individual recovery is not the goal.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's correct. Take away the substance and the underlying problems are still there, as we all know.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I don't know anything about it but I've never heard of drinking alcohol as a way to stop drinking alcohol.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Harm reduction isn't about stopping. The whole idea is that people are assisted to use in a manner that reduces the cost, or harm, to society.

A ten cent needle and syringe costs society less then hepatitis C for example.

Heroin maintenance program reduces crime, overdose, disease. That is the line of thinking. Of course, the heroine addict is still a disaster.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

If he is really intent on wanting to continue drinking and think he can moderate the MM or Moderation Management might be something for him to look into. As opposed to harm reduction there is a strict plan and moderation limits one is "supposed" to adhere to. I am not an advocate. I think abstinence is the easier softer way for anyone that has ever had anything approaching serious problem or consequences from alcohol. I am not abstinent because I am a saint or tough or hard core. I am abstinent because it is easier than drinking is for me. Many people that have tried MM eventually find they need abstinence and there is even a branch of MM for abstinence.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like threat reduction is for the codependent not the alcoholic. An alcoholic cannot drink ANY alcohol and hope to improve. It is all or nothing. The long term sober alcoholics cannot even drink O'douls. They will even quote you how much alcohol is in one to let you know there is some in there. Another professional should be sought. One that knows something about treating alcoholics.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

L2L and Joe; agree w you guys. As best I can figure the two drink "thing" as a test works if the drinker is unsure of/ indenial about their problem. If approached with an open mind by the drinker it has the ability to break.down some nasty rationalization. It could be used for the social or solitary drinker. I was both, never tried it. A couple arrests made me wake up. If the two drink test done alone or at a bar helps someone get in touch with their issues to the extent they take positive action; seems preferable to getting arrested, DUI etc. The waking up the addict part in this sense seem to tie into the general societal goal of "harm reduction. I think every ones use patterns are different and the two drink test can have a positive effect for some individuals.