I can't believe I want to check in on him

Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't believe I want to check in on him

I'm totally fighting the urge to look at his FB. I have no idea how he's doing. Is he drinking? Is he sober? You know why? It turns out, I think I am still hanging on to some hope that things will work out somehow. That he'll get sober and be the great guy he used to be. That must be it right? That must be why I want to look. I miss him. I love him. I wish things could have worked out. But they won't. They just won't.

This sucks. I'm not going to look. I'm not. I wish it was earlier in the day so you guys were up so you'd tell me NO NO NO, DON'T LOOK AT HIS FB WALL! So I just have to tell myself that, because you guys can't hold my hand all the time. I know better. I can't do it. I won't do it. I have to take a deep breath, go and clean the kitchen, and get to bed. I just need a good rest and I'll be fine in the morning.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

LOL!

I can't believe you do, either

but - how wonderful your post shows
that these feelings and inclinations ...

pass.
GOOD JOB!!!

And the third thing-
you came here and talked about it before doing something
you're sure to regret.

way to go!

:ghug3
Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Barb! You're always up for me!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its okay to be human.
Completely severing attachment...completely I mean, when we no longer give a **** take the healing passage of time.
I dunno how much time.. will let you know!!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Great post. Real honest! How are you feeling this morning?

Have you sorted out what your catalyst is for wanting to snoop?

For me, the practice of letting go decreases the urge to snoop on AH. The more I let go, the better I feel. I"ve had years of practicing snooping on my AH and that always, ALWAYS makes me feel worse.

I'm like a German Shepard and am only happy when I have "a job." So, when I turn that focus and scrutiny that I use to pin point onto AH, and refocus it onto myself, I can actually change the only thing I can change.

It turns out, I think I am still hanging on to some hope that things will work out somehow. That he'll get sober and be the great guy he used to be.
Take this hope for change and turn it on youself! Hang on to the hope that things will work out and you'll help yourself recover and become the woman you've always wanted to be! It's all about you Baby!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

KeepPedaling,
Today, ask yourself, "What was my trigger?" What did you do, see, feel, expose yourself to, etc. to cause yourself to be triggered to get back involved with your drug of choice? Once you identify each of your triggers, you can then avoid them in the first place, which is much easier than fighting the urge once you've triggered it. Take care.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
today4me

I gave in everyone and looked at her myspace last night. It had been a week! I now I have pit in my gut and it feels like all my prayers and progress are swept away. She stated "Back from paradise". Just hurt me badly.

So confused with my prayers and direction right now.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tpen -

I totally get how that feels, that bottomless empty gut wrenching feeling from looking. Ugh.
And now that you have seen it, and touched the hot stove again (i've been there)... I think your direction is pretty clear....

...it's in the OPPOSITE direction of her.

You will do what you like though until you are really finished. We all repeat it until we learn our lesson.
Hope your day brings you peace and calm!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i feel exactly the same but im acting on it.Exabf was on facebook all weekend right up untill sunday and since then he hasnt been on at all,my mind is doing overtime constantly thinking what he is doing where he is.I know that no matter what he has got to be in from 7 at night till 7 in the morn as he is on tag for smashing my windows!! (and i still want to know what he is up to) Hopefully it passes,im sure as time goes on it will!! Sorry i couldnt give you an answer to your problem and if i could i would. Take care atleast your not acting on your impulse. xx
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We are slow learners. We also quickly and easily forget what we learn. We will keep putting our hands back on the hot stove over and over. Try to look for the lesson each time you do. Bring it forward in your consciousness.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
today4me

Why, why, and why. Why does she jump right into another relationship/fling? She said she was going to work on herself so she could be a better parent. Why does she even use myspace? Is she trying to get back at me?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter.... she's living her life the way she wants to.

Sometimes it's not about you, it's not about any of us, it's about them and only what they want.

You're obsessing over questions that do not pertain to what will make YOUR life better. She is moving on it seems. You have to accept that, work on yourself and move on to, and look at the blessings that come with fact she has moved on.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
today4me

argggggggggggggg.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I keep remembering "fake it 'til you make it". I'm living my life "as if" it's JUST FOR ME and it's working. I've been moving forward AS IF I can do this, and it's working. Not always easy, but it helps.

KP, love the honesty and the progress, and that you reached out. Inspiring reminder! You're doing great.

tpen and celtic, I've gone from worrying about what exA is doing to being more concerned about the pain I cause for myself when I "check". I don't want to check anymore, it's too painful and that definitely keeps me away from FB. The curiosity is still there, but it doesn't outweigh the pain I know I'll feel if I check, and it takes DAYS for that pain to subside. Not worth it. I like what kitty said, you'll keep doing it until you don't need to anymore. You're getting there!

posie
Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh and KP - this is your thread... I meant to tell you that I give you mad kudos for coming here and venting!
I had always told myself that I would do that if I ever heard from XA again before I responded to him, and I didn't and I responded...and I regretted it!
I follow your lead my dear! WELL DONE!
And morning is always better
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tpen View Post
Why, why, and why. Why does she jump right into another relationship/fling? She said she was going to work on herself so she could be a better parent. Why does she even use myspace? Is she trying to get back at me?
No she's not trying to get back at you. What SHE does tpen, has NOTHING to do with YOU. Why does she jump right into another fling? Because she WANTS to. You already KNOW why she is on MySpace: For the same reason she was on MySpace BEFORE you split up. You are allowing your self-esteem to be dictated by someone else's actions. You must turn your focus to look withIN. It is hard, and it is painful, but it is what you need to do.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
today4me

Thanks everyone, this is KP's post. I'll post another topic maybe.....
Old 04-27-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

good job, kp!

i think it is much harder at night - we are lonely, and therefore, vulnerable. it is dark and quiet, fewer distractions...

as for the checking and the "great life" they're having was found out, i think i would try turning that around:
"he/she doesn't really have the life that a status update reflects! i know this; it is just one more indication that he/she is NOT the man/woman that i thought/wanted/needed him/her to be."

if i read "back from paradise" i think i would roll my eyes and say "yeah, sure, drinking like a fish, not taking responsibility, not being the best parent you can be..." just another indication of the huge disconnect.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tpen View Post
Tpen, quit hijacking my thread.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
KeepPedaling,
Today, ask yourself, "What was my trigger?" What did you do, see, feel, expose yourself to, etc. to cause yourself to be triggered to get back involved with your drug of choice? Once you identify each of your triggers, you can then avoid them in the first place, which is much easier than fighting the urge once you've triggered it. Take care.
I know what the trigger was. Good point. I don't think I can avoid the trigger forever though.