SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   My 11yo on why she's "Team Jacob" (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/199682-my-11yo-why-shes-team-jacob.html)

wanting 04-26-2010 11:43 AM

My 11yo on why she's "Team Jacob"

I thought my 11yo's insight into being "Team Jacob" was pretty great. (For those of you who don't know, it's a Twilight thing.)

I've always been "Team Edward," btw, because he's hawt.

She said that Jacob has never made Bella cry, he's always there for her, he makes her laugh, and the only time she was really happy was when Edward was gone and she spent time with Jacob. She said Edward abandoned Bella, made her cry, was too controlling, and doesn't make her laugh like Jacob does.

It's funny, because when we saw the movies, I was kind of disturbed at the message it sends to young girls about what a relationship is like. Love hurts, love is dangerous, etc. I did talk with my dd about this a bit, but not much, because I didn't want to turn something she enjoys into a lesson. I'm just amazed at the insight she has all on her own. She's just so much more grounded and wise than I ever was. I think I've always swooned over bad-boy types.

stella27 04-26-2010 12:08 PM

That is one wise 11 year old.:You_Rock_

Lilya 04-29-2010 06:52 PM

Mine is "Team Edward". I vote for "Team Jacob." :lmao

I so agree with you about the message in Twilight, love being painful and dangerous. Now my d wants to go to Hollywood and be an actress and play someone like Bella. Can´t wait for that phase to end...

I´m going to talk to her about these relationships. I´m glad I saw this post. You have a very healthy young girl.

:grouphug:

SomeoneSomwhere 04-29-2010 07:24 PM

Book wise I am team Edward. In the movies I like Jacob. Robert whathisface creeps me out. Taylor Lautner despite being like 5 years younger than me is really hot.

But that is cute & I get her logic 100 percent.

sesh 04-30-2010 12:26 PM

I have to check how my 11 yo D feels about it. I've been wondering lately how she feels a romantic relationship should be. Great idea to check where she stands.
Thanks

Lilya 04-30-2010 01:47 PM

I really find it worrying.

I asked my 12 year old who is the nicest guy in school.

To my disappointment, she chose a guy who is a trouble maker if I ever saw one. Takes one to know one. :) I asked her why and she said: "Because he´s like Edward. He is also " a player"."

I asked her if it wouldn´t be nice to hang out with a guy who is wholesome, trustworthy, hard working and loving.

"You mean, like a nerd? No way!"

I rest my case. Go team Jacob!

wanting 04-30-2010 04:11 PM

Dude, a vampire is a nerd. In Edward's case, a hot nerd, but still a nerd.

Lilya 04-30-2010 05:40 PM

Edward is a nerd! Great tip, thanks Wanting!:tyou

:)