O/T For Dog Owners

Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

O/T For Dog Owners

I"m hoping you can help me understand this. I may be missing something, but to me this is a no brainer.

I live in a city. We have parks. We have dog parks for dog owners to let their dogs off leash. The parks that are not dog parks posts signs that say, "leash your dog." Yet, every day that I walk my dogs in the park near my house, we are accosted by large breed dogs running loose through the park while their owners chat on the phone or do nothing and act like I have a problem when I ask them to leash or control their dogs.

I have Chihuahuas and I would NEVER let them run loose through a park jumping on people, yet numerous owners of large dog breeds think that's absolutely fine. It’s so arrogant. And rude. I’m tempted to carry and use pepper spray so I can have a choice about my boundaries, not to mention not getting all scratched up. Today a huge black lab jumped up on my 8 year old and knocked him down. The woman, who was jogging by, said, "Oh I'm so sorry!" How passive aggressive is that? She's not sorry, or she would leash her freaking dog! What jerks!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Can you report them? I mean, if a lot of people are doing it and they get enough complaints, they might post an officer there for a few days to warn people or possibly ticket them. I can imagine how frustrating that is. I was thinking of carrying a squirt bottle filled with water might be better than the pepper spray. Less chance of an outraged dog owner coming after you.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Well there's a sane answer. Thank you Suki. Water bottle now stored with leashes and little poop bags. All though I am an enraged mother with an injured child now from the dogs knocking the wind out of him.

I don't know how they would police miles of trails through the woods though..
Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, they wouldn't necessarily have to patrol the entire path. If it's happening often enough, they should be able to see it by spending some time at different parts of the area. It certainly won't hurt to report it and tell them that little children are being accosted by large unleashed dogs.

Also, if the water alone doesn't work, you might try adding some lemon or lime juice so it would sting if it gets in the dog's eyes, but wouldn't cause any permanent damage.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

You're right. I'll make a call and ask what they can do. I guess I don't need to figure out HOW they're going to do it, just ask for it.

that's one of my problems. I want to figure everything out..
Old 04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

that's one of my problems. I want to figure everything out..

Not a problem. My daughter is the same way. Drives me straight up a wall.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

There was a president down here that said "respect of the other person's rights is peace'.

You'll feel better after reporting it. I am always afraid of huge dogs and I get a french poodle being unleashed -and even that may be troublesome- but a huge dog?? like a coworker that has a huge mastin I think its called, well a LARGE agressive brand and wants to adopt two of my kittens!!! she will get them.. NOT!

There are also dogs in my apartment complex that start following boyfriend and barking a lot to him lol... even want to get in our apartment!! yeah right. Let's invite a foreign dog to bark to us in our own house. LOL.... and of course the owner is having tea as relaxed as ever. I often hear how their dogs fight...which could be EASILY avoided? but by now I lost hope in most of human race

Sorry I just complained in this post, LOL.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

My daughter is the same way.
By that do you mean she wants to know HOW something is going to work before she's convinced it can work?

I've been working on this. I don't need to have all the answers. I think I'm a control freak ( what a surprise) but it does make me a good journalist. What does your daughter do for a living? Attorney is a good one too, for folks like us.

Sorry she drives you up a wall..I have a child like that..
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I appreciate it TC. Complain away!~
Old 04-21-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Ok your dogs are adorable and hilarious! Bucky seems to take the squashing quite well. And Della looks like a big squishy lover to me. My son has a ginormous pit bull that I LOVE, but he doesn't let him run crazy through the woods.

Thanks for the suggestion. And here's the interesting bit. I am perfectly happy complaining and judging others about this situation, but for some reason the thought of lodging a complaint scares me.

Now, I think it's not even so much codie stuff, but the fact that with my PTSD I have made an idiot of myself so many times making a mountain out of a molehill. And other cliches. Yet here's a valid complaint that I mistrust my right to feel this way about.

Wish I could turn off my brain.. Maybe Della could squash me real well. Bet that would work.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This happens at the park by my house and I own a temperamental Corgi who thinks ALL dogs, regardless of size, are after him to kill him when he is on his leash and they are not on their leashes, so he actually tries to ATTACK them and because of that, Cooper has caused a lot of drama and fighting in our park but it is a park where the dogs are SUPPOSE to be on leashes so I don't feel at all bad about Cooper trying to protect himself since he is attached to a 4 foot piece of fabric and has nowhere to go like these other dogs... He was attacked by 2 dogs when he was a puppy because they were mean, not fixed and off of their leash with the owner about a block away taking her sweet a$$ time.

I would for sure report it. I did and I have seen officers in my park on SEVERAL occasions and it is a large area to cover as well! It made me feel better
Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh and Bucky and Della are SO cute!!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mishaco1 View Post
This happens at the park by my house and I own a temperamental Corgi who thinks ALL dogs, regardless of size, are after him to kill him when he is on his leash and they are not on their leashes, so he actually tries to ATTACK them and because of that
I have the exact same problem with my dog. She is sweet and well-mannered around other dogs, as long as they are also on a leash. I think she feels vulnerable because she is 'restricted' and the other dog isn't. Anyway, it ticks me off when people let their dogs off leash in an area where leashes are clearly required. Then they give me dirty looks cause my dog snaps at theirs. Sheesh!

Yes, Transform, you are completely justified in submitting a complaint to the proper authorities.

L
Old 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wish I could turn off my brain.. Maybe Della could squash me real well. Bet that would work.
Transform,
I think this is a fabulous idea! What else could you be thinking about with Della sitting on top of you? Now, we just gotta get Della away from anvilhead. <shhhhh>

As if, Anvilhead, I am sure no one could pry that dog out of your hands!

I have a miniature dachshund and she considers all dogs a threat. She goes crazy barking and pulling on the leash, all ten pounds of her! She also seems to like to get the last bark in too, tossing one over her shoulder when the other one stops.

And yes, I agree Transform, if a dog knocked over one of my kids, I am not sure how I would react, especially if I were scared and angry.
Please report the problem. It is the best thing to do in these circumstances. You know, there are probably lots of others who are bothered by it, but don't do anything and that is why it is such a problem.

Beth
Old 04-21-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

If your town has a leash law (and I guarantee it does), that leash law still applies at the park. "Dog park" does not mean ordinance/law free. It just means pets are welcome in the area. Call your local animal control. Chances are they will simply put something in the newspaper, on tv/radio or even post a sign at the entrance (pets welcome but must be leashed).
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have two dogs I find entirely perfect. To me their perfect. To others they are barking idiots who will jump on people, lick them soggy, and then get into a rampaging fight with each other over who is getting the most attention. Thoroughly embarrassing. I keep them leashed and I keep a very tight rein on them both. I also have no regret about popping a muzzle on either of them if I feel it's warranted.

It is difficult for people to grasp that their loveable dogs may not appear so loveable to others. Sometimes you have no choice but to report an owner who is not keeping their pack from running amock.

I also have a fear of big dogs I don't know well so I agree entirely that your park should be reported. The rules are for everybody and are there for a reason.

I will add, though, that I am far more forgiving of unruly (as opposed to vicious) pet than I am of unruly children. Because I'm a pet lover. Not everyone likes big bouncy beasts and not everyone likes children either.

If I had the opportunity to report parents who don't keep their sticky, pinching, screaming, and shelf-destroying children under control in WalMart, I would sure as heck report them. Especially if I had the opportunity to do so anonymously. I'm sneaky like that.

But I digress....a public park can be a wild enough place for a youngster without being flattended by a roague lab. I am so sorry your young one was hurt and frightened.

Aside from reporting the incident and avoiding the loose dogs, maybe renting a DVD of someone such as Caesar Milan on being a pack leader around dogs and watching it with your son might help him understand dog behavior for when he encounters them in the park. He can learn how to spot a happy and curious dog over a scared or angry one. He might feel less afraid and more confident when he's at the park. Knowledge is power at any age.

Alice
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

It is difficult for people to grasp that their loveable dogs may not appear so loveable to others.
Thanks Alice! This is what I was hoping for, someone to explain to me wtf these people are thinking.
If I had the opportunity to report parents who don't keep their sticky, pinching, screaming, and shelf-destroying children under control in WalMart, I would sure as heck report them.
Me too.

maybe renting a DVD of someone such as Caesar Milan on being a pack leader around dogs
We've done this cause we have dogs, even if the three of them only total 15 pounds, they are still dogs. And Caesar is amazing.

Knowledge is power. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
...and as you can see my poor couch has seen better days!
Mine too!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I was thinking Anvils couch is probably one of the happiest in town. Their purpose in life is to be sat on, and that is happening in the nicest way.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
I
If I had the opportunity to report parents who don't keep their sticky, pinching, screaming, and shelf-destroying children under control in WalMart, I would sure as heck report them. Especially if I had the opportunity to do so anonymously. I'm sneaky like that.

Alice

Oh... And my dog is pretty damn embarrassing too. But he's mine and I wouldn't want any other!