O/T For Dog Owners

Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Awwwww, I want a dog! I've wanted a dog for a long time but it has warmed my heart to read these posts and increased the zest for adopting one! I lost my beloved Doberman a year and a half ago, broke my heart to pieces. And despite the breed's reputation she was the most amazing, gentle, loving pup ever...which is actually the temperament of most of them despite how they're portrayed in the media, etc. Anvil, is Bucky a Dobe?

Thanks for the doggy-love smiles this morning, everyone. And transform, I'd report irresponsible dog walking in a heartbeat, and have my 8 year old be a part of the process if I could, to feel the empowerment of taking a stance.

Here's to better walks in the woods,
posie
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm just uncovering a new leaf of non confrontationalism, (is that even a word?) But maybe it would just be easier to go to a different park.

Unless it happens at every park.

Then you just need to get yourself a doberman.

That'll keep those other goofy dogs at bay.

Yeah, a nice big doberman.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I haven't lived in the states for 23 years, but everytime I go back home I am disappointed with the treatment of animals in the US. When I was growing up in my hometown in the US, it was hearbreaking to see so many animals run over by cars.

Thankfully, in my home town, that picture has fortunately changed for the better in the last few years, and I haven't seen strays wandering the streets like I used to as a child. But I still see far too many people acquiring pets, locking them up in a yard, never walking them and ignoring them. And, when they take them out, they take out essentially untrained dogs that jump or harrass other people and dogs.

Thank God for the "dog whisperer" show!

My challenge in recovery is to constantly battle my own resentment and anger and come up with an "amend" situation. Right thinking, right action.

Just a thought off the top of my head: print out your own sign in which you kindly and diplomatically remind people of the laws and how unleashed dogs create problems: describe the problems. Make a kind and diplomatic request for all dog owners to respect the law and leash their dogs. Sign it as a friendly dog-loving neighbor and....wait until nightfall to post several of these signs around the park!
wear sunglasses!

The thing is: these people are just ignorant and unaware. People who don't have kids can't imagine the trauma of a large dog knocking over a child. Lots of dog-owners acquire dogs for all the wrong reasons: ego, greed (for a cute and cuddly object), self gratification, prestige, (my dog is cool, so therefore am I) and machoism, (my pit bull will kill you because I am a tough guy).....blah, blah.

Then everything goes kerplooey when the reality of the pet's behavior asserts itself. Little signs around the park would be a good education, and will get people talking. I am sure you are not the only one with this complaint!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

These are all great suggestions! I would respond, one by one, but I"m freaking exhausted. But I will. Oh, you know I will..
Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
These are all great suggestions! I would respond, one by one, but I"m freaking exhausted. But I will. Oh, you know I will..
:rotfxko
Yes, I know you will!