Hope???

Old 10-05-2003, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Hope???

My fiance is an alcoholic. I am tired and lonely and at the end of my strength. I need help.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome!

Have you read the posts at the top of the forum? There is a lot of good information there to help you.

Al Anon is worldwide...have you tried meetings? If not I highly suggest that you do.

The thing about living with an alcoholic is that we get drawn down into there problems and end up living crisis to crisis. Our happiness comes from the outside instead of where it belongs.

Make yourself at home,
JT
Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Terri

Loving an alcoholic can drain you emotionally. I'm sorry that you are feeling so out of strength right now. Since he is the only one who can help himself, you need to focus on getting help for you. Are there meetings in your area that you can go to? Do you have supportive friends and/or family around? Sometimes, the love and support of others can go a long way to making things better. I will say a prayer for you.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 10-05-2003, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DON'T GET MARRIED!! I just threw out my fiance last week. After two years together I just couldn't take it any more. I was sitting here earlier wondering if he was always this bad or if he got worse since we got together or if he just hid most of it really, really well.

I'm not saying throw him out now, I am just advising you not to take the final step when you know there's a big black space in front of you. What stopped me from marrying him was knowing that I would be walking down the aisle wondering if he smelled like booze at the other end. Not exactly how I always pictured my wedding march.

You can't talk to friends and family because you know what they would say and you feel stupid that you're still in it, right? And my real name is Terry. lol. Maybe we're cursed. For now, I recommend that you take proactive steps. Call and get a meeting list of Al-Anon meetings, even if you don't go. For some reason, having it there will give you strength. I also read "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie.

After I threw him out I found my old meeting list of Al-Anon. It was dated May 2002. I thought 'well, they sent me an outdated one' since I knew I had it for a while but it couldn't have been that long! Well, the postmark on the envelope was July 2002. God, where the hell have I been for the last year? I can't believe I was thinking that seriously he had a problem a year ago and it took me an entire year to throw him out.

Enough rambling for now, I think you get the picture. You aren't alone.