Courage to Change; Page 37

Old 04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JenT1968 View Post
I'm not a great fan of courage to change, partly its the format, I don't get on well with the "thought for the day" snippits. Similarly, I don't like melody beattie's language of letting go, though I loved Codep. no more.

perhaps I need my help spelled out to me and elaborated upon!

But I also get a kind of 1950's vibe from it sometimes.
There are some pages that are old school for sure, those pages I skip, others I say "oh yeah"
I love page 66, which I don't have time to type up now.
Basically it says "We cannot expect others to know what we're thinking"

I get ticked when I think others should know how I feel, and they don't cause well, I'm not the center of their universe. And well, that just pisses me off ;-)
Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Hmm. I spent a good lot of time (years), energy, etc. trying to change him and change our situation. In the end I was mostly trying to change me to be OK with the situation, to work and live around it. To let it go without really going. To find some sort of peace with detachment. I did not even have words for that at the time because I had not gone to alanon or read anything.
This is a good point, because I'm a true believer in finding those who can heal our cracks.
What better way to heal than to be faced with all the pain of being with an addict.

We don't realize it, and it's sort of a taboo to say it on any recovery outlet, but we do change people, whether we know it or not. Everyone changes everyone. It may not be the way we want them to change, but we all work off of each others energies.
The change may not even be for the best, but it's change.

I type this and think "Goodness, we human are too complicated"...haha