Useless people

Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love Carl Rogers too.

And useless has always been a very personal term to me.....I've had to learn to add "to me" to a lot of things LOL

TIVO to me is perfectly useless. Why? Because I hardly ever watch TV, and don't find it as compelling as real life. Why would I invest my hard-earned resources in a system that will help me to collect TV programs? With or without commercials? Useless - TO ME.

But for my friend Emily, who goes stark staring mad every day teaching kindergartners, a great part of her day is sitting with popcorn, serenely watching Grey's Anatomy - current or past shows. TIVO is a crucial part of her winding-down at the end of the day. Very useful to her.

When I continue to invest my personal resources (time, money, peace of mind, stability) in something that brings me more pain than serenity, then I know I need to re-examine that thing's usefulness in the big scheme of my time here on the planet - be it a person, an activity, or a thing.

Great thread, I agree.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Exactly Give and my ex was Tivo :-)

I agree, it is a slippery slope, but common sense needs to be apply.
I don't believe in God, so I don't follow the theory about "let God be the judge"
Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't believe in God, either, but the idea that we are not in a place to judge feels right by me.

How do we KNOW what other people are thinking/feeling/intending or what their potential is or future or reasons or anything. We don't.
He!! I don't know all that stuff for me half the time!
Besides, judging doesn't serve us or them.
If we JUST think about us, we are weighted by our preoccupations with others, anyway. Why not cut ourselves loose?